Harlan
This release fixes most known issues, most significantly those related to instant search, the create Thought dialog box, and copy and paste.

Version 4.5.0.3

June 23, 2008

·         Fixes

o    Fixed: Instant search list and list of existing thoughts in thought creation dialog is sometimes very large

o    Fixed: When creating a new thought or using instant search, sometimes PersonalBrain hangs

o    Fixed: Instant search and sometimes stops working

o    Fixed: Pasting of Thoughts sometimes does not work due to invalid XML and can leave the application non-responsive.

o    Fixed: Instant search sometimes show results even though the query has been cleared

o    Added code to avoid the exception that sometimes prevents the initialization of the main application window at startup under Mac OS.

o    Fixed: Various exceptions in the background loading of Thoughts

o    Fixed: Instant search does not return results when a multi term search using a character such as  a dash is included in the query

o    Fixed: Clicking cancel in the open attachment dialog sometimes opens the last selected attachment

o    Fixed: After canceling a folder import, the import menu remains unavailable and instead shows the cancel import command

o    Fixed: Properties and attachment dialog sometimes fails to update

o    Fixed: Internal folders cannot be deleted

o    Fixed: Custom URI protocols cannot be added via right click “Paste Web Link” command nor via the “Add Attachment > Link to URL” command

o    Notes icon moved to lower right corner to avoid overwriting number of attachments

Regards,
-Harlan
randystokes
I'm a little confused by the version numbers.  It looks like the latest "stable" release is way back at around 4.1.3.6 (I'm actually still on 4.1.2.5).  Why continue to ratchet up the beta version numbers?  When I saw you were at beta version 4.5.x.x, I assumed I was way behind, at least on stable versions, but it looks like that's not the case.  It is rather confusing though.

Randy

Harlan
Hi Randy,

Major changes to the software are designated with an increment of either the first or second number in the version sequence.

The official release version is intended to be mostly unchanging for at least 3-6 months. If there are updates in this period, the changes tend to be very minor and focussed on bug fixes. Meanwhile, the beta version changes steadily, with new functionality introduced on a regular basis.

The reason changes are done in the beta track is that new functionality tends to introduce bugs and thus new releases to fix these issues are needed rapidly. When the beta reaches a stable state, with all of the major issues eliminated, it is feature frozen and turns into the official release.

Regards,
-Harlan
randystokes
Hi Harlan,

Yes, I understand all about betas.  I'm just surprised the betas have gone through 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 and now 4.5, while the stable official release number is still at 4.1.  I'm more accustomed to seeing, e.g., 4.1 as the official release, while you have betas go through increments of 4.2.  Maybe even 4.2b1, 4.2b2, etc., before the final official 4.2 is released.  I'm not saying your numbering system is right or wrong, but I find it confusing.

Fear not, I love the product, and appreciate the work that goes into it!

Randy

Harlan
Hi Randy,

The amount of development that has gone into the next release is why it is 4.5 and not just 4.2. Thanks for your support.
Regards,
-Harlan
randystokes
Thanks, Harlan.  It's truly a wonderful product, and it's clear from the message board that you have a devoted following.

Regards,

Randy

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software