JosefBetancourt
PB 4.0.7.4

In conjunction with another topic here, I noticed that a URL that has a fragment is not being fully passed to browser, or at least that is what I see in the address bar of browser.

Recreate
Create a web page that has a section in it (way down the page).
Create a thought that links to the main page: 
file:///C:/temp/temp.html
On web page jump to the section anchor and create a thought with that:  file:///C:/temp/temp.html#section

When you fire the second thought the URL just gets:  file:///C:/temp/temp.html

<BODY>
<A HREF="#section">GoToSectionOne</A><BR/>
01.<BR/>
02.<BR/>
176.<BR/>
177.<BR/>
178.<BR/>
179.<BR/>
<a name="section">
<H1>Section One</H1>
</BODY>

--- Josef Betancourt

Harlan
What browser are you using? http://www.thebrain.com uses # fragments extensively (just click on any thought...) and I have no problem drag and dropping those links. Maybe it is only a problem with local files?
Regards,
-Harlan
JosefBetancourt
Harlan,

Yes, its only for local files.  Tried it on FireFox and IE, same.

--- Josef

JosefBetancourt
Did this make it to the bug list?

Harlan
Unfortunately we looked at solving this but does look like it can't be done. PB is asking the browser to open the full file location including the # fragment. It just doesn't seem to want to work...
Regards,
-Harlan
JosefBetancourt
Harlan,

Thats bad news.  Looks like a Windows issue with the API you are calling.  Maybe a security thing.

I tried opening to the page fragement with Windows Powershell, that works.  The code below opens a new IE and opens to that fragment (after my allowing javascript).

PS Q:\> $ie=new-object -com internetexplorer.application
PS Q:\> $ie.visible=$true
PS Q:\> $ie.navigate("C:\data\brains\brains4\TestBrain2_brain\Files\A7B7344B-F921-4157-0877-69C83AF56CF6\tiddly test page.html#GettingStarted")
PS Q:\>

I tried it with a link from a html page, that works.  The link below will open the same fragment.

<a HREF="file:///C:/data/brains/brains4/TestBrain2_brain/Files/A7B7344B-F921-4157-0877-69C83AF56CF6/tiddly%20test%20page.html#GettingStarted">link</a>

--- Josef Betancourt

JosefBetancourt
Just as a test I downloaded BrowserLauncher2 (an LGPL Java library) and this can open the url fragment in browser.  A quick look at the code shows that it creates a list of browser exe to do its magic.

--- Josef

Harlan
We ask the OS to handle opening of all attachments. While it may be possible to get the browser to open a local # fragment using another method, we'd much rather stick to the standard way of interfacing with the OS. Unless this turns into a bigger issue for other cases, it's not likely we'll change this as it could lead to other issues.

Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software