mctrexler
My largest Brain at this point is 11 GB and involves about 10,000 thoughts and thousands of internal attachments.   I understand that this shouldn't stress the Brain's capacity at all, but I'm wondering about the preferred way to back up a Brain of this size.   Should I be indifferent between a brainzip, and simply backing up the entire brain directory, or is there a preference in terms of likelihood of any problems?
Moe
mctrexler, Both ways of creating a backup are just as efficient. No, you should not be indifferent between creating a Brainzip or making a backup of your Brain directory.

Thanks,
Moe
mctrexler
Thanks Moe.   Just to be clear, you're saying I should be indifferent to which backup approach I use, as long as I'm backing up.   Thanks! 
Spacenexus
My personal recommendation is as follows:

At least two separate backup drives for full mirror copy of your brain directory (use Karens Replicator or similar). The backup drives should be encrypted (use Truecrypt or similar). Preferably keep one backup in a separate location. Create regular brainzips as secondary backups (without attachments for speed) and ensure you do primary backups on your drives every one or two days. Karens Replicator allows incremental backups which means you can run it regularly and quickly.

Always backup before upgrading. Export a copy of your favourite accelerators and themese into a thought for safekeeping.

This backup strategy is infinitely more effective if you keep all your files within PB.

Be overly diligent as habit and your brain will remain robust for decades.

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
mctrexler
Jim, thanks very much for this guidance.

In terms of Karen's Replicator, I remember reading some time ago that one shouldn't use an incremental backup system (like Foldermatch) with brain software because the file structure is so complicated that it's just not reliable.  In your view we've gotten beyond that issue?   Obviously we have with the whole idea of the webbrain synchronization site. 

Have you thought at all about cloud based file synching applications?   Would be nice to get the automatic and ongoing off-site storage.   But would the cloud based synching applications work with Brains?

Thanks!

Mark

Spacenexus

Incremental backups and even using dropbox become a problem if you try and backup with your brain active. Close thebrain software and start the incremental backup. With my 600GB brain it still takes about 90 minutes for a backup which i usually do overnight.

Cloud syncing is for sure an option (Webbrain being clearly built for this purpose) but for me personally I keep all my backups locally/remotely under my absolute control and keep Webbrain for syncing with clients and team members as opposed to backup.

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software