Harlan
This release includes many fixes and incorporates several requests for improved functionality of the keyboard navigation and mouse wheel functions. Enjoy.

Version 5.0.0.7

November 24, 2008

·         Keyboard Navigation

o    Automatic scrolling when thoughts are highlighted using the arrow keys

o    The display can be scrolled by holding down shift and using the arrow keys

o    Improved keyboard navigation of the outline view.

·         Enhanced Mouse Wheel Functionality

o    The actions of the mouse wheel depend on where the mouse is when it is used:

§  When over the active thought, it resizes the text.

§  When in normal view and over the children, parents, jumps or siblings, it scrolls that set of Thoughts.

§  When in expanded view it adjusts the spacing between Thoughts.

§  When in outline view it scrolls the entire display

·         Changes and Improvements

o    Maximum child columns used in the normal view of the Plex can be configured via Preferences > Look & Feel > Plex

o    Smooth scroll of display when the active Thought is off-screen in outline view and a new Thought is selected

·         Fixed:

o    Fixed: The Merge Brain command does not display “.brain” files.

o    Fixed: Collapse and expand controls on Thoughts do not display during mouseover of a gate.

o    Fixed: Under Mac OS, the file and folder selection filtering mechanism has been improved.

o    Fixed: Under Mac OS and Linux, folder icons don’t display properly.

o    Fixed: Rename in expanded view does not update plex.

o    Fixed: Can’t click select the default time in the event time dropdown.

o    Fixed: Multiple automatic startup links can be present under Windows.

o    Fixed: The Tags tab does not display if version 4.X was previously installed.

o    Fixed: The Tips window does not display at startup.

o    Fixed: The scroll buttons for the past thought list are not hidden when in presentation view.

o    Fixed: The Freemind import does not work due to a missing file.

Regards,
-Harlan
grave
Wow! The new mouse wheel functionality is very expected. Thank you very much. But maybe add the option to change direction of scrolling in outline view?
jostber
That new keyboard navigation with Shift-Arrow keys is great!
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
twospoons
Great work with the mouse wheel and scroll zones.

Quote:
When in expanded view it adjusts the spacing between Thoughts.

I still don't like how the spacing is not expanded/contracted at the same rate/proportions for all thoughts.  For example, increasing the distance with the mouse wheel causes the parent thoughts to fly off the screen, while the children barely even move.  Then using the mouse wheel to contract the distance causes the children to be bunched up extremely tight, and I have to keep scrolling just to get the parent thought back on the screen.
Wes
BHurd
Now that is a fantastic experience.  I find a usability problem that seems unique to me....I post the idea for a feature.....others add a few comments.....the developers take it and make it.....Walllaa, I have a new feature in my brain.

Great work on the scroll zones!!!   THanks!!!

Harlan
grave wrote:
Wow! The new mouse wheel functionality is very expected. Thank you very much. But maybe add the option to change direction of scrolling in outline view?

You are correct, it is backwards compared to other programs. This has been fixed for the next release.
Regards,
-Harlan
PaulYoung
In MacOS 10.5.5
under preferences -> UI-> Mouse Wheel resizing

The OK button does not work  ( Cancel does !!)
(trying to check the preference)

regardsPaul

Harlan
The Preferences OK button has been fixed for the next release also.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. It is always appreciated.
Regards,
-Harlan
Cornan
In 5.0.0.7 I can't seem to find any way to set tags right at the active thought, either in the right-click drop-down menu or in the right-click "Properies" box.

Please restore tag-setting capabilities to the right-click Properties dialog.

I tend to agree with globalizing tags though they haven't been integrated into either instant search or the GUI navigation scheme.  Removing them from the right-click dialog makes them slower to enter, along with the need of creating them manually. 

I have been using tags primarily to augment searching in a way that doesn't clutter up thought names (for example, to include alternate spellings or synonyms as well as "attributes").

So as of 5.0.0.7, tags take one step ahead, 1 1/2 steps back.  (I feel a certain kinship with the the time-and-motion IEs of days past and pay great attention to extra keystrokes and mouse movement).
Cornan
Please provide a global way to turn off tag display in the plex.

Turning off tags one by one is truly painful.
Cornan

In 5.0.0.7, un-checking "Shrink With Distance" is ignored, and the checkbox is checked the next time the Preferences dialog is displayed.

Cornan

In 5.0.0.7 on Windows, the list of tags is case-sensitive.  All tags beginning with an uppercase letter are sorted before tags beginning with a lowercase letter.

Harlan
Cornan wrote:
Please provide a global way to turn off tag display in the plex. Turning off tags one by one is truly painful.

This is already in the works.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Cornan wrote:
In 5.0.0.7, un-checking "Shrink With Distance" is ignored, and the checkbox is checked the next time the Preferences dialog is displayed.

Fixed in 5.0.0.8.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Cornan wrote:
In 5.0.0.7 I can't seem to find any way to set tags right at the active thought, either in the right-click drop-down menu or in the right-click "Properies" box. Please restore tag-setting capabilities to the right-click Properties dialog. I tend to agree with globalizing tags though they haven't been integrated into either instant search or the GUI navigation scheme.  Removing them from the right-click dialog makes them slower to enter, along with the need of creating them manually.  I have been using tags primarily to augment searching in a way that doesn't clutter up thought names (for example, to include alternate spellings or synonyms as well as "attributes"). So as of 5.0.0.7, tags take one step ahead, 1 1/2 steps back.  (I feel a certain kinship with the the time-and-motion IEs of days past and pay great attention to extra keystrokes and mouse movement).

5.0.0.8 enables setting tags via context menu - it's very fast and convenient.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software