PaulaO
I'm using TB primarily to consolidate my worldbuild files. This is avoiding duplication, not losing something once a project is either closed or finished, finding more, etc. I've just started dipping into it to use it for plot development. I often use a mindmap to flesh out various bits, especially when I'm stuck in a plot hole. But, for me, TB isn't quite the rapid fire, fast as I can think mindmap.

And that's okay! I've discovered SimpleMind can save/export in Freemind format which TB can then import. Twisted path to get from A to C but it works so far. I may be jumping between the two as I progress along. Use SimpleMind to brainstorm then import and clean it up, organize it, and link it with other ideas and research.

Yes, I know there's a video on creative minds and Shakespeare but that's not what I mean. Here's my brain for my writing stuff: https://bra.in/4qeNyj There's still a lot to put together and some things I've left private in order to keep the plot from escaping and spoiling.

So I was wondering if other writers are using TB for their craft. I write fiction now but have done nonfiction in the past.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
metta
Fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing your brain, Paula. Beautiful wallpaper and fascinating to see how you've organized your resources.

Got a chuckle out of your section on "How to Write Good". ÃƒÆ’ƒÂ°Ã…¸Ëœâ€°

Also loved seeing your writing resources! Bookmarked several including some of the Medieval resources and the Phrontistry site. Wonderful food for thought! 🙂
PaulaO
Some of the medieval sites are awesome. There's one with an article about how heavy a sword weighs.

And one I found while wondering if folks back then would even consider being a vegetarian. Come to find out, meat wasn't that common! The woods belonged to the king or duke and you couldn't hunt without permission. Meat didn't last long except for smoked or salted (and both were iffy) so folks didn't raise many food animals.

Glad you liked it! Not gotten too much into icons and the like. Still working on tags and types. I don't think I've used any link relationships yet. It is as much a work in progress as some of my writing!
metta
So interesting! Thanks for the additional background, Paula. I'll definitely keep an eye on your brain in the months to come to see how it develops -- and I agree completely that a brain in active use is nearly always a work in progress.
😉

As for the features you've mentioned, I personally have found types, tags and thought icons to be extremely helpful in managing and finding data in my megabrain. Will be curious to see what you think in the days ahead.

I've also been relying on link types for quite a while now -- but I've only recently begun experimenting with directional links, and they can make a HUGE difference in decongesting the desktop plex. Unfortunately, directional links are not currently working the TB9 web client, but I've been told they will (eventually) be coming.

Do let us know when you have significant updates in this brain that are public -- and, in the meantime, I hope you don't mind that I gave your brain a plug in the forum discussion on "Sample Brains". Thought others would be interested in seeing it, too! 
🙂
metta
Also, in response to your original question about other writers using TB, I'm not doing a lot of active writing right now. However, I am planning a new TB9 project that will eventually allow subscribers to have desktop access to some of my older writing and reflections.

The project is currently on hold, though, until some of the technical glitches with TB9 web client and the notes have been resolved -- but when it is launch, this writing brain will eventually function as something of a "virtual meditation garden".

Also, if you have not already seen it, there's another discussion here in the forum about using TB for writing/publishing ebooks.

FWIW, I've also often thought TB would be a great platform for publishing interactive, hypertext fiction -- but I haven't (yet) heard of anyone using TB this way. Have you?
metta
Also, I'm wondering: have you tried using the MindMap view in TB9 to bypass the need for using SimpleMind and FreeMind?

Just curious if that would suffice and simplify your workflow.

FWIW, the thing I like about the MindMap view is that you can access the notes on ANY thought visible in the plex without having to make that thought "active".
PaulaO
I find the mind map view to be too large. I can't figure out how to zoom out to view more of it. Plus the entry box for making a thought or child or whatever is kinda small. It makes it hard for me to "rapid fire" off a bunch of ideas because I can't tell if I hit the ; or not. And not being able to move thoughts around and manually order them is another arrgh. I know I can do the .01 thing but that's yet another squinting I don't want to do when trying to spit out thoughts, ideas, concepts, character cues, etc. I need to delve into the keyboard shortcuts some more.

As for an interactive book, yeah, it would be cool. "If you think the detective should look in the chimney, click this."

I don't do much outlining of a book, more along the lines of coming up with the premise (what if... or She could...) then running with it. Which means I have to stop and unpaint my plot out