Harlan
This release corrects some problems with the Notes editor and reports. Most notably, under Mac OS, images pasted into Notes are now saved properly. It is not necessary to upgrade to this release unless one of these specific issues is affecting you.

Version 5.0.2.4

February 12, 2009

·         Notes Editor

o    Uses an updated version of the notes editor control, fixing various minor issues.

o    Fixed: On Mac OS, images pasted into notes do not render properly when notes are viewed in a browser or when a Brain is exported as HTML.

o    Debug information for the notes editor can be turned on by creating an empty file called “enableNotesLogging” and placing it in the PersonalBrain program folder (in the same folder as PersonalBrain.jar). Once you have created this file, restart PersonalBrain and if you have a problem with the notes editor, send the output.log file to support@thebrain.com with a description of the problem.

·         Fixes

o    Fixed: Orphan and parentless Thoughts reports are sometimes incomplete

o    Fixed: Preference for maximum number of columns is not saved in a language neutral way

Regards,
-Harlan
Uwe
Something has happened to fonts in notes window. Please take a look at the screenshot...

Regards, Uwe Click image for larger version - Name: NotesFontDisplay.png, Views: 488, Size: 17.78 KB
Moe
Uwe, Thanks for the post.  Did this happen as a result of putting "enableNotesLogging" file in your personalBrain programs folder or something else? I tried to recreate this on the Mac and was not able to.

Best regards,
Moe

Uwe
Just found out, it only happens, if you set Java 6 as default in Java Preferences. No problem with Java 5...

Regards, Uwe Click image for larger version - Name: JavaEinstellungen.png, Views: 456, Size: 7.99 KB
Moe
Uwe, Thanks.  I will have our engineers take a closer look.

Best regards,
Moe

Harlan
Unfortunately, this is a re-offending bug caused by the notes editor component. We'll try and get it fixed ASAP. If you want to, you could go back to the 5.0.2.3 release which does not have this problem, however the benefits of the newer version of the editor outweigh this downside I believe. Thanks for posting.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
The list of changes in the notes editor is too large to post. Literally hundreds of changes and fixes, all of which most people would not notice in normal usage. Significant changes are noted (such as the Mac OS paste of images).

Just to clarify the notes editor is not from JIDE, it is from a different vendor. It seems somehow there is an impression that the tools windows are provided by a third party. This is not the case. Only the Notes editor is a third party component, and even that has been customized significantly for its use in PB. JIDE provides a "docking framework", which enables the layout of the tools windows, not the tools themselves.
Regards,
-Harlan
JJS
I notice that Plain Text comes up as the default on Paste Special in the Notes Editor. That's a worthy improvement.

However, there's an anomaly in RTF handling which I believe is new and perhaps relates to the Mac fix. Try creating some text in Wordpad (XP), change a font or a color, select, copy and paste into PB Notes Editor in Design View. PBNE picks up a jpg image of what you clipped, not the text itself. And it does this even if you "Paste Special" -- plain text. In HTML View, the clipboard text from Wordpad pastes correctly. So we know both renditions are in the buffer.

Don't know if it counts as a bug, but the Design View behavior is a bad setting for PB users, who are really looking to access indexed and cross-referenced text data, not images of formatted text.

XP on 5.0.2.4
zenrain
Thank you so much. I can drag images from safari to notes now on my Mac.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
tcahill
zenrain wrote:
Thank you so much. I can drag images from safari to notes now on my Mac.

(Muted grumblings and whimpers from the Linux users)
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
jostber
+1. I wanna drag images too!
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Harlan
JJS,

Thanks for the info re: paste from WordPad. We'll get that taken care of soon hopefully.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Tim & Jobster: Sorry, most Linux drag and drop issues are truly out of our hands.
Regards,
-Harlan
tcahill
Harlan wrote:
Tim & Jobster: Sorry, most Linux drag and drop issues are truly out of our hands.

Yes, I'm aware and agree. I'll try to be happy for the Mac users.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
zenrain
Quote:
Yes, I'm aware and agree. I'll try to be happy for the Mac users.

If it helps, I've curbed my enthusiasm and put the pom-poms away.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software