Harlan
This release includes over 40 fixes and minor updates. Notable fixes and updates include: multiple tag filtering now works properly, notes can be set to copy and paste as text only by default, tags propertly dialog causing CPU problem fixed, calendar events time format problem fixed, plus much more...

Version 5.5.0.7-b

September 18, 2009

·         Reports

o    Tags settings in custom reports must all be matched in order to return a result

§  All tags marked “+” must be present

§  Tags marked “-“ must not be present

·         Notes

o    Added option for notes to copy, cut and paste as text always (Preferences > Advanced > Options)

·         Search and Indexing

o    Instant search “No match found” message includes icon

o    Fixed: Using advanced search with a specific Thought type does not match subtypes of the selected type

o    Fixed: Under Windows, the document conversion process (java.exe) started by PersonalBrain does not terminate if PersonalBrain is abnormally exited and may increase its CPU utilization

o    Fixed: "In selection" option for filtering search results does not update properly when selection is added via report or search results

·         Calendar and Events

o    Fixed: Should not be possible to set event end date/time get set to be earlier than start date/time

o    Events show number of hours (length) even if not on the same day for events less than 24 hours

o    Fixed: Time dropdown in Edit Event does not scroll to the correct area when initially displayed

o    Fixed: Parsing of event times in non-US standard format stops events from saving properly

·         Mac OS

o    Fixed: Selection of thoughts from reports requires use of (non-standard) Control key

o    Fixed: Edit event dialog layout is not right on Mac OS at initial display

o    Various fixes for colors of tag and type menus

o    Disallows backslashes in filenames to enable cross-platform compatibility

·         Reports and Selection

o    Fixed: Control-clicking in reports should not activate the thought

o    Disabled selection menus for setting type and tags when there is no selection

o    Shift+click on reports can be used to ads portions of the report to the selection

·         Colors

o    Color wheel stays shows colors regardless of the position of the brightness slider

o    Hex input area is bigger and works properly

o    Spinners arrows adjust value by increments of 1

o    White and black always appear as instantly selectable colors

·         Tags

o    Tags consistently sort in the same order in menus, tags panel, and in plex

o    Tag and type menus are set to the maximum height of smallest screen

o    Fixed: CPU problem caused by the properties dialog box for tags

o    Fixed: Tag properties window can sometimes appear off screen

o    Fixed: Copy/paste/merge of Thoughts including tags does not work

·         Notes

o    Fixed: Extra space below notes toolbar

o    Fixed: Notes from a brain can save into a different brain when switching brains under some circumstances

o    Increased size of font dropdown in default notes settings dialog

o    Fixed: Continuous backup sometimes does not delete notes backup files

o    Shows title bar of colors dialog in notes settings

·         General Fixes

o    Fixed: Properties and attachments icon and type dropdowns don’t reflect the current edition’s capabilities properly

o    Fixed: F2 rename does not work until F6 is clicked

o    Fixed: Can't copy virtual thoughts

o    Fixed: Sorting by type does not updating sort order when a type is renamed

o    Fixed: Accelerators can conflict with menu mnemonics

o    Longer delay added before screen captures are done

o    Fixed: When create a Thought created from a virtual Thought, extra data is inserted that causes a database constraints violation error message upon deletion of the Thought

o    Fixed: Thoughts are renamed when a URL is pasted into them

o    Fixed: After adding a URL sometimes favicons do not show until later

o    Fixed: OPML import does not work

o    Fixed: Paste URL does not paste to the correct thought in some cases

o    Fixed: Minor problem with colors for thought types

o    Updated Outlook Redemption.dll to version 4.7.0.1026

Regards,
-Harlan
igoldsmid1
looks like major issue of merge brains and copy & paste thoughts not fixed - disappointing
Ian Goldsmid
mbaas
Well, same version - different viewpoint. Extremely pleased that calendar is usable now
NorthFarm

Reports support "AND" function when searching for tags that have several tags applied. YES!!!

Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 8.0.2.2 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_121
...and now testing TheBrain 9.0.158.0 :-)
dyslucksia
After a quick check, I'd like to second Hans's (NorthFarm) comments.
Reports' AND function is the shot in the arm we all needed!

This is a BIG improvement in usability over 5.5.0.6, guys.

You've fixed the "In Selection" bug!!! (http://thebrain.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3660970)
You've also added contiguous selection to Reports (Shift+Click) and finally fixed the Ctrl+Click problem with reports.
F2 works as it should, so I can use my macros on it.
I've noticed some minor issues but won't discuss them here.
Pity about Notes and plain text, but I've got over that. Maybe the next release...

Great work.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
dgpark6
I just wonder whether or not the developers believe that they fixed the compatibility problem with Korean Windows XP as I reported when 5.5.0.3 was released.  Calendar problem was fixed, but I cannot generate a new thought at all. As soon as I type in an alphabetic letter, the thought generation process stops. Interesting observation is that the process works only when the name of a thought is numbers such as 111 or 342. 

