marcus Show full post »
metta
Previously Harlan wrote:
> V9 is more dependent on fast disk IO - if you have a slow HD it will affect V9 more than V8.

I thought that might be related to the speed issues I'm having on both of my Win7 installations. However, I'm wondering: is the speed of your hard drive not the issue, marcus and a_d?
dlorde
This is my experience on v9 with Windows - an irregular but often noticeable delay between clicking on a thought and plex movement, which doesn't happen with v8. Occasionally, a thought fails to respond to the first or even second click.

I'm using a 250GB SSD system drive with Windows 10, a 4Ghz 4-core Intel i7 processor, and 24GB RAM, so system speed shouldn't be an issue.
marcus
I'm using a 512gb SSD, 16gb ram, and a 4 core 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. It's not a hardware issue.

They're probably pushing the Xamarin's cross platform Mono UI framework to the limits and there's just some hard work remaining to be done to optimize the codebase.
a_d
metta wrote:
Previously Harlan wrote:
> V9 is more dependent on fast disk IO - if you have a slow HD it will affect V9 more than V8.

I thought that might be related to the speed issues I'm having on both of my Win7 installations. However, I'm wondering: is the speed of your hard drive not the issue, marcus and a_d?

I already posted a benchmark of my ssd in the thread in a post before. In my opinion, since I'm using a SSD this should not be an issue. 
TheBrain 8.0.1.3 Win7 x64 J-1.7.0_45
a_d
marcus wrote:

I took another video - you can really see how slow it is by watching the green hover indications, then if you turn the volume up some and listen for the clicks you can see the delay between clicking and anything happening:

Harlan, I tried to reproduce marcus first video, where he is moving the selection between two thoughts. In that minimal example, the reaction time on my machine is much faster. 

However I can absolutely agree with the second video he posted. 
TheBrain 8.0.1.3 Win7 x64 J-1.7.0_45
Harlan
Thanks for all the feedback. It seems there is something else going on that we haven’t figured out yet. We are continuing to investigate. 
Regards,
-Harlan
mcaton
Marcus,

Thank you for sharing.  I'll make sure your video is shared with with the engineering team.  You mentioned in a much earlier post on this thread that the same issue occurs in a smaller, test Brain - is that correct?  I'm also curious, do you see the same lag when you are not in an expanded view?  One other small change to try.  Please click on TheBrain > Preferences > UI tab.  Uncheck the setting for Update displayed content on hover - any noticeable change?

Thank you,
Matt
Harlan
9.0.232 (out now on alpha channel) contains a fix for this issue. Thanks for everyone's input in helping us track this down.
Regards,
-Harlan
lfire
But I think the problem still exists. I use the v 9.0.236
metta
@lfire ~

There are actually many factors that can contribute to slow performance in TheBrain. In my own case, I had painfully slow performance for months that made my V9 brain unusable, and I eventually discovered the problem was related to a conflict between TB and my antivirus program, WebRoot.

When WebRoot agreed to white-list TheBrain, virtually all of the speed and performance issues immediately disappeared.

Don't know if that might be a factor in your situation, but if the response times in the plex are slow, and they don't seem to improve with any version updates, it might be worth testing your brain's performance with your antivirus program turned off just to see if you notice any difference.

Good luck in getting this sorted!
lfire
@metta
Thank you for your method, but it dosn't work for me.
metta
@lfire ~

So sorry to hear this! Hope TB Support will be able to help you find a solution. Have you submitted a help desk ticket along with any of your output logs? This might help TB engineers figure out what's going on....

Also, are you on the alpha channel and using the most current version of TB9? (239)
mcaton
Getting on the latest version through the alpha channel with a new, fresh Output.log file after replicating the issue would be great.

Thanks,
Matt
kbunders

Tested 9.0.264 today and Thebrain 9 is still very sluggish. So bad even I am not thinking about switching from 8 to 9.
Is this solved for others?

Windows 10 | Beta testing TheBrain 9.1.16.0
mcaton
Koen,

We'd love to review your Output.log file if possible.  Could you send one into support@thebrain.com?  Log file can be found by clicking on Help > Open Log Directory in TheBrain 9.

Thank you,
Matt

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software