Harlan

Version 5.0.3.7

June 26, 2009

·         Includes Japanese translation

·         Fixed problem where BrainZips from newly created Brains have a zero length.brain file (this problem does not affect normal operation with PersonalBrain, but can cause trouble if an external application needs the information in this file)

Regards,
-Harlan
jostber
dyslucksia wrote: Ctrl-clicking child gates of tags within the pin bar does not add to selection box (June 22, 2009)
http://thebrain.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3537800
Not fixed.

Inconsistent mouse/keyboard behavior in Instant Search (June 16, 2009)
http://thebrain.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3528507
Not fixed.

PB5033 - No Thought type in Child-Thought selector
http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3495288
First reported May 27, 2009 v5.0.3.3
Re-reported June 02, 2009, Windows 5.0.3.6 with Indexing:
Version 5.0.3.6 Create Thought selection box broken
http://thebrain.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3505539
Still not fixed.

Tag renaming and other bugs (April 15, 2009)
http://thebrain.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3424102
Not fixed.

Just to name a few that seem to me to require very little effort to fix.

I hope your new Japanese customers don't mind inheriting these problems.

I wonder if these kind of bugs will be handled by new 5.0.x versions or if these will be handled in 5.1?

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Dryopithecus
Did you forget to include the Japanese translation file in the installation?

There are only 3 files in the C:\Programs Files\PersonalBrain\lang folder:
* pblang.properties
* pblang_de.properties
* pblang_es.properties

I guess there should be a "pblang_jp.properties" file there.

jostber
Same for me in the Linux version. Would that mean a 5038 release pretty soon?
tcahill
Pattern?

Release            Date        
Version 5.0.1.5        23/12/08
Version 5.0.1.9        22/01/09
Version 5.0.2.5        23/02/09
Version 5.0.2.7        20/03/09
Version 5.0.2.9        23/04/09
Version 5.0.3.6        29/05/09
Version 5.0.3.7        26/06/09

(All I had to do was omit any releases that didn't line up properly )

I predict Version 5.x.x.x ???   will be released 2x/07/09.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
jostber
Thanks for this clarification.

igoldsmid
would be really helpful if there a new major release soon - as frankly my impression of Personal Brain so far is its a beautiful UI, but its almost merely a glorified file/web bookmark manager. I am used to using products with sophisticated filtering capabilities like Ultrarecall & Zoot - I was hoping to replace these because of their folder tree/list only presentation, but for me, I haven't found any way to manage complex projects and actions in Personal Brain. I've seen the demos and recorded webinars purporting to show PB as a tool to manage projects - but doesn't work for me.

There needs to be additional essential functionality for filtering and filtered list display in PB. For one thing, there needs to be the possibility of creating an unlimited number of Thought Attributes - with unlimited Value Fields covering date, string, yes/no, number... Only being able to add one Attribute (Thought Type) to a Thought is extremely limiting ...Also the calendaring/reminder system is quite horrible .....

hhmmm - my $300 investment isn't currently being well used...

IJG
jostber
igoldsmid wrote: would be really helpful if there a new major release soon - as frankly my impression of Personal Brain so far is its a beautiful UI, but its almost merely a glorified file/web bookmark manager. I am used to using products with sophisticated filtering capabilities like Ultrarecall & Zoot - I was hoping to replace these because of their folder tree/list only presentation, but for me, I haven't found any way to manage complex projects and actions in Personal Brain. I've seen the demos and recorded webinars purporting to show PB as a tool to manage projects - but doesn't work for me.

There needs to be additional essential functionality for filtering and filtered list display in PB. For one thing, there needs to be the possibility of creating an unlimited number of Thought Attributes - with unlimited Value Fields covering date, string, yes/no, number... Only being able to add one Attribute (Thought Type) to a Thought is extremely limiting ...Also the calendaring/reminder system is quite horrible .....

hhmmm - my $300 investment isn't currently being well used...

Regarding the need for unlimited thought attributes, can you use the Tag functionality for this?

http://blog.thebrain.com/types-and-tags/

jostber
More on Project Management in PB:

http://blog.thebrain.com/from-ideas-to-action/

tcahill
dyslucksia wrote:
The level of dissatisfaction and impatience with lack of progress seems to have reached a point

that varies between individuals, and indeed, varies up and down in individuals over time. Perhaps Dyslucksia, you've mearly used the passive voice when you meant to use the first person. Otherwise, it is tempting to conflate some of the commentary into a general assessment of overall (dis)satisfaction. A few of us are much more prolific in our writings on this forum than is the case of with the vast majority of its community members. We choose to post more, but the community has not asked us to speak for them.

TheBrain chooses to host and maintain this unmoderated forum at its own cost, where anyone is free to praise, criticize or suggest. Is there some other corporation out there whose open-ness, when compared against TheBrain's, forces the conclusion that it is TheBrain ....
dyslucksia wrote:
where far more openness, consultation with the user base and progress reports are needed.
?????

dyslucksia wrote:
Judging by older posts, this was far more evident two years ago than it is today.

Or, the team is taking a break.

Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
zenrain
Generally, software companies use a beta process precisely because it's impossible for QA to catch all the bugs that would go out in the wild without adding months of testing time. Beta is a win-win situation as it allows die hard customers to test the software and catch more issues before they affect the entire userbase, while giving them a first hand peak at the upcoming functionality.

Some companies only do private beta's precisely for the reason that is cropping up here. Customers not familiar with what beta actually means (not Google's very loose interpretation of it) install it and complain when they find a bug. 

As far as I can tell, PBs public release is as stable as, if not more stable than other companies. It is simply not possible for any release to be in the wild and not have any bugs period. At least, it's not possible to do that and keep customers due to an incredibly stagnant release cycle.
If you don't want to participate in a beta or test release, then don't. Or, you could also make the request that they adopt private beta cycles.

As far as user dissatisfaction, user forums represent a very small portion of the user base itself and usually consist of power users, people looking for an answer, people who want to request functionality, and people who want to complain.
This community is one of the more polite, friendly and helpful ones out there. If there was general user dissatisfaction, the forum wouldn't even begin to be close to the atmosphere we have here now. Well, either that or it would be dead quiet.

I'm not going to touch usability. If we have suggestions, then we can suggest them. If we have workarounds, we can share them. I'm pretty sure all the frequent contributors know each others opinions by now, and I think the dead horse has been beaten enough for 15 lifetimes. 

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jostber
Dryopithecus wrote: Did you forget to include the Japanese translation file in the installation?

There are only 3 files in the C:\Programs Files\PersonalBrain\lang folder:
* pblang.properties
* pblang_de.properties
* pblang_es.properties

I guess there should be a "pblang_jp.properties" file there.

This seems to have been fixed in v.5038.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software