ratthing
  1. Navigate to the attachments pane of a thought.
  2. Right-click on an attachment and select "Cut"
  3. Go to another thought, click on the "Plus" tab to Paste the attachment to the second thought
  4. Dialog box appears advising that the attachment is already in your Brain, do you want to navigate to it?

YES I KNOW IT IS ALREADY IN MY BRAIN.  THAT'S WHY I CUT IT TO MOVE IT HERE.  QUIT TELLING ME IT IS ALREADY THERE!!

My perception is that most users would expect a "cut" operation to effectively remove an attachment from the brain and place it into a clipboard buffer of some sort.
metta
+1 -- Cut & paste definitely needs some work.

Would also really LOVE to have option of simply dragging and dropping an attachment from one thought to another as we can do in TB8.
mcaton
Thanks for posting. Were you testing in the latest 10.0.14 build?  I do recall that this was an issue in the past, but I have not yet been able to replicate in this version.

Thanks,
Matt
Underdog
Ratthing, I thought you might already have not one, but two copies of the attachment in the brain and therefore on copy-paste you got the message that the attachment already exists. But I can't even reproduce that scenario!
metta wrote:

Would also really LOVE to have option of simply dragging and dropping an attachment from one thought to another as we can do in TB8.

Yes indeed. Also to be able to drag an attachment into the plex to convert it into a thought!

- Michael
TheBrain 10.0.17.0 beta / 9.1.x / 8.0.2.1 / (PB) 6 || Win7

metta
Underdog wrote: "Also to be able to drag an attachment into the plex to convert it into a thought!"

Oh, yes! +1 Definitely!

I know TB team has their own set of priorities for the development road map, but these features (which seem to me to be very basic) would be at the top of my priority list since they are so fundamental to establishing a smooth workflow in TheBrain.
ratthing
Underdog wrote:
Ratthing, I thought you might already have not one, but two copies of the attachment in the brain and therefore on copy-paste you got the message that the attachment already exists. But I can't even reproduce that scenario!
Underdog wrote:

Yes indeed. Also to be able to drag an attachment into the plex to convert it into a thought!

Michael, please see this video:

https://ratthing.com/~rlopez/tb10att.mp4
Underdog
Well, that certainly is a conclusive straightforward video - and now we see how to reproduce this. You'll notice there is something particular about your attachment, ratthing: it is an external attachment! Only these trigger the warning message; cutting and pasting internal attachments works fine.

Matt, can you reproduce?

- Michael
TheBrain 10.0.17.0 beta / 9.1.x / 8.0.2.1 / (PB) 6 || Win7

ratthing
metta wrote:
Underdog wrote: "Also to be able to drag an attachment into the plex to convert it into a thought!"

Oh, yes! +1 Definitely!

I know TB team has their own set of priorities for the development road map, but these features (which seem to me to be very basic) would be at the top of my priority list since they are so fundamental to establishing a smooth workflow in TheBrain.

Very definitely agree with this!  One of my gripes with the Brain is the difficulty in integrating it with other software.  Flexibility around copy/cut/paste would be a huge boon for me.  
mcaton
Ah, I see that the original issue is occurring with shortcuts.  Looks like it still works, but is displaying the annoying/unneeded message.

Documented for review.

Thank you,
Mat
Harlan
Underdog wrote:

Just tested. This is already working unless you are running on Windows and have your drag and drop preference set to "move". For all other settings and always on macOS, this works correctly at present. We will fix the bug that is causing it not to work when set to "move" on Windows. In the meantime, you can either change your preference or hold down the "Ctrl" key while dropping to make a copy.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
metta wrote:

Underdog wrote:

Just tested. Both of these features are already working correctly on macOS. On Windows it also works mostly unless your drag and drop preference is set to "move". We will fix this bug in a future build. In the meantime, you can either change your preference or hold down the "Ctrl" key while dropping to make a copy.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Harlan wrote: On Windows it also works mostly unless your drag and drop preference is set to "move". We will fix this bug in a future build. In the meantime, you can either change your preference or hold down the "Ctrl" key while dropping to make a copy.

FWIW, I do have my preference sent to "move" (which I much prefer in the vast majority of cases) -- so I've tried using the "CTRL" key, per your recommendation in TB10.0.25 on Win7, and I've had no success copying an attachment into the plex or onto another thought.

Am I missing something?

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software