b4l4nc3r

http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/4597-personalbrain/suggestions/311946-5-5-0-6-beta-accelerators-alt-key

The ALT key combined with a letter, character or number (fore xample ALT+1) is very handy to use for the Accelerators, but it's rendered useless because ALT activates the menu shortcuts as well adding a significant delay to the Accelerator. Combining it with a SHIFT or CTRL or not using it is a workaround, but using it alone within an Accelerator is desired. Perhaps a way to remove the delay?

I remember the ALT+arrows for back and forward working fast before the upgrade, perhaps the lag is newly introduced.

Edit: I was wrong, combining doesn't remove the delay, only abandoning it.

dyslucksia
I get this same problem when using the Alt key as part of a hotkey combination with my macros, though to be honest I haven't tried out their keyboard accelerators yet. In general, leave the Alt key out of keyboard shortcuts for this very reason. It's conventional function these days is simply to open the main menu toolbar and its mnemonics.

Having said this, your problem may simply be that the accelerator won't function effectively until the Alt key is released, which leaves the shortcut hanging until you realize this. Even then, making the Alt key a hotkey for a shortcut that already contains an Alt key combination can be asking for trouble.

I don't know about PB's accelerators, but at least AutoHotkey allows me to program my way out of this mess (which I won't go into here, but read the Keys section in its manual), also using other keys such as the left or right Windows key and the Applications key which normally opens the context menu. It depends on what your keyboard contains, which is determined by your hardware and OS.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
b4l4nc3r
No, the lag comes from the time the menu needs to underline the shortcut letters of the individual menu and setting the pre-selection mark on the file menu. This is activated if the ALT key is pressed regardless whether or not an Accelerator is set to and used. If it's set and used, then it will trigger the set function after the lag.

Edit. btw., the Accelerators work very nicely besides the ALT key handicap. I'm using CTRL+arrows for the back and forward now.
dyslucksia
I can see I'll have to try this one out before I open my big mouth again.
b4l4nc3r
U do that  .. I've another issue... I rant from time to time when I lose it...
Moe
b4l4nc3r, Thank you for the post. I see what you are getting at here. I will pass your feedback along to our engineers to see what can be done about this.

Best regards,
Moe

b4l4nc3r
thnx... I appreciate it!
dyslucksia
PB 5.5.0.7_b

I assigned Alt+K to Edit > Unlink Selection and did not notice any delay. Maybe this has been fixed in the latest release. Which Alt combinations seemed to cause your delay?
b4l4nc3r

Thanks for your input.

Just to be clear, I'm working on XP, the rest doesn't really matter much for this problem I think.

PB 5.5.0.7_b now limits the use of accelerators NOT to use the same combination's as main menu mnemonics. BUT the delay  is STILL THERE!  It's still visible if you look closely at the main menu while pressing the ALT+KEY assigned accelerator, THEN you would clearly see how slow the main menu mnemonics (underlined letters) are underlined! And only after that process would the assigned function be triggered!

Compare CTRL+K or F1 (both trigger the assigned function almost instantly) with ALT+K (almost 4 times slower). It doesn't really matter much to which function you assign it for my point to be clear. But just to be sure we're on the same page, I'm using Options > Search Web.

In this state, the ALT key is for me virtually dead!

b4l4nc3r
If no one can replicate this, then I'll post a link to a screen capture video later.
b4l4nc3r

BTW this restriction is very LIMITING without good purpose! And uncalled for!

If an ALT+KEY accelerator is set, THEN it should override the main menu mnemonics by default. Which I think was the previous behavior. The problem is that no one can experience what I'm experiencing.

dyslucksia
Hmm. I don't notice a specially long delay when I press the Alt key - but then, everything's a bit slow on my PC!

It may be that with so many mnemonics hanging on the use of the Alt key, PB has to scan through its list, and this takes time.

Well in Windows there are plenty of other keys available, even the Windows (WINDOWS) key and the Applications (CONTEXT_MENU) key, should you so desire.

b4l4nc3r
Too bad. Once I've the video capture I'll share.

And I think that you're shooting in the dark, because we're talking about very small amount of data even if it was encrypted it wouldn't take so long. And I see the underlining slowly. If you can't see that, then it's not the same as what I'm talking about.

And you're right about the alternatives. But the ALT key is next to space so when typing it's easier to slide my thumb on top of ALT then Windows. So ALT is preferred if it works right.

BTW, did you compare with CTRL+KEY? Because then you would see the difference ins peed with ALT regardless of how slow your PC is.
dyslucksia
The differences between Ctrl and Alt in terms of speed are to me imperceptible. I really don't know why they should be so different on your machine. Can anyone else out there comment on whether they find accelerators using Alt to be noticeably slower than those using other hotkeys?
b4l4nc3r
You'll see on the video when it's ready. I've no further comments.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software