twospoons
Opened a brain file this morning and got the possible data corruption error message.  Closed out of PB and opened it again.  Get the same message.  So I ignore it because I was needing to look something up.  Later, I added a couple of thoughts and tried to set the thought type... but the list of thought types is now empty.  The only option is --Untyped--.  Close out of PB again and reopen... Data Corruption Error again.  So I attempt to brainzip the current brain thinking this will at least be a backup before I go making changes or attempting a restore.  Got the Data Corruption error during the brainzip creation, but it tells me it created it successfully.

The restore from backup seems to have worked brought back the list of thought types, but it looks like I have lost a day or two of work I had entered into my brain file

So I try open the brainzip thinking I could just copy and paste the missing thoughts and be back up and running.  None of my data created in the past two days is in the brainzip I just created.  I can't even find the text files for the notes I had created over the past couple of days.

1)  When this data corruption message appears, what is the correct way to preserve a copy of my brain in its current state regardless of whether there is actually any data corruption or not?

2)  Why am I not able at least find the text files for the notes I had created for these thoughts that are now gone?

3)  Why is it, when I search for these missing thoughts that the search results creates a list of blank items?  If the thought and/or note was completely gone, wouldn't the search results say "no results found"?  Is there any way to recover these missing thoughts?

Wes
Harlan
Sorry to hear that. Was there anything unusual that you think may have caused this to happen (power failure, system crash, unsafe USB drive removal, etcetera)?

When you do the restore from the backup, it will tell you how long ago the backup was made. It does this twice to make sure you understand that you will lose the data added since then.

To answer your questions:

1. In the next release, 4506, which will be up shortly, deals with these types of issues automatically. It also contains changes which should avoid these issues in most cases. If you do encounter a problem, it will guide you through the steps to take based on what it finds.

2. Notes are not stored in separate files.

3. The search index is separate from the actual data and it believes the items are still there, but if they really aren't the preview cannot be seen. (This type of mismatch between the index and the data would only happen in the case of a corruption of the data. Although the search index knows which words are there, it doesn't have all the information, just the number of words)

As for next steps, I would recommend that you hang on to that BrainZip and try opening it with 4506. If that doesn't work, send it to us here at support@thebrain.com and we'll see if we can retrieve some additional info.
Regards,
-Harlan
twospoons

Harlan wrote: Sorry to hear that. Was there anything unusual that you think may have caused this to happen (power failure, system crash, unsafe USB drive removal, etcetera)?

Nothing unusual.  I have been very diligent about always using the 'safely remove hardware' feature in windows with my usb drive since the initial data loss I had early on.

Harlan wrote: When you do the restore from the backup, it will tell you how long ago the backup was made. It does this twice to make sure you understand that you will lose the data added since then.

Yes, I was prompted about the restore point.  However, I was relying on the fact that I just created a brainzip as an extra precaution.

Harlan wrote: To answer your questions:

1. In the next release, 4506, which will be up shortly, deals with these types of issues automatically. It also contains changes which should avoid these issues in most cases. If you do encounter a problem, it will guide you through the steps to take based on what it finds.

2. Notes are not stored in separate files.

I know they used to be.  This must have changed at some point.

Harlan wrote: 3. The search index is separate from the actual data and it believes the items are still there, but if they really aren't the preview cannot be seen. (This type of mismatch between the index and the data would only happen in the case of a corruption of the data. Although the search index knows which words are there, it doesn't have all the information, just the number of words)

As for next steps, I would recommend that you hang on to that BrainZip and try opening it with 4506. If that doesn't work, send it to us here at support@thebrain.com and we'll see if we can retrieve some additional info.

Is there any way to run a report of which items in the index do not match actual thoughts in my brain file?

Wes
Harlan
Wes, you can rebuild your index by selecting File > Utilities > Rebuild Search Index.

On thing that doesn't make sense thinking through this again... If you opened the BrainZip, you shouldn't even have a search index since it is rebuilt from scratch when opening via a BrainZip. Did you try opening the BrainZip with 4506?

Regards,
-Harlan
twospoons
Harlan,  I know I can reindex the brain file, but I was wondering if there was a way to get a list of thoughts from the index that are missing from my brain file.  This would allow me to double check whether I am remembering to create all of the thoughts that are now missing.

After thinking about this some more, the symptoms of this search issue could be alieviated by simply reindexing the brain file as part of the Restore Database From Backup feature.  But I don't think that is the most useful thing to do from a user perspective.  I would much rather have a list of the missing thoughts that were lost due to the data corruption before reindexing.

As far as the brainzip rebuilding the index... Just to clarify, the search result discrepencies I was having were with the restored backup, not the brainzip.  I was unpleasantly surprised that the brainzip also lost the data I was hoping to preserve before attempting the restore.

Wes
Harlan
Wes, I understand now. Yes, you are right, the index should be rebuilt after doing a restore from the database. There is no way to recover data about your thoughts using just the index. It is a one way process - the index can be built from the database, but not the reverse.

The BrainZip you created should not have lost any data unless it was already corrupted and therefore was not put into the BrainZip. That is why I was asking if you had tried opening it using 4506 as I originally suggested.

Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.