Quorcork
Hello!
So far i cannot make out a clear flow of events but PB 4.0.2.7 uncontrollably moves linked files into the brains folder. A document i explicitely linked about two hours ago now shows up as residing inside the brain folder. I'm not sure when this happens, this may involve restarting PB or the whole machine. What is sure is that files that have been linked sometime later show up moved into the brains folder. Very annoying of course.
I'll follow up this posting if i find out more....
Best regards
Silvan Kaiser
mcaton

Silvan - I'm having a bit of trouble duplicating this.  What is the file type that gets moved into the .brain folder (or does it matter?)  And where exactly in the folder do you see the file?  Also, is the original still in place?

Thank you,

Matt Caton
TheBrain Technologies

Quorcork
Hi Matt!
- The effect is not keyed to a specific file type, i found it with .jpeg, .doc and .txt files
- The files are not copied but moved (that's how i found about it, i was suddenly missing some files)
- The files reside in the PersonalBrain.app application folder (see attachement 2 in the screenshot)

Sadly i cannot explicitely reproduce this either. It seems as if the move happens between program restarts, usually it happened to files i linked a day earlier and that showed up as linked in the beginning. One or two days later the file suddenly is shown as seen in the screenshot.

Best regards
Silvan
Quorcork
I just had this bug happening right when linking to a file.

1) I created a new thought
2) I added a link to a pdf file by using the "link to file" button from the dialogue window, worked out ok
3) I added a link to a xcode file by using the "link to file" button (as used in 2), the file immediately shows up as copied into TheBrain's application folder (see screenshot). The file has been moved, it was residing in the same dir as the pdf that was not changed.

Both files where opened by other programs at the time of linking.

Tell me if i can be of further assistance.

Best regards
Silvan
Quorcork
Just had a thought:
I installed PB not in /Applications but in /Users/<myuid>/bin, a dir that my user has write access to. Possibly the behaviour will change when PB resides in /Applications where the normal user has no write permissions.
I moved PB to /Applications now, let's see if this will cause any changes in this behaviour...
Cheers
Silvan
Harlan

I believe one of our engineers, Danny, has isolated how to reproduce this problem. We will look into a fix ASAP. Thanks all!

Regards,

-Harlan

Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan

This issue has been resolved with 4.0.3.0 - out now.

Regards,
-Harlan
Quorcork
Bad news.
Just hat the bug reappear in 4.0.3.0 with two attachements. However it is the first time in days that this happens, so it has become much more seldom.
Cheers
Silvan

PS: Just installed 4.0.3.2, so i cannot say anything about that new version
Quorcork
i just toyed around with 4.0.3.2 and found that the new version(s) have a slightly different bug:

1) Files can be linked into the brain, everything ok.
2) When moving linked files into the brain i found different results. RTF files are moved correctly. ".webloc" files (URLs in a file, drag and drop from the URL of safari to the desktop) are moved into the correct folder ("Files" in my brains directory structure) but are shown in PBs Application Folder (!!!). See screenshot below. The window in the front shows the real location of the .webloc files that where moved into the brain. The window in the background shows the maximized "Select Attachement to Open" dialogue of PB referring to the files shown in the finder.

I don't have the time to look into other file types but this hopefully gives you guys a hint on where to locate this issue.

Best regards
Silvan
Harlan
Hello,

We can't seem to replicate this here... Everything works fine when dragging a .webloc to the desktop and then into PB and moving the file into the Brain. The  location changes to "Internal" after moving the file in.

I did notice that in your example, the files contain a colon character in the name ( : ), which is not valid within a file name. Perhaps this is the source of the issue... How did you get that character into the file name? This should not be possible.

Regards,
-Harlan

Regards,
-Harlan
Quorcork
Hmm, i did drag&drop form safaris URL field to the desktop when creating those files.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software