Kirby
What is the lowest-friction way to add a generation between Thoughts?  Starting with [Parent↔︎Child/Children] I want to end with [GrandParent↔︎NewParentThought↔︎Child/Children].
--Kirby.
zenrain
Make the parent the active thought. Cmd/ctrl + click the child gate of the thought.

Right-click the selection and unlink. 

Create a new child thought. Activate it. Right click the selection and choose link selection as child to...
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
metta
My strategy is a little different:
> From the parent thought, create the "in-between" thought. This new thought will automatically become active.
> Drag/drop the existing child below the "in-between" thought.
Kirby
metta wrote:
> From the parent thought, create the "in-between" thought. 

Thank you both  😊 .  The above feels more natural to me.  I find I do this a lot, but my brain is barely out of the womb.  Do advanced users think this should be a built-in command?
--Kirby.
metta
Thanks for your feedback, Kirby.

Interesting idea about making this a built-in command! I don't know anything about programming, so I don't know how feasible it would be, but I'd surely use it, if it could be done.

How are you imagining this might work?

Perhaps a sequenced series of selection commands like this?
  1. Select parent thought
  2. Select child thought(s)
  3. Create intermediate thought
Kirby
Users should not worry about feasibility, imho.  It is for us to request features.  Programmers will determine the cost/benefit and act accordingly.  The important part here is that you would use it.  So would I.  A lot.

I don't currently see the need for your #1.

In pseudo code (and with less pretense of robustness than even this imitation form implies):
  • If Selected Thoughts exist, and
    • If all Selected Thoughts have one and only one Parent in common,
      • Then, er, create intervening-generation Thought, and
      • Make newly-created Thought's Name field active.
    • Otherwise (i.e.: all Selected Thoughts do not have one and only one Parent in common)
      • If all Selected Thoughts have more than one Parent Thought in common
        • Ask which Parent Thought to make into "Grand-parent" Thought, and
      • Otherwise (i.e.: all Selected Thoughts have no Parent in common)
        • (Perhaps offer to create un-parented Parent Thought, but on second thought, don't)
        • Abort gently.
  • Otherwise (i.e.: no Selected Thoughts exist)
    • (NB: does not matter how many Parents Active Thought has)
  • End.
--Kirby.
metta
Thanks for your prompt and helpful feedback, Kirby!

Appreciate the detailed sequence you've provided.

Will be looking forward now to feedback from other brain users and TB staff/support.
Kirby
metta wrote:
Will be looking forward now to feedback from other brain users and TB staff/support.

Me too  😊 .  Thank you for bettering and helping this topic along.
--Kirby.
metta
Thank you, Kirby, for the genius suggestion! 😉 Ã°ÂŸÂ‘

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software