mbaas
This may at first sound silly, I admit. But I liked the idea of linking events to ppl, companies, ideas and activities which made the whole thing very interesting.
So I have setup a structure like 2007 with children 01 Jan - 12 Dec (numbering to sort them correctly) and then thoughts from 01 to 31 for each of these.

The result looks incredibly nice from an artistic point of view , but is not too practical too work with or to navigate. And there are all those details like the (prohibitive) amount of work needed to set this up, the positioning of thoughts etc.

But maybe me idea about the thought-hierarchy wasn't so brilliant? Comments please!

Click image for larger version - Name: brainagn.jpg, Views: 1715, Size: 150.45 KB
punkmonksf
not such a bad idea. under the old brainsoftware yahoo group, there was a calendar brain with dates through the year 2020 that you can import into PersonalBrain 4.0.x

i am attaching it here. i don't recall who created it. i would suggest importing it into a test brain before importing it into a working brain... just to see if you like it.
Karekin

Spacenexus
Hey great!!

That was my old calendar brain from a few years back. I still use it in an imported form within my main brain though of course Pro's calendar feature will cover most of the requirement.

Glad to see it's still kicking around!

cheers

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
mbaas
Thanks, I'll have a good look at that!
Spacenexus

Perhaps when the PB-API is released some smart dude could generate a function that automatically links tasks entered into PB4's calendar as children of the imported calendar brain for zero effort visualisation of all the day's thoughts... or even Outlook calendar events of that day as thoughts....

Just a 'thought'

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
mbaas
Jim, thanks again for doing that massive calendar and punkmonk, thanks for pointing me to it. I have imported it and am linking stuff to it.  (A side-effect is that it has given quite a boost to my statistics )

One problem I am having is to recognize "important" days, or even simpler: days with actions associated, from "empty" days. As that is not so agenda-specific and may trigger a feature-request, I've started a new thread.

Jim, btw, how did you create all these entries? Manually? Or did V3 allow you to import that?

Cheers

Michael

Spacenexus
Ah, glad to hear you're finding it useful... creating that calendar brain was the happiest 8 weeks of my life...!

Seriously, it only took me few hours back in 2001 building the requisite spreadsheet in excel as a calendar function and then exporting as a semi-colon delineated file to word. After that i just pasted chunks into a single child thought for each month and PB3 automatically created the blocks of children a month at a time.

I'd like to say i've come a long way since then but no; i'm just as bad!

cheers

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
mbaas
Ah, that's clever - I have created a thought about that, might be useful in other contexts, too
judge1024
Hey, I'm trying out the pro version.   Why is the calender in PB4 so useless?  Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing yet but,,,,
1.) you can't drag thoughts to calendar days or vice versa
2.) basically, as far as I can see the calendar is a stand alone app inside PB that does nothing related to PB thoughts.

What am I not seeing?

I am looking for mind mapping software that will allow me to organize thoughts/events/tasks down to the date/time level and then dump that into a gannt chart or at least a tabular listing.

Is there any software where thoughts can be hooked to calendar?   (and no, I don't want a bunch of "day thoughts" representing what should be links in the background....

thanks

ed
judge1024
nevermind.  maybe i should rtfm.

ed
judge1024
still...drag and drop support for the calendar and the ability to make multi-day events would bring the calendar up to my expectations.  
ed
mbaas
Hi Ed,

I also find the calendar not really helpful in organizing my stuff, but I hope this is a temporary issue only, as PB is moving at a good pace currently
Personally, I am still using the imported calendar we previously discussed, but mainly for restrospective (diary), not so much for real planning and forward-oriented stuff.

But if the calender-stuff is really important to you and you need a working solution now, I'd suggest to look at Mindmanager, the latest version seems to offer quite a good Outlook-Integration and then there are lots of addins, also to do Gantt etc.

OTOH, PB and MM are really not competitors, each of these has unique features and several ppl here find they really go well together...

HTH

Michael

metavalent
Quote: drag and drop support for the calendar and the ability to make multi-day events would bring the calendar up to my expectations.
Please add my vote for these plus repeating events; then we're DONE! :-) Fantastic work, Team Brainiac! In sum, here's the wish list:
  1. Drag-n-Drop in and out of calendar.
  2. Multi-Day events.
  3. Repeating events (daily, weekly, monthly, annually).
  4. Super Extra Bonus for ICAL import/export. :-)

Steeph
Inspired by the screenshot here and mbaas comments here I thought of a slightly different implementation. Although it is rather a history timeline than an agenda IMHO as I associate an agenda with future appointments etc.

A hierachical structure in the form as in the attached screenshot.

I don't precreate any possible date in the past or future, but just add them when I need them. This works for me as I don't need to add every day.

Also, I prefer the structure YYYYMMDD so you can easily search for a particular year, month or day. Much more useful than the traditional Oct 30, 2007, or 30102007 or somesuch. It just takes 4, 6 or 8 keys to reach any day. You could omit the 2 century digits for even less typing, but I prefer to be complete. This format also sorts perfectly chronological in the plex.

Perhaps such a structure already has been discussed here on the forum, I haven't searched.

Click image for larger version - Name: Timeline.png, Views: 1112, Size: 81.77 KB
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
mbaas
That structure is verye close to Jim's Brain: he's also using yymmdd, but then added (dd MMM yyyy) - it mainly just makes for a nice display and doesn't hurt, so why not  
(And he linked days to months and months to year, nothing else - exactly as you did)
Ok, one reason not use his "extended naming" it might be because that then also gets "inherited" by child-thoughts when creating them with comma-trick, but I found this was not such a bug prob, and preferred adding it for easier readibility.
BTW, I'm also using mine more as a log, or "history timeline", as you said, then related to planning future dates. And I just found that loading a pre-defined structure saved me from creating the though and linking it (to the month) - which I found very appealing, as I'm a lazy guy
I'm routinely also pinning up the current day, so that it gets as easy as possible to create new thoughts linked to it - and I only unpin it, when I've checked off all ToDos from that day (or re-assigned them).
For > 1yr this has worked very satisfyingly for me

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software