Please fix this problem as soon as possible. It worked, but not now. It really annoys me.

zenrain
Very happy with the tag AND reporting functionality. Thank you!
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
HanBav
Thanks for "and" in tags and copy as text only in notes
I did not find an option inside notes window to switch from one option to the other. So I have to change it in options / special each time I want the opposite?

Quick search box still disappearing!?
... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
dyslucksia
Hannes, did you find that Notes in Plain Text mode behaved for you as I reported it in post #4 in this thread, and are you now using it regularly in this mode? If anyone is not getting this line break bug as I demonstrated, please post here and I will re-test on my system.

I agree that having to go into Preferences to toggle this mode is very inconvenient, as it takes no fewer than 4 clicks each time just to do this, and I'm not a clickaholic. (You might find it easier to go into Preferences by R-clicking Preferences in the Plex context menu, but you still don't save any clicks by doing it this way.) Frankly, if Notes didn't have this continuing copy/paste line break annoyance (the one thing that still absolutely stops me from using it, despite all its other improvements), I think I'd start using it again, but leave it in Plain Text mode permanently.

Leaving it in Plain Text mode means that each Notes file I save is a lot smaller, therefore PB runs faster, displays each Note quicker and the Brain is less bloated. If I need to save an image or any formatted text, I can do it as a file attachment. But I would envisage using Notes for myself simply as an auxiliary Label field, but larger in capacity, display state and, of course, multiline.

I haven't yet noticed the Instant Search "box" disappearing. Did you mean the text entry box or the Results box? Will keep a lookout for this problem.

rzw7
Mouse, right click copy from notes does work, unless notes are made full screen.
thanks rzw7
less is more
HanBav
dyslucksia wrote:
Hannes, did you find that Notes in Plain Text mode behaved for you as I reported it in post #4 in this thread, and are you now using it regularly in this mode? If anyone is not getting this line break bug as I demonstrated, please post here and I will re-test on my system.

yes you are right, I checked it. But the result depends on where the text came from: copying from a Note that I wrote myself is pasted with line breaks like it should be.

But copying the Text about version 5.5.0.7 that was pasted from the pdf file results in an non line breaking string if pasted to this post in firefox like follows.

Version 5.5.0.7-b September 18, 2009 ? Reports o Tags settings in custom reports must all be matched in order to return a result ? All tags marked “+” must be present ? Tags marked “-“ must not be present ? Notes o Added option for notes to copy, cut and paste as text always (Preferences > Advanced > Options) ? Search and Indexing o Instant search “No match found” message includes icon o Fixed: Using advanced search with a specific Thought type does not match subtypes of the selected type o Fixed: Under Windows, the document conversion process (java.exe) ....

The same is true for pasting it to word 2003. I could imagine that a CR/LF is crippled somehow. Because I see here in this posting window and in word some special character instead of the line break.

... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
dyslucksia
Yes, that's right I should have been more explicit about where the text comes from.

I suppose I could do all my plain text composing directly in the Note, though I prefer a floating plain text editor for this (more features than Notes, too, such as sorting lines, vertical block delete, etc.). But PB's newline/paragraph bug still bites me when it's necessary to copy plain text out of a Note to paste into an email, say.

Mind you, in all fairness the Release Notes said nothing about this line break bug (should I call it a Dysfunction?). All it said was:

Quote:
Added option for notes to copy, cut and paste as text always

i.e., no formatting.

I also forgot to mention that one time-honoured workaround for copying plain text out of notes into another application  has been to select (in Notes) File > Open in Browser, copy and paste from there. I tried this and have to say that, once the Notes text line breaks were tidied up, Firefox reproduced it perfectly on its browser page. Unfortunately, copying an pasting from there resulted in three blank lines in between paragraphs, as follows:
Code:
Mary had a little text

Its words were black on white
And when she saw this new release
She hoped they got it right!

"to copy, cut and paste as text"
It certainly did that;
But line returns? No sign of them...
Poor Mary's feeling flat.

So there goes that idea...

jostber
There are some errors when installing this in Linux:

> sh *sh
Starting Installer ...
Could not display the GUI. This application needs access to an X Server.
You can also run this application in console mode without
access to an X server by passing the argument -c

> sh *sh -c
Starting Installer ...
Could not display the GUI. This application needs access to an X Server.
You can also run this application in console mode without
access to an X server by passing the argument -c

The install error log is attached too.

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Harlan

The installer has not been changed for quite some time... are you sure that something has not changed on your system?

Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
igoldsmid1 wrote:
looks like major issue of merge brains and copy & paste thoughts not fixed - disappointing

As far as I know, this was fixed... It's working fine for me. Please post a description of what is going wrong and an output.log file if this is still not working for you. Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software