Harlan

Version 5.0.1.8 is up as a release candidate. I must say I am quite excited about this release. Based on our internal testing, it is significantly faster than all previous releases of PersonalBrain. Memory usage has also been cut down by a good margin.

If you'd like to see just how fast it is, try Options > Wander, then open preferences and move the animation speed slider to the left...

As always, thanks for your feedback. We're anxious to hear what you have to say about this release.

Get it here: http://www.thebrain.com/#-156

Version 5.0.1.8 (test release)

January 20, 2008

·         Faster

o    All UI actions are snappier. Most notably:

§  Thought activation is much faster

§  Animation is smoother

§  Modifying the selection is much faster

o    Optimizations throughout enable better performance and lower resource utilization

·         Lower Memory Usage

o    Performance caches are smaller and better optimized

o    Memory usage remains relatively flat over time

·         Look and Feel

o    Distant thoughts displayed in the normal view after expanding all are larger

o    The size of thoughts in the outline view are larger

o    The default location of the outline view allows more room for parents and jumps

o    On initial hide of tools windows, a message is displayed to inform how to redisplay the tools windows

·         Wander

o    Wander function now activates a new Thought as soon as animation is complete, so the speed of wandering can be adjusted using the animation speed

o    Wander is now better at covering broader territory and less prone to getting stuck in a small area

o    Fun trick: Turn on wander then open preferences and adjust the animation speed while wander is on in the background. Also try wander with a fast animation speed in expanded mode with fade and shrink distant options turned off.

o    Fixed: The starting Thought prior to activating wander does not stay available in the background

·         Fixes

o    Improved handling of image loading failures

o    Fixed: Siblings do not show in SiteBrain export

o    Fixed: Clicking expand all many times quickly is not handled correctly

o    Fixed: Drag and drop of contacts from Outlook ignores middle names

o    Fixed: The scroll arrow in the past Thought list sometimes appears in the wrong place

o    User preferences are backed up in case they can’t be loaded properly

Regards,
-Harlan
JJS
Harlan, I have two very clear, very obvious calendar system bugs for 5.0.1.7 that were not addressed in 5.0.1.8.

http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/general/suggestions/105155-two-calendar-bugs-5-0-1-7

I know you're steadily issuing releases, and each one represents a clear improvement over the last. But these aren't feature requests, they're verifiable and publicly documented malfunctions.

Calling 5.0.1.8 a "Release Candidate" without taking care of the true known bugs is a disrespect to all of PB's beta testers. A little more attention to the Uservoice system, even just to flag the ideas, would improve the releases and boost the morale of contributors.

jostber
The new version seems a lot more snappy to me during a short testing now. Especially this is much faster:

1. Opening new brains with many thoughts.
2. Go from Normal View to Expanded View.
3. Open active thought with many thoughts in Expanded View.
4. Larger and clearer fonts for Distant View is great.

Other:

1. Loading Saved Views is faster and more precise, but sometimes it makes PB hang.

System:

PB 5.0.1.8
Suse 11.0
java version "1.6.0_10-rc2"

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
mbaas
jostber wrote: The new version seems a lot more snappy to me during a short testing now.

Wow, that's faster than I can think!

Must create uservoice-request to restore previous performance...
Oh, no more requests left - forget it!
BHurd
OMG!  Snappy!  I actually have to move the slider to the right so slow down the animation in normal view just to feel normal!  Good work on the speed and the memory usage looks good too.
zenrain
JJS, I believe the uservoice forum is for feature requests, not bugs. I think the best place to file the bug report as far as response time from the developers is in the PersonalBrain Issues forum.

Edit: Wow! This version has the best performance I've seen in 4.x and 5.x.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
NorthFarm
@zenrain

I also thought that uservoice was for ideas and the forum for discussions and bugs but I asked about it in another thread and Harlan's reply was that everything goes anywhere (I think).

http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3094186

But I agree with you. Also based on the fact that there doesn't seem to have been any feedback from the PB staff in uservoice for a couple of weeks!

On first startup of 5.0.1.8 PB hangs for 5 to 15 seconds between selecting thoughts. Now it doesn't respond.

I'll try to start it up again and see if it fixes itself.

Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 8.0.2.2 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_121
...and now testing TheBrain 9.0.158.0 :-)
NorthFarm
Ups. Cannot open the database after the crash. Output.log and error dialog attached. (Yes I have a backup )

Trying to open the brain again the same error dialog comes up.
----------------------
NorthFarm

It hang again after I opened the backup brainzip file. While I was writing this it came back though. Anyway here is the output.log and a view of al the kvoops.exe that ran while it didn't respond. For a couple og hours now PB has been reindexing. Alternating between 2 kvoops and around 40. For the most part it is unresponsive. Then it wakes up and have suddenly indexed a couple of hundred thoughts. For the last 30 minutes or so it has indexed 1 thought every 2 or 3 minutes. Only 3000 to go, so I am going to shut it down nicely and attach the output.log.

----------------------
Harlan
Hans,

Looks like there is something going wrong with the file indexing process. We will look into this problem right away. In the meantime, I would suggest you simply cancel the prompt to rebuild the search index (instant search will continue to function properly). Alternatively, disable the indexing libraries for now so you can search everything except the file attachments. To do this, rename or delete the "filter" folder inside of PersonalBrain\bin.

Any chance you can send us this Brain so we can see what's going wrong?
Regards,
-Harlan
NorthFarm
@Harlan.

I'm just checking the state of things. Last night I did restart my PC between the attempt to get PB up and running again. But it didn't help. Each time after starting it quickly ran through the already indexed thoughts and then behaved as described in earlier post. This morning it started indexing from the point it got to last night with normal indexing speed and I could not get it to be unresponsive.

In order to try to reproduce the problem am trying to rebuild the brain from the BrainZip just to see if it behaves in the same way again.

One little thing came up here that are not related. When I close the Brain and extract the BrainZip using the "Open Brain" menu item it states that my currently open brain is in the way. So I deleted it, and it is opening normally now. Another thing, when opening the BrainZip the dialog box title says "Opening brain from Continuous backup".

I'm now opening the BrainZip again and it seems to run normally so far.

Do you still want the BrainZip for testing? It's 800 Mb but I can send it through a download utility.
----------------------
Harlan
Your screenshots were enough to convince me to take another look at this. However, they appear to be inaccurate. I took the time to do my own comparison and the results are below. As you can see, there is a noticeable difference. (Your OS makes no difference in how this works BTW and 4.5 and 5.0.1.6 use the same sizing.)

We are planning on adding further configuration options for many things in a future release, but for now this change should make it better for many. Keep in mind that making distant thoughts too large will make the view unusable. Click image for larger version - Name: Distant_Thought_Comparison.PNG, Views: 312, Size: 107.11 KB
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Hans,

Glad to hear you got everything working properly again. We're investigating this behavior nonetheless.

NorthFarm wrote: When I close the Brain and extract the BrainZip using the "Open Brain" menu item it states that my currently open brain is in the way. So I deleted it, and it is opening normally now. Another thing, when opening the BrainZip the dialog box title says "Opening brain from Continuous backup".

Thanks, we're aware of these items and will address them in a future release.

NorthFarm wrote:
I'm now opening the BrainZip again and it seems to run normally so far. Do you still want the BrainZip for testing? It's 800 Mb but I can send it through a download utility.

Thanks for offering, but unless the problem can be replicated with it, it wouldn't be helpful.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Just to clarify, the goal for 5.0.1.8 is to fix high-priority problems that are present in the current official release. Problems that are uncommon and/or have an a simple workaround and feature requests will not be addressed until the next beta release (which is under development in parallel BTW).

So, please be patient. If you submit an issue and it doesn't get addressed, that doesn't mean we didn't hear you or don't care.

We have lots to do and unfortunately when we're not working in a beta release cycle we can't introduce a lot of changes at once since those changes may lead to other problems.

Also, while I do think we have a world-class development team , we do still have to schedule things to get done one at a time.

Keep in mind we have many other things we are working on but not talking about, otherwise there wouldn't be any surprises to look forward to.
Regards,
-Harlan
twospoons

I just wanted to say thank you for the improvements in 5.0.1.8.  I finally got it installed on my home pc last night and it is dramatically quicker at responding to navigation.  I still haven't tested everything out, but the initial impression is a big thumbs up!

Wes

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software