Harlan

This version marks the official split between the beta release and the 4.0 code. Releases on the 4.1 branch will begin to incorporate significant changes and may be less stable than prior releases. If you are not comfortable working with beta software, stick to the 4.0 releases.

If you don't mind beta, there's more exciting developments right around the corner starting today... Version 4.1.0.0 includes a new window management system that gives you many powerful options for working with the tools windows (notes, properties, search, etc).

In the default setup, you can drag and drop each tool's tab to dock their windows on whatever side of the plex you like. You can also double click on the tabs or the plex background to very quickly maximize the windows.

For even finer grained control, choose Advanced Tools Layout from the Options menu to enable the float and auto hide options menus for tools.

Plus, this release includes several fixes and improvements for search and everything and everything in the 4.0.8.2 release.

Version 4.1.0.0

August 1, 2007

• Tools Window Layout

• The plex can be maximized by double-clicking in the background
      • Double-click a second time to restore the normal view
    • Tools can be maximized by double-clicking on their tabs
      • Double-click a second time to restore the normal view
    • Each tool (Notes, Properties & Attachments, Details, Reports, Search, and Calendar) can be displayed separately
    • Tools can be located on any side of the plex Window
      • To separate a tool’s window, drag its tab to the side of the plex where you want it displayed
        • Tabs can be dragged to any edge of the plex or to any edge of another tools window
      • To merge a tool’s window into another tools window, drag its tab to the center of another tools window
    • The Advanced Tools Layout command has been added to the Options menu (Pro only)

• When selected, this mode places controls in the upper left corner of each tools window for:
        • Maximize/Restore – maximizes the tools window
        • Float – disengages the tools window from the main PersonalBrain window
        • Auto Hide – collapses the tools window into a sidebar that shows only when needed
      • Dragging the title area of a tools window drags all of the tools in that window at once
      • Dragging the tab of a tool drags only that one tool
      • When dragging, tool windows can be floated by dragging away from the PersonalBrain window or into the plex area. Floating can also be forced by holding down the Control key while dragging
    • The default layout shows Notes separately
    • The Reset Tools Layout command has been added to the Options menu
    • The preferences and menu options for changing the orientation and showing notes separately have been removed
  • Changes
    • F2 key can be used in the attachment list to initiate editing of attachment names and URL locations.
    • Better debug output for downloading problems
    • Improved parsing of Web page titles to separate the main title and the label
  • Search Fixes
    • Duplicate search results for the same thought but in different locations (label, notes, etcetera) are merged into one.
    • Search panel resizing bugs fixed (3 bugs related to: large height controls, missing controls, and improperly resized results)
    • Fixed: No search run message sometime shows suggestions
    • Fixed: Location is sometimes shown as “null” in results list
    • Fixed: The last modified date and size information in search results are sometime misreported
  • Fixes
    • When resizing the main window, the PersonalBrain logo sometimes appears below the plex momentarily

Click image for larger version - Name: Tools-Windows-Advanced.png, Views: 459, Size: 90.43 KB
Regards,
-Harlan
igoldsmid
New Tools Window Layout flexibility: Really superb!

IJG
mbaas
Absolutely! But the timing of that release makes me wonder: do you ever sleep, Harlan?
capodieci
First of all, let me applause this new release, it is a great step ahead! you guys are doing an amazing work!

Just noticed a small bug on 4.1.0.0 (windows xp pro updated /  jre-6u2-windows-i586-p), if a thought is not position locked in the plex, when pressing the + sign, and when expanding it moves to give space to the child thoughts, it "forgets" the +/- and . button behind!! (see attachment)

Regards,
Roberto

Click image for larger version - Name: bug.jpg, Views: 422, Size: 81.76 KB
SamCox
The window layout features in 4.1.0.0 are fantastic! Great work. I wonder, though, if double-clicking the background to maximize the plex should hide floating windows.

punkmonksf
Exciting idea... but so far on the Mac, the tool windows are constrained by the larger window structure... i.e. it cannot float above or beside, but only within the larger PB window. (see attached.)

In addition, the contextual menu for the tabs in each of the tool menus is non functional. The option "Maximize" is the only one available and the option called "Dockable" is grayed out and checked by default.

All other options are grayed out.
Karekin

Click image for larger version - Name: pb4.1.0.jpg, Views: 402, Size: 209.47 KB
zenrain
I'm not seeing this in the 4.1.0 release notes, but the copy / paste functionality from web sites now seems to be retaining the formatting instead of converting it to plain text.
Additionally, there seems to be a new feature for image properties. Double clicking on an image in the notes will pull it up. Finally, labels and tags was moved from Details to Properties and Attachments (if I'm remembering correctly).
That's all I've found so far.

Wonderful job with the 4.1 beta so far. Cut and paste retaining formatting was much needed, and the different views really helps workflow.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Harlan
punkmonksf wrote: Exciting idea... but so far on the Mac, the tool windows are constrained by the larger window structure... i.e. it cannot float above or beside, but only within the larger PB window. (see attached.) In addition, the contextual menu for the tabs in each of the tool menus is non functional. The option "Maximize" is the only one available and the option called "Dockable" is grayed out and checked by default. All other options are grayed out. Karekin

In order to enable the other functions, you have to select the advanced mode from the options menu. It's the same on both windows and mac.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Version 4.1.0.1 is up now and fixes a problem with shift+right clicking to delete a non-active thought.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Thanks for all the comments. Glad to hear you all like the new windowing options. We decided to break up the functionality into the simple default functionality which we hope will be suitable for most users while giving the advanced mode option for more sophisticated users.

In PB3, the advanced window options to float windows and rearrange them were the source of many a support inquiry... Hopefully this new set of options give us the best of both worlds - easier to use and also more powerful.

Regards,
-Harlan
bhyl

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of praise for the new window layout functionality.  This really increases usability for me by quite a bit.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software