MikeA
PersonalBrain is well designed as a mouse driven application, but lacks equivalent keyboard shortcuts for navigation. Most noticeable omissions are shortcuts for setting focus to the tool windows (tabs). and closing dialogs with the Esc key.

1. The Properties & Attachments tab - recommend Alt+Enter shortcut key.
2. The Notes tab - recommend F9 shortcut key.
3. The Calendar tab - recommend F10 shortcut key.
4. The Reports tab - recommend F11 shortcut key.
5. The Search tab - recommend F3 shortcut key. 

Note the Esc key gives focus back to the Plex window (current behavior) from any tab or Plex window. Assigning F3 to set focus on Plex is redundant.

However, the Esc key should also close any dialog, the equivalent of clicking the "Cancel" or "X" button.

BROKEN KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS:

1. Windows+Z shortcut does not work. It should activate PersonalBrain when in auto-hide mode.

2. F5 shortcut does not refresh Virtual Thoughts. Instead it sets focus on the Notes tab (old PB3 behavior). Assigning F5 to refresh VTs is preferred over old assignment.

3. When the Plex window has focus, the ALT key should activate the PB main menu. For example, if I type Alt+T keys it should activate the "Thought" menu. Instead, it activate the "Tools" menu in the Notes tab.

Accelerator keys assigned to main menu (i.e. like the Notes menu), and toolbar buttons would be helpful.

After beta, update user's guide (Appendix A) with latest keyboard shortcut list.  Currently, Alt+Left/Right Arrow shortcuts are not listed, and maybe others I don't know about.

-Michael
PB 6.0 Pro
JVM 1.6.0.23
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Harlan
Thanks for your suggestions.

Esc should close all dialogs. If there is one that is not closing via Esc, please let us know specifically.

Windows+Z has been replaced with Alt+Shift+Z.

The user's guide is for 4.0, there are many 4.1 functions that are not covered. Once the beta is complete, a new version of the user guide will be created of course.

Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
Additional request 
Shift-Enter to open attachments works wonderfully unless there are multiple attachments. If you have multiple attachments, it pulls up that window, you can arrow through to select an attachment, but hitting Enter doesn't open it. You have to use the mouse.
It would be nice for Enter to also open the attachment selection also.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
pshanks
I'm using the Alt + Left or Alt + Right for navigation.

I am holding down the Alt key and using + Left or + Right multiple times, However, when you release the Alt button it immediately puts a character in the search field, which disables further navigation until you hit esc to clear the search field.

MikeA

Harlan wrote: Thanks for your suggestions.

Esc should close all dialogs. If there is one that is not closing via Esc, please let us know specifically.

1. The "Properties & Attachments" dialog does not close. - Please fix.

2. The "Selection" dialog does not close. However, since the whole "selection" process currently requires mouse clicks (as oppose to using keyboard keys (e.g. tab) to navigate in the dialog), we might as well close this dialog by clicking on the "X".  Also it is hard to tell when this dialog has focus which of course is needed for the Esc key to work.
-Michael
PB 6.0 Pro
JVM 1.6.0.23
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
zenrain
pshanks, you may want to take a look at my question and Harlan's reply in this thread.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
pshanks

zenrain, have reviewed that thread previously.

My problem is after releasing the Alt key (after using + Right and/or + Left mutiple times) a character is inserted into the search box.
zenrain
The issue results from alt + the arrow combination also appearing as a character when the alt and arrow are not pressed simultaneously. Pressing the two at the same time will resolve the appearance of the character (I tested and confirmed this).
My normal habit when using combination keys is holding down the modifying key (in this case the alt button) and then pressing the other key, this results in the character.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Harlan
On my computer, no character is entered, no matter what the timing... Are you using some international keyboard settings or something? What character appears?
Regards,
-Harlan
pshanks

PB 4.1.2.2
J-1.6.0_03

Using Windows XP the (Alt + Left or Alt + Right) are working ok.

Using Windows Ultimate (Microsoft keyboard) after pressing and releasing the Alt key the following can appear in the search box.

Alt + Left character that can appear ("," or "B" or "¢¼")
 Alt + Right Character than can appear ("," or "♦" 

After releasing the Alt key one of the above character can appear in the search box, I am required to hit the ESC key to clear the search box to continue. 

Here is a movie showing the problem I'm having.

http://screencast.com/t/uafon7ke

zenrain
pshanks hit the nail on the head for mine also.
Another piece of the puzzle is I wasn't able to create this on my Mac. The keyboard I use with Windows is the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (just in case it has anything to do with it).

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
pshanks

I'm using the same keyboard Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 V1.0.

Also using the lastest IntelliType Pro (V6.10.156.0) keyboard driver software from Microsoft.
Harlan
Zenrain, are you also using Vista?

I tried replicating the problem shown in the video, but could not - neither on XP nor Vista Ultimate. So, that leads me to believe that this is a special "feature" of your keyboard... Hopefully one that you can turn off?

Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
No, the windows machine is using XP Pro SP2. It's starting to look like a keyboard driver thing, so when I get a chance I'll see if I can find anything.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
MikeA
Harlan, will you guys at least implement a shortcut key for the Properties & Atachments tab in the beta?  This tab is used as frequently as the notes tab, and not having a shortcut key for it is a major roadblock for me.

-Michael
PB 6.0 Pro
JVM 1.6.0.23
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software