Harlan
This release has many improvements and new features: Easily merge Brains in a single step, without using copy and paste. Much improved copy and paste. Undo support for linking/unlinking and attachments. Recycle bin support on Windows. Better event reminders dialog box. New search preference. Plus more...

Version 4.2.1.4 *

May 8, 2008

• Merge Brains
    • Added the ability to merge a brain into the currently open brain. The “Merge Brain…” command is under the “File” menu. When this command is selected, the selected Brain is added to the currently open brain.
  • Copy and Paste Improvements
    • A progress bar shows the amount of work being done during both the copy and paste operations
    • Copying Thoughts now copies events associated with the Thoughts
    • Copying and pasting of links now detects if existing links are going to be overwritten and asks if they should be overwritten or skipped
      • This also applies to link types
    • Links are updated if they have been changed once the copy operation is complete
    • When Thought types are copied, the “skip”, “create copy”, and “overwrite” functions all work correctly (older versions were inconsistent and sometimes resulted in changes to types that the user did not ask for)
  • Undo and Redo support for
    • Create and delete link
    • Attachment actions – Copy to Templates, Move File in/out of Brain, Rename , Change URL location.
  • Windows support for the recycle bin
    • When internal file attachments are deleted from PersonalBrain, they are placed into the recycle bin

·         Event Reminders

o    Improved reminder dialog

§  Events can be dismissed

§  Thoughts can be activated

§  Events can be snoozed

§  The reminder window can be left open while working with PersonalBrain

o    Fixed: during the process of creating and event, a reminder for the event sometimes pops up

• Search Preferences
    • New option for merging Thought and content results
    • New option for limiting results to one per Thought
    • Maximum size of attachments to index can be adjusted
  • Changes and Updates
    • Added a context menu option, “Refresh Icon” to re-download the icon associated with a URL attachment
    • Imports can be cancelled while in process through the File > Import > Cancel Import command
    • Added language resource for about dialog
    • Forgotten Thoughts menu entry renamed to Show Forgotten Thoughts
    • Resources updated so “Thought” is consistently shown with an initial capital letter
    • Default setting for virtual Thoughts is off

·         Fixes

• Windows: Now handles shortcut (.lnk) files correctly for drag and drop when MOVE or COPY keyboard modifiers are in use during the drop operation.
    • Fixed various issues with foreign characters not being handled correctly
    • Fixed issue with notes not saving correctly with foreign characters
    • Additional content added to the language manager
    • Linux/Unix: Loads default file associations even if the DefaultUnixCommands.properties file is present
    • Fixed: cannot edit link type color or thickness
    • Better foreign character parsing in HTML title tags
    • Windows Vista - table headers are the correct height (shorter)
Regards,
-Harlan
bsnyder
Wow... v4.2.1.4 early this morning and two hours later v4.2.1.5

What happened?  Any concerns about v4.2.1.4?

b
bsnyder
Well... when I fire up v4.2.1.5 I immediately get task past due notices on all items in the future, beginning tomorrow... they show as -1 days past due

b
Dryopithecus
A lot of improvements! Especially thanks for this one:
Quote: Added a context menu option, “Refresh Icon” to re-download the icon associated with a URL attachment
Harlan

bsnyder wrote: Wow... v4.2.1.4 early this morning and two hours later v4.2.1.5

What happened?  Any concerns about v4.2.1.4?

b

Version 4.2.1.4 is fine on Mac OS, but on Windows and Linux, it fails to delete attachments. This was due to a configuration issue that is resolved in 4.2.1.5.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
bsnyder wrote: Well... when I fire up v4.2.1.5 I immediately get task past due notices on all items in the future, beginning tomorrow... they show as -1 days past due

b

Brad, I've created a new thread to discuss this issue here: http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2697647
Regards,
-Harlan
JosefBetancourt
Congrats on the new beta release.

I'm still on 4.1.2.7 Pro on Windows.   Questions on testing that your company does on the product:
  • Do you have a QA staff that tests this in addition to the beta release cycle?  Do you use the latest unit testing methodologies?
  • Is there an automation regression testing framework that makes sure no regressions have occurred?  In my experiance, products that have a GUI, skip over this part due to the complexity of modularizing or separating the tiers.
  • Is there a performance metric and a way to test it?
  • and so forth ....
You may not want to get into this due to competive  concerns.  But,  I'm sure  that  you can  appreciate  the concerns that a customer may have or what we are thinking of.

-- Josef

Harlan
Josef,

We use a variety of testing methodologies, but I can't get into details here. FWIW, there are hundreds of active beta users who have been using version 4.2 on a daily basis for months.

I can tell you version 4.2 is already much more reliable than version 4.1 in terms of data stability even though we are still completing a few minor features on 4.2.
Regards,
-Harlan
westbroek
The favicon for links is visible in the attachment window but *not* in the thought. In the thought it just gives the icon associated with webpages (either Firefox or IE)
Harlan
The favicon should be shown unless there are multiple urls attached. Is that the case when you have seen this problem?
Regards,
-Harlan
westbroek
Nope, just one-on-one.

See the attached screenshot: the favicon shows in the attachment window, not on the thought.

Win32 + Firefox

Click image for larger version - Name: screenshot.jpg, Views: 369, Size: 20.67 KB
igoldsmid
Message to Harlan and/or Brain Dev Team:

I am really disappointed that there has been no development of metadata functionality for Thoughts. It is even still not possible to Search for, or produce Reports based on mere keywords...

From my perspective - the information modeling world is much more complex than informal links and merely informal Thought Types.

So for now, Personal Brain is perhaps the most stunning file/web bookmark manager - with the barest bones modeling formalities. I am really disappointed that I find I cannot use Personal Brain seriously due to its modeling limitations. Really a shame because the Graphical User Interface is literally stunning and best of breed by a very long shot.

But for the "real" world, Thoughts need more formal and custom metadata, perhaps in the form of assigning custom attributes/values - thus with the ability to filter a large Brain Model by arbitrary combinations of Thought attributes/values (in addition to just thought types and content text strings)... And indeed save Searches and Reports for reuse - maybe even save them as a special Type of Thought in the plex.

Is there ever going to be a release that provides more advanced modeling and filtering? And if so, about when?

Potentially, using the basic Semantic Web Modeling language called RDF, or possibly RDFS as the formal modeling infrastructure would be a great step forwards. This would also greatly promote sharing and collaboration.

Thanks,
IJG
grave
westbroek wrote: Nope, just one-on-one. See the attached screenshot: the favicon shows in the attachment window, not on the thought. Win32 + Firefox

Same issue in 4.2.1.6
Harlan

westbroek wrote: Nope, just one-on-one.

See the attached screenshot: the favicon shows in the attachment window, not on the thought.

Win32 + Firefox

Thanks. We'll fix this shortly.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
igoldsmid wrote:
Is there ever going to be a release that provides more advanced modeling and filtering? And if so, about when?

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, we do have plans to add name/value pairs to thoughts in the future. As usual, however, we can't comment on the dates for future features.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software