agnor
For quite some time now, I've been saving copies of webpages that I am interested in, because the net is too volatile (IMHO) to count on it being around later.

Enter PB and its ability (in the pro edition) to save multiple attachments to a thought.  What I've begun doing is saving two attachments for a thought related to a website:  #1 is the "paste web link" option (the URL), and 2 is a copy of the web page via Firefox's "save page as..."* ability, that I then move into my brain as an attachment to that thought.  This way, I have no only the link, but a copy (archive copy, if you will) of that page, in case it disappears.

I'm trying to come up with a way to streamline the process.  Right now, that process is: 

* Create the thought for the page
* In Firefox, save the page to my hard drive (usually my desktop, since it's easily accessible)
* copy the file into my Brain via dragging while holding down the Ctrl key (to place it as an internal file instead of just a shortcut)
* delete the file from my desktop

Which isn't terrible, but it could be better.  The most significant hurdle is having to browse to a folder to save it in instead of being able to copy+paste the thought's attachment folder path (found via the "Open thought folder" function via right-click in PB)

I searched the Firefox plugins site for any that might make this process easier/quicker, perhaps even allowing me to paste a path instead of forcing me to navigate to it, but so far I haven't come up with anything that looks like it'll do the trick.  I'm considering writing my own FF extension, maybe even trying to interface it specifically with PB, but as I've never done any programming with extensions, I view that as a last-ditch effort.

Has anyone else been saving webpages like this?  I'm curious as to what people have done.

Note that this process is for single pages that I'm interested in.  If I were interested in a whole website, I would use something like HTTrack (found it via a different post here in the forums) for saving the whole site locally.

I'm going to continue investigating the ability to paste a path into the "Save As..." dialog box in Firefox.  Seems like this might be the easiest way to make the process smoother.

* Note also that Firefox's "Save as" ability is known for breaking CSS layouts, and you shouldn't use it if you want to preserve the look of the page you're saving.

tcahill
agnor wrote:
The most significant hurdle is having to browse to a folder to save it in instead of being able to copy+paste the thought's attachment folder path (found via the "Open thought folder" function via right-click in PB)

Hi!

I don't understand if/why you are unable to copy+paste the folder path into firefox's save-to dialog. I create the thought, open it's thought folder, copy the path to the clipboard, Return to firefox and click File -- Save Page as.., then paste the path into the filename dialog. Doesn't that work for you? I do it all the time.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Spacenexus
You also might want to unclick the 'Link files on drag and drop to PersonalBrain' checkbox in preferences. This has the effect of moving the attachment into the brain directly and consequently removing the file from the original location all in one go.

cheers

Jim
@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
agnor
You know, tcahill, I was just on my way to this forum to make another post when I saw your response.  I was in Linux (dual-boot with Windows) and realized I could do it there, so I went back to windows to take another look at the dialog box, and sure enough, if you prepend an absolute path to the filename in the "filename" box, it saves it to the path you specified.  Whod' have thought?

Of course, I'll take someone needing to point out the obvious to me over having to custom-code my own solution any day

agnor
Jim,

that also sounds like a handy setting--I'll take a look for it, also, for when I move things into my brain (have quite a lot of files sitting around still to go).

Thanks.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software