Steeph
Hi

Are there any plans to create a PB app for Android?
I would very much like to have my brain always with me on my shiny new Android phone. Preferably a local version, so not a web version.

Also see this Uservoice.

Thanks

PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
jhelewa
I second that, Android is important.  And I would like to see it in an App form and for different form factors (small and tablet sized).  I'd buy it today if it were an option.

With the new Webbrain syncing, makes you wonder why we can't sync up to a mobile device and take TheBrain anywhere.

Even now, I sorely miss "TheBrain" on my IPhone, and I spend a lot of time on mobile devices these days.

FYI: been a loyal TheBrain customer since it's inception.
PatrickW
Android is important ... and the iPhone ... and Symbian ... and Meego ... and RIM ... and HP Palm ... and Windows Phone 7 ... and ...
I don't see them developing a client application for each of them.
THE solution would have been webbrain.

BUT :
- Price for a Premium account : $75 a year for 5 GB (my brain is already 10 GB and growing). Compare that to the $45 for Evernote, which gives you a 6 GB upload per year, with no limits on the total size of your document database.
- In V6 beta, I see no way to prevent attachments to be synced, so I cannot limit the size of my webbrain

Conclusion :
- No way I am going to pay $75 a year only to be able to consult my brain on a handheld now and then.
- And since my brain is too big to upload considering the Premium limits, even with the $75 pricing, it would not work.

Very disappointing ...
zenrain
Agreed that for mobile/online access only it's steep. However, at least in my case for syncing to multiple computers it's more than worth it.

I think currently iOS and android have the only platforms with a large enough base to make developing a native mobile version worth it.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
labische
I am with Zenrain here...most useful and worth paying for will be the added ability to make changes to web brains with the "touch" mobile devices.
Being able to add thoughts and notes "on the fly" with handheld or 'pad' type device is the future.
labische
nw
At some stage, possibly iPad V2, I'll be jumping on the 'tablet' bandwagon, but for the moment my needs are more basic.

I have a relatively low tech mobile phone on which I can reach the internet uisng Opera mini on a small screen. I would like to see a 'mobile' or simplied HTML version of webbrain available which I could access on my phone.

Another facility that I would like to see is the ability to add thoughts via email. As it is relatively fast to fire off an email from my phone that would allow me to easily add todo etc to PB when out and about.

I think these facilities would open up more potential users, rather than native apps for all the various OSes out there.

zenrain
Quote: Another facility that I would like to see is the ability to add thoughts via email. As it is relatively fast to fire off an email from my phone that would allow me to easily add todo etc to PB when out and about.

Oooh, good request. You should put that one on UserVoice!

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
PatrickW
zenrain wrote: Agreed that for mobile/online access only it's steep. However, at least in my case for syncing to multiple computers it's more than worth it.

If your PB is small enough. Many long time users will have a PB much bigger than 5 GB.

zenrain wrote:
I think currently iOS and android have the only platforms with a large enough base to make developing a native mobile version worth it.

I don't know on which planet you are living, but last time I checked, the worldwide smartphone market was as follows :
- Symbian : 44% (only the smartphone part of Symbian is included here)
- Android : 18%
- Blackberry : 18%
- iPhone : 14%
The iPhone lost 3% of its marketshare in one year.

It's very difficult to predict what will happen the next years, but I see Android still be growing firmly, the iPhone losing even more market share, Symbian/Meego probably stabilizing.
zenrain
Sorry, you are correct. I revise my statement.

I think currently iOS and Android OS phones have the only platforms with a large enough base and powerful enough underlying operating system (including dev tools) and phone specifications capable of running a native PB version to make developing one worth it. Edit: Both also include a viable App store solution, and either have or are coming out with tablet solutions that will use the same OS.

I agree that the iPhone is going to lose market share. It's one line of phones, like the Blackberry. Android, Symbian and Windows 7 are Operating systems, and are adopted and implemented in different phones by carriers. What matters is that it it's user base continues to grow, and it retains a good portion of the high-end phone market share.

Finally, I'm living on earth, just like you, there's no need to get snarky.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
PatrickW
zenrain wrote: Sorry, you are correct. I revise my statement.

I think currently iOS and Android OS phones have the only platforms with a large enough base and powerful enough underlying operating system (including dev tools) and phone specifications capable of running a native PB version to make developing one worth it. Edit: Both also include a viable App store solution, and either have or are coming out with tablet solutions that will use the same OS.

