tcahill
Something has become very awry in this latest beta. PB is locking up (partially or wholly) or crashing and exiting outright. At the times PB's display has quit, but the java instance is still running. That instance can sometimes be very resistant to killing.

Rename Brain isn't working just now, and Close Brain afterward seems to have brought PB to a zombie-like halt. The search input box is flashing, and is accepting key-strokes, and finding matches, but the plex is not updating.

Despite the very constant locking up or exitings, I'm not getting any output.log updates. The most recent output.log is dated may 18.

Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
dyslucksia
For what it's worth, I have had none of these problems on my Windows PC machine, though I see Java has just released 1.6.0.16. Try upgrading to that.

I usually run a Windows process manager (Cacheman XP) and if I have to kill PB, I also kill java.exe as quickly as possible. Is your OS Windows too?

Anyway, PB 5.5.1.3 seems to have come out, so hopefully an upgrade will fix your problem.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
jostber
I had some of the same problem, and for me it worked to rebuild with: "File-Utilities-Rebuild Database". Can you try that?

TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

jostber
I have upgraded to the new Java, but still seems to have the freezing problem when adding web links in PB:

http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3718858

It helps to rebuild, but the problem reappears after awhile, and PB must be restarted.

NorthFarm

I'm also seeing a lot of crashes since 5.5.1.2 and now in 5.5.1.3. I cannot find anything that indicates what the problem is in neither output.log or any of the other logs in the brains folder.

Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 8.0.2.2 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_121
...and now testing TheBrain 9.0.158.0 :-)
jostber
NorthFarm wrote:

I'm also seeing a lot of crashes since 5.5.1.2 and now in 5.5.1.3. I cannot find anything that indicates what the problem is in neither output.log or any of the other logs in the brains folder.

Then this might be a problem on Windows too? I will test 5.5.1.4 and check if this problem persists.

jostber
To me 5.5.1.4 seems more stable regarding adding links, but Shift-arrow keys seems to initiate a memory leak. If these are used PB start going really slow. Using the mouse to move the plex works as expected.

Moe
jostber, testing shift+arrow keys in 5.5.1.4 (Ubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24), J-1.6.0_16) no sign of a memory leak. Is anybody else seeing this?

Quote:
Posted by: NorthFarm

Nortfarm, do you experience this in 5.5.1.4? Next, when you say "I'm seeing a lot of crashes", are you receiving BSODs or is the Plex freezing? There were some reports here about PB becoming unresponsive. Is this what you are referring to?

Thanks
Moe

jostber
Hi, Moe. Regarding my problem, it seems to have been corrected in v.5.5.1.5.

NorthFarm
Hi Moe.

I typically get a Windows dialog box saying that there was a problem with PB and it needs to close. PB closes and I restart it. The restart takes quite a while but PB runs OK after that. Come to think of it, PB normally crashes within the first 5 - 10 actions I do in PB. After I restart it, it normally runs OK until the next time I restart my PC.
----------------------
b4l4nc3r
After a fresh Windows XP install, I've the latest Gateway m285 drivers installed in the correct instructed sequence by the readme files from their site and the Windows Optional (actually graphic adapter update a must for games) driver update. PB 5.5.1.5 still isn't that stable, but for some reason more stable than the previous versions. Only when I use it does my system crash with BSOD on very rare occasions. No other program on my system makes it this unstable. Most of the times PB works fine for hours even with Hibernations and Staby's in between.
NorthFarm

Just had a crash after CTRL-clicking 9 child thoughts to the selection box. Upon restarting PB I did exactly the same and now there is no problem.

----------------------
NorthFarm

New crash after dragging in an url from TheBrain Technologies Message Board!

----------------------
NorthFarm

And yet another... This time I right-clicked a newly created thought.

----------------------
NorthFarm

... and again immediately after reopening PB. I clicked a pinned thought!

----------------------

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software