RLSprouse
As much as I love TB, I continue to be frustrated with the notes editor in TB9. Notes are very important to me, and I would like a lot more control of formatting and edit functionality.

One simple example is that I don't see any way to control the line spacing between paragraphs. i don't want the large space between lines in my notes. If I end a line by pressing Return, it creates a new paragraph, with the unwanted space. I know I can use Shift-return to get a new line, but then I can't format the individual lines, for example applying an indent, as this indents all the lines in the "paragraph."

I don't see a way to control paragraph formatting or create a new paragraph style. Am I missing something? Could you create a paragraph style without the extra space?

One other minor irritation is the way the formatting toolbar behaves. When you open a thought, the formatting toolbar is hidden in the notes pane. Then when you click in the pane to edit the note, the formatting toolbar appears, and all the text shifts down. Sorry, this bugs me. I guess by hiding the toolbar, you are saving a tiny bit of screen space. How about having a preferences setting that says, "Always show notes formatting toolbar" or something to that effect? Or a button somewhere to toggle the toolbar on and off?

Thanks for your consideration
  ~ Russ
metta
Agree with you completely, Russ, on all counts.

Here are two related discussions:
metta
Also, in case it matters to you, Russ, and you haven't yet discovered it, there is an option in TB9 to open the full notes menu by default, without any pull down menus:
  • Preferences > UI
  • Uncheck "Use compact toolbars for notes"

Like you, I use the notes quite heavily, and I prefer having the full version of the menu available rather than the compact display which (I think) was originally the default setting.
Lunieth
+1
RLSprouse
Thank you, metta! I will review those discussions, and play with that full menu option. I didn't know it existed.
RLSprouse
Hmmm...I uncheck the "Use compact toolbars for notes" option, but I still don't see any "full notes menu." Where is it supposed to be? I am on a Mac, if that matters, and i have updated to the High Sierra OS.
zenrain
When that option is unchecked it should show all menu items, no matter how wide or thin the notes pane, otherwise it will hide some functions under the hamburger dropdown menu.

Hide.png 

vs

Show.png 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
Cerebrum
In addition to the links that metta provided, there's this discussion from almost a year ago: Paragraph Spacing and Text Size.

Still no change so I'll repeat what I said: Shift+Enter is available but it's not necessary when using MS Word or Outlook or OneNote or Notepad or Evernote, or any other text editor that I've used.

And, it's not how it works when composing a response in this forum.
metta
Thanks, Cerebrum, for tracking down this additional discussion! There's definitely a lot of support for this change request.

Russ, just to clarify about the "full notes menu":
> This full menu only appears when the cursor is in the note editor, and
> it does NOT solve the problem of the note menu being hidden by default.

It simply makes all the menu tools more accessible once the hidden menu reappears.

Hope this helps.
Harlan
Thanks for posting. We hear you and know that many people are frustrated with the way line spacing works right now. We have a plan to enable more conventional line spacing as well as add an option for keeping the notes toolbar visible. It will happen as part of an option to do a lot of other cool stuff with notes that people will like.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as just changing the style because if we did that all of your existing notes would suddenly look like all the paragraphs got squished together. We have spent some time coming with a good way to accommodate this as well as check off a bunch of other oft-requested features. Sorry, but it's going to take a little time as there are still other items we are working on.
Regards,
-Harlan
RLSprouse
Thank you, Harlan. It is good to know our frustrations are being heard and considered, and that you have a plan to address them.

I was not suggesting changing the "Normal" style, but rather that another style be added ("Compact"?) so that all the existing notes would not be affected.

Regards,
  ~ Russ  
ratthing
And now thanks to metta I have a new term to add to my UI lexicon:  "hamburger dropdown menu".  :-)
Harlan
RLSprouse wrote: I was not suggesting changing the "Normal" style, but rather that another style be added ("Compact"?) so that all the existing notes would not be affected.

Styles are designed to be applied across an entire brain, not on an item by item basis. Also, we don't have to have to double the number of styles to have compact and normal versions...
Regards,
-Harlan
AmbidexterMan
I'm a big fan of the hamburger menu.

Erik Hamburger
Brigitte
[biggrin]

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software