eeik
I've given this feature a good deal of thought. It has evolved for me on the heels of continually grooming my brain database and finding myself adding more and more nuanced richness to the thought icon for a "top level thought" of a hierarchy of other child thoughts.

Ideally, I'd love to one day see support for a beautifully integrated full motion canvas (i.e. MP4 support, HTML5 video, etc.) which obviously opens up quite a few implementation pathways, but, for now, the basic feature suggestion would be as follows:

When researching a topic, I want to be able to invoke a rich thought preview and view my (self defined or AI generated) "visual synopsis" in full motion so I can quickly recall the high level concepts outlined within that thought hierarchy. This visual synopsis may also include either an impromptu self-recorded "remember me later" type voice snippet note or could instead include any other short audio snippet* that is relevant to the material.

*In the case of supporting a snippet of an attached video file, the audio may be configured to be used directly from the video file itself or replaced with any other audio snippet (including direct voice recording).

The evolution of my thought icons over time generally looks like this:
1) Create a new thought and/or attach a URL accepting the automatically imported icon
2) Find and attach a logo or an image that better illustrates the concept
3) Discover a better image, and/or personally create a composite image with annotations
    - basic image editing tools and/or visual design tools depending upon how detailed I'd like to get
4) INSERT NEW FEATURE HERE

Example icons illustrating some of the different stages expressed above:

Current Icon Examples.png 
Feature Implementation Roadmap:
Stage 1: Sometimes, a better "image" can actually simply be an animated .GIF file ... when will rendering these be supported?

Stage 2:
 Secondary tool icon creation workflow support ... for instance, I have recently been compiling several images within a single PowerPoint slide, selecting all slide components, and then pasting them as an image as my thought icon which is great (transparency artifacts can sometimes require a few tries)

Stage 3: Given the pretty rich "preview" integration for certain file types, what might it look like to integrate a single "slide" from an embedded .PPTX file as an animated slideshow type experience that is rendered when hovering over the thought?

Stage 4: full motion (+audio) canvas with rich "icon builder" feature set to help ingest and configure all sorts of Prezi like presentation features

Stage 5: these "full motion concept thumbnails" could be defined as an open standard that could then be shared and/or embedded (by motivated researchers/authors) within a website and pulled in directly, when provided, instead of the default favicon.ico ... motivated content creators/curators publishing "how to" or "intro" articles and/or videos could append the thumbnail to their publication for TheBrain users

Yes? / No? / Maybe So!?
eeik
... and, to add an illustrative example as to where an "audio or video clip" thought icon/thumbnail would be helpful and warranted, I give you, Macbeth.

How does that quote go again?

Sound Memo Would Be Handy Here.png

This behavior can obviously be achieved by embedding the child YouTube link with Patrick Stewart's rendition within the notes of the thought, but in order to access that, the notes area must be open or the link attached must be attached to the parent thought itself to allow a single click on the icon to launch YouTube itself, but then also, you're now jumping out to a web browser instead of quickly rendering the stream within TheBrain.

Stewart's epic rendition begins at the 1'26" mark

... as a sidenote, this "youtu.be" format doesn't seem to presently be supported as embedded YouTube videos within the notes area, therefore scrubbing forward manually is required, I'll email support@thebrain.com with a write-up on the example case.

This is a case I can imagine using quite frequently. The more advanced feature support, that being able to specify a timestamped preview window within the supported piece of audio/video content (either locally media or online when Internet connectivity is available), is what I'd imagine as a goal for the Stage 3 / Stage 4 implementation phases suggested in my post above.

Thanks for your consideration ðŸ‘

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software