Steeph
PB 5.5.0.2 and .3 both go to maximum cpu usage whenever the plex is displayed. A few days ago it was fine but now it's always at max. However if I minimise the plex the usage goes down to 0% so it seems to be display related.

I've included an output.log although I don't see anything strange in there. There are some errors, but they're don't seem to be related to the max cpu usage as they are not always there and the max usage is.

I can provide a brainzip (by mail) if needed.
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
Axla
I'm experiencing EXCACTLY the same!
It's bordering on making PB useless!!

Please provide a fix very soon!
jostber
Is the CPU use lower if you don't use a wallpaper?

TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

dyslucksia
In PB 5.0, in a "busy" plex where each parent of the active thought has a lot of child thoughts, this results in many thoughts in the plex and a big increase in CPU usage to keep track of them all. In 5.5, thankfully, we can turn sibling (display only?) off. I wonder if selecting this option might make a difference?

For what it's worth, I use Cacheman XP to give me a running graph of CPU utilization, though there are plenty of other programs which do the same. Another question is whether adding memory to your system might help.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Steeph
jostber wrote: Is the CPU use lower if you don't use a wallpaper?

I don't even have a wallpaper in this particular brain, so I suppose that's not the issue.
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
Steeph
dyslucksia wrote: In PB 5.0, in a "busy" plex where each parent of the active thought has a lot of child thoughts, this results in many thoughts in the plex and a big increase in CPU usage to keep track of them all. In 5.5, thankfully, we can turn sibling (display only?) off. I wonder if selecting this option might make a difference? Another question is whether adding memory to your system might help.

This particular brain is at my Work Laptop and isn't very big.
2 GB of RAM does the trick by the way, I don't think that's the problem. It actually doesn't matter what is displayed in the plex, a thought with some childs and/or siblings or just one lonely thought. If the plex is displayed, CPU is max. Minimise the plex, CPU usage goes down to zero.
The first day or perhaps two days after installing 5.5.0.2 it behaved normally (CPU usage  quite low), but suddenly without any apparent reason it maxed.

dyslucksia wrote: For what it's worth, I use Cacheman XP to give me a running graph of CPU utilization, though there are plenty of other programs which do the same.

I just use Windows in-built taskmanager, displays exactly the same thing.
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
Axla
10 thoughts being displayed, and running 50% of CPU (hogging 1 core). Only when PB is NOT minimised. When minimising, the CPU useage falls to normal levels (0-3%)

Version 5.5.02 does not have this problem.
Harlan
Steeph & Axla (and anyone else that is seeing this problem):

Please describe your setup (version of Java, OS, etc). Also, does this happen on all Brains for you? Also, the the problem occur if you maximize on the of the tools (double click on the Notes tab for example)? Does it happen if PB is in auto-hide and is hidden?

Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
macmoudgi
I had the similar observation...that somehow Java.exe always is taking up 50% or more cpu ...

Also in new beta release, PB icon which stays on screen during the auto hide mode suddenly disappears....you thinking if the PB got shut down or got closed where as you can still the PersonalBrain.exe files in Task Manager with Java.exe at 50%
zenrain
Recreated on Windows XP SP2.
Upon startup, the PB executable goes up to 50% CPU use, and remains there. This doesn't change when I switch to a small brain, although I haven't tested with a brand new brain. Expanding notes has no effect. 
I'm using Advanced tool layout, but I don't believe there is anything special about the layout.
I've also noticed periodically that after PB quits, Java leaps to 50% CPU usage. However I haven't been able to narrow down if it's a result of PB or a reaction to another program running, or a combination of both. Sorry.
I've never seen PB at 50% and Java at 50% at the same time. Then again, I'm not running with task manager open all the time either.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Harlan

I believe we had addressed this issue for the next release, 5.5.0.5.

Regards,
-Harlan
Axla
5.5.0.5b: CPU loading issue is gone on my machine.

@Harland: Thanks!
Steeph
Harlan wrote: I believe we had addressed this issue for the next release, 5.5.0.5.

It is fixed, thanks.
I suppose the reproduction details you've asked to provide are now irrelevant
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
dyslucksia
Yes, 5.5.0.5 doesn't hog the CPU, thank heavens. Well done.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software