mctrexler
Having read through the long list of changes associated with 8.0, I'm wondering if I'm missing any changes in Brain 8 that will substantially affect Brain functionality or productivity.   It looks like a lot of tweaking - and that is a very good thing particularly if some long-standing problems like failure to transfer icons during sync have been fixed.  But is there anything "big" that I'm missing?  
Jenni
It sounds more like the development has gone into iOS and (I hope) Android, although there is scant evidence of that. I do like the icons for thought types. Certainly just a lot of tweaking for 2 years of development since R7. R7's first beta was October 1, 2011, it came out on officially April, '12, and last fix was July '12. Cloud services are better, but we pay extra for that anyway. My subscription is up mid-March, so I'll likely have to pay for this next release. I guess I need to think instead that I pay for the cloud and the program is free. Then it won't be irksome that it has taken 2 years. 
- Jenni

Author.Futurist.Educator
enkidu
I only had a brief 2 months of version 6 before buying my 7pro license, so I have no way to compare.
But truly, the v7 to v8 transition feels more like they packaged 1.5 years of bugfixes in a bunch, and called it v8. There isn't any new, specific FEATURE.

But bumping up the version especially for the iOS / Android release is understandable.

What can be surmised from this forum globally is that iOS / Android efforts are taking up most of the resources. That I'm prepared to accept (even though I'm a user of neither).

Then I'll start expecting more features, in v9 ....

cheers
enkidu
HeinrichUnger
That is what I have mentioned several time.

It is nice that there will be Android and IOS Versions, but for the core Windows user NOTHING is done.

TheBrain MUST do something about users, using only Windows and buying for a Combo with Major Upgrades - where are definitifly no Upgrades are seen.
mctrexler
I had heard from one user who's been in touch with the Brain folks quite a bit that they would be implementing a suggestion to allow users to specify the Wander feature, i.e. developing a list of thoughts that would then be the focus of the wandering.   Had hoped that might show up in this version, but doesn't look like it.  There are some other "obvious" changes that would be really attractive, including the ability to work with groups of links, just like we can work with groups of thoughts. 

Overall, don't think we necessarily need to see major changes from one Version to the next, but what's really clear is that Brain needs to communicate better about what it IS doing, and what its vision is.  When the established user base starts to be afraid to recommend the program because we're not sure where it's headed, THAT'S a brand problem that needs to be addressed. 

Cheers,

Mark
mcaton
Thank you all for your thoughts and feedback.  Yes, there have been many advances in our upcoming iOS and Android versions, but the desktop version of TheBrain has been greatly improved as well.  Version 8 has significant improvements in speed and functionality.  Not just little tweaks, but much faster Sync improvements, a faster application start up and enhanced multi-threading (meaning tasks which used to take a long time to complete will now proceed in the background as you keep working in the application).  Many new features and streamlined menu options as well that we'll be highlighting in some upcoming announcements.

Thank you,
Matt
jostber
The new TB v.8 certainly seems more snappy. It's very quick and responsive now. [thumb]
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
HeinrichUnger
@mctrexler

If we do not see "Major" changes in new Versions, that is okay for me. But why then a Combo user licence, which includes Major Upgrades, if there are None? If Thebrain lowers the fee, than it will be okay
HeinrichUnger
@Matt - okay, if you see many improvements for core users - i will wait for the announcement.
pthompson
As Matt has mentioned, the desktop version of TheBrain has been greatly improved since 7. Version 8 has significant improvements in speed and functionality, sync improvements, a faster application start up and enhanced multi-threading (meaning tasks which used to take a long time to complete will now proceed in the background as you keep working in the application). You can also see a list of some of the changes here:

[TheBrain%208%20Features]

A full list of features will be available soon and we're always open to feedback and suggestions.
enkidu
Hello Mr Thompson

I've just seen this in your latest beta announcement :

8. Timeline View of Thoughts – See what thought you created and modified chronologically. Timeline view provides a whole new way to view your thinking.

I haven't found this in the View menu, nor anywhere in the UI.
How is it accessed  ? or is this feature still missing from the current beta ?

kind regards
enkidu

HeinrichUnger
Hi Mr. Thompson,

thank you for opening the Information hiding wall.

And yes there are some new Features, which will bring improved productivity.

Thank you for developping

BR
HeinrichUnger
Hi Enkidu,

I got the Glock beside the Input Field - and there you get the list of the last created(?) thoughts. In think that is meant with timeline view
enkidu
Danke, Herr Heinrich, I think that is indeed it.

Mr Thomson,

looks good : quick-access, date-ordered list of all thoughts. Thanks !

cheers
enkidu
Tracy
enkidu, HeinrichUnger,
Yes, clicking on the clock icon next to search will show you the all new Timeline View. Enjoy!
Tracy
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software