pshanks

[QUOTE (#4668) Secure sharing of Brains via email address (Online > Brain Access and Sharing)

The generated link from below:

2018-02-16_15-04-17.jpg 

Is bring up the grey bar with Sign Up - Terms of Services - Not logged in - Log In

A read-only access to a shared Brain doesn't need this!

2018-02-16_15-06-14.jpg

TheBrain 10.0.30.0, iOS V9.1.2
Windows 10 (V1809), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.14.x
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

Harlan
If you want to eliminate the bar, use the /embed link, which you can get via the web Brains list > Brain Access and Sharing.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Quick Question:
> When a brain is NOT given public access, but it IS shared via email, will private thoughts in this brain be visible to the readers?
Harlan
Yes, we want to make sure this is clear - that is why the dialog explicitly states "Users in this list will have access to this Brain including Private thoughts". [wink]
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
FYI, the header bar at the top of the web client has been cleaned up and made smaller since this thread was last active.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Thanks again, Harlan -- and my apologies for missing the obvious. I thought I had read this somewhere! ðŸ˜‰ðŸ™„

Also appreciate the more streamlined header bar in the web client. Nice!

In addition, I'm wondering:
> In TB8 we have (and I've been using) the option of sharing non-public brains without sharing the private thoughts.

Will this option eventually be available in TB9, as well?
Harlan
With the exception of very small changes, there will not be any new features added to version 9.0, only bug fixes.

FYI, TB8's sharing is very different from TB9 - it does not allow synced access via desktop client and is exclusively available via the web client.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Thanks for your feedback, Harlan. I very much appreciate the fact that the current focus will be on fixing bugs rather than adding new features.

I also appreciate you clarifying that the TB9 sharing allows synced access via the desktop client. I was not aware of this, and I wanted to confirm several details about this new sharing option:

> If someone shares a brain with me created in TB9:
-- will I automatically have access to this brain when I log into my web client?
-- will I also see this brain in my list of brains in desktop installation?
==> If so, will I have the option to download the brain?
==> If so, may I assume this will be a special read-only download option?

> Also, if someone shares a brain created in TB9 with someone who does not currently have TB installed, can they still view this brain in the web client if they create a brain account?

With my thanks in advance for your feedback about how this new sharing process will work.
metta
FYI, just now tested the TB9 email brain sharing with another brain user and got answers to my first 4 questions:

> If someone shares a brain with me created in TB9:
-- will I automatically have access to this brain when I log into my web client? Yes
-- will I also see this brain in my list of brains in desktop installation? Yes
==> If so, will I have the option to download the brain? Yes
==> If so, may I assume this will be a special read-only download option? Yes

I'm also assuming now that the answer to my 5th question is also "yes". ==> Is this correct?
 > If someone shares a brain created in TB9 with someone who does not currently have TB installed, can they still view this brain in the web client if they create a brain account?

I also have a couple of questions now in light of the new TB9 sharing model:
> What is a typical use case where I might want to privately share a brain (via email) with the intention of allowing users access to all my private thoughts?

> What happens to TB8 brains that are currently shared privately (via email) through the webbrain where all the private (admin) thoughts remain hidden?
==> Will an option for private brain sharing, with private thoughts still hidden, eventually be provided in TB9?
* If not, then this type of shared brain can't be shared after migrating into TB9 until ALL the private thoughts have been completely removed.
mctrexler
A very interesting thread that suggests big potential and a huge problem.  I'll address the two things in different posts. 

1st - I see a very interesting use case for being able to share certain thoughts with someone I've chosen to share a TB with, and who can then download that TB and have it automatically synced, thoughts that aren't available if someone is simply accessing the TB via Web Client URL.  It makes all kinds of subscription TBs a lot more possible. 

IF 

You don't have to have purchased TB in order to be able to access a TB shared with you.  If the use case described above only works if both sides of the transaction have TB Pro, it's not really a useful use case. I can see lots of people being willing to access TBs through this syncing method if they can access everything in that TB, even if they're using the Free TB.  In other words, the normal limitations of Free TB don't apply to accessing material in TB downloads.  

Can someone confirm whether this is actually how this is or will work with shared TB9s?  It would be great marketing for TB, and would no doubt lead lots of people to eventually purchase TB in order to be able take advantage of the possibilities they are seeing on their screens via the shared Brains. 

Mark
mctrexler
A very interesting thread that suggests a lot of potential and a huge problem.  I'll address the two in separate posts:

2nd.  It is hard for me to imagine that TB has chosen to get rid of the idea of private thoughts in shared TB9s.  I use private thoughts for all kinds of reasons - the most obvious of which is when my Brain contains intellectual property I am not at liberty to share with others.  The way TB9 looks to be configured based on Harlan's comment and experimentation, as soon as I choose the option other than "public" to control access to a shared TB, all the intellectual property will become visible to anyone I'm sharing my Brain with.  This is such a massive change from TB8 that it is hard to imagine that it would be done without any discussion or announcement.  I wouldn't be surprised if people end up unintentionally sharing information in their Brains that gets them in a lot of personal or legal trouble, not realizing that in choosing to share their Brain they are giving up ALL privacy to anyone accessing their Brain.  This could easily in turn create legal problems for TB itself, since how TB9 is structured is so "unusual" in how it defines and treats the word "private."  
zenrain
Agreed. If someone shares a database and has thoughts marked as private, those thoughts should not be available to anyone except the owner of the account that created the database.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
metta
Thank you very much, Mark, for your well-considered and well-articulated feedback on this important issue.

You've given voice to my underlying concerns about the fact that private thoughts are now VISIBLE when shared via email.

This is a huge change from TB8 sharing model with potentially significant implications that has been announced with barely more than a footnote on the sharing dialogue box which, as you wisely pointed out, could create (potentially) significant risks for both users and TB alike.

On a practical level, it also means that users who have been actively sharing their TB8 brains via email will now have to completely revise (or abandon) their brain sharing strategy if we don't have an option for keeping private thoughts HIDDEN when TB9 brains are shared via email.
metta

With the current email sharing settings, at the very least I recommend changing the current brain access dialogue box to include a more detailed message that:
> explains the type of access users will have and
> highlights the fact that private thoughts will be visible to the users with whom the brain has been shared.

See the current brain access dialogue box:

1-CurrentBrainAccessMessage.png  

Recommended email sharing notification message:

2-EmailSharing_PrivacyWarning.png 

Harlan
Yes, you can share your brain with anyone and they need not have a license to view your Brain. The recipient can view it either in the web client or in the desktop client (and even the mobile client).

Private thoughts were created for and are primarily used for filtering thoughts out of publicly shared brains. Perhaps it would be more accurate to call them "not-public". For what it's worth, the way private thoughts works is unchanged from version 8 when brains are shared to the client, which was only possible with TeamBrain services in v8. In v9, that capability has been added to all clients in a read-only format.

What is missing from v9 that was present in v8 is the ability to share the web-client only version that hides private thoughts and requires a login. The closest thing to that in v9 is making the brain public and simply not sharing the URL with people who you do not want to see it.

Unfortunately the ability to hide private thoughts from Brains shared via email address and subsequent download to the client is not something that we can implement in a timely manner.

9.0.259 will make the fact that private thoughts are included when sharing via email more obvious and prompt for confirmation when performing this action.

At the risk of disclosing future functionality while it is still yet far off, the current architecture is designed to enable the ability to apply access control to content in a brain on a thought-by-thought basis so that you can specify who gets to see what down to a much more granular level.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software