Correct, but Symbian + Meego will both have the Qt development environment and I'm quite sure we will see tablets with Meego in the near future.
And the Nokia application store will surely be much better in the future than it is now.
Same story can be told for HP palmOS. Maybe they are bigger than the iPhone in a couple of years. I don't think so, but who knows.
Not that I'm a Nokia, Symbian, Meego, HP fanboy. I'm still using Windows Mobile on this moment (speaking about a living corpse smartphone :-) and an iPod Touch.

zenrain wrote:
I agree that the iPhone is going to lose market share. It's one line of phones, like the Blackberry. Android, Symbian and Windows 7 are Operating systems, and are adopted and implemented in different phones by carriers. What matters is that it it's user base continues to grow, and it retains a good portion of the high-end phone market share.

Well, the user base of the iPhone will still grow (because the amount of smartphones in the world is still growing), but the other branches will probably grow even much more.

zenrain wrote:
Finally, I'm living on earth, just like you, there's no need to get snarky.

I'm sorry I sounded maybe a little bit harsher than intended, but I have read so many wrong smartphone marketshare statements lately, that it is coming out of my ears.

The problem I see is that the smartphone war is only starting and no-one knows what will happen the next years.
If you have a big company and you can have enough developers to create mobile versions of your software, please do.
But as far as I know, The Brain Technologies is not the biggest company, meaning every developer used for programming the mobile clients, will not develop the core product.
And I think we should not underestimate the amount of developing time necessary for implementing and maintaining PB on a mobile device or tablet.
Developing Evernote clients for mobile devices is one thing, developing a mobile PB version, seems a complete different beast to me.
When there is a Android version, people will scream for an iPhone version, Meego version, ...

The webversion is far from ideal for mobile use, but at least it's already there.
The problem is that the way it is offered now, it's no use for a lot of the biggest users of PB.
zenrain
Quote:
The problem I see is that the smartphone war is only starting and no-one knows what will happen the next years.
If you have a big company and you can have enough developers to create mobile versions of your software, please do.
But as far as I know, The Brain Technologies is not the biggest company, meaning every developer used for programming the mobile clients, will not develop the core product.
And I think we should not underestimate the amount of developing time necessary for implementing and maintaining PB on a mobile device or tablet.
Developing Evernote clients for mobile devices is one thing, developing a mobile PB version, seems a complete different beast to me.
When there is a Android version, people will scream for an iPhone version, Meego version, ...

Good points, I completely agree.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
rhodes

Quote: The problem is that the way it is offered now, it's no use for a lot of the biggest users of PB.

I'm not sure whether by this you are referring to the WebBrain version, the SiteBrain version, the plain old desktop/notebook version or all three, but agree that the developers seem to have bitten off more than they can comfortably chew in v6.

There are so many small but vital core "convenience" features that could have been addressed in this latest release but have been neglected that I for one with a high regard for privacy and no need for syncing am happy to wait out this release until they decide to cater for the majority. I'm not going to list here what I think PB really needs, but if anyone is interested, they can PM me.

Alan Rhodes
PatrickW
rhodes wrote:

Quote: The problem is that the way it is offered now, it's no use for a lot of the biggest users of PB.

I'm not sure whether by this you are referring to the WebBrain version, the SiteBrain version, the plain old desktop/notebook version or all three, but agree that the developers seem to have bitten off more than they can comfortably chew in v6.

There are so many small but vital core "convenience" features that could have been addressed in this latest release but have been neglected that I for one with a high regard for privacy and no need for syncing am happy to wait out this release until they decide to cater for the majority. I'm not going to list here what I think PB really needs, but if anyone is interested, they can PM me.

I'm talking about the 5 GB limit for the "Premium" contract.
It's a sort of contradiction :
- When is syncing between computers most interesting -> when you also include your files as attachments in your brain
- But then your brain will grow rather fast
- And when your brain goes over the 5 GB limit
- ... your whole setup comes to a grinding halt

So every "Professional user" who will use brainsyncing, will sooner or later get stuck.

rhodes
@PatrickW: I see what you mean now. Thanks for explaining.
Alan Rhodes
bmac
I believe the PersonalBrain development team should consider teaming up with the development folks at DropBox. This app that runs on PCs, Macs, android, iPads, iPhones, etc. is amazingly functional and convenient and free up to 2 GB of storage. Having PersonalBrain marry into this technology and functionality would set PersonalBrain apart from any other type of document management system.

The reason this marriage would work is that it would allow the user to only save certain files or folders within a brain file. Some brain files are exceedingly large, so much so that I believe would make PersonalBrain on an iPhone or android slow and possibly difficult to work with. Using DropBox, the user could transfer critical thoughts from the larger desktop PersonalBrain version into DropBox where it would be synchronized with the other devices the user utilizes.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Windows 10, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB ram, i7

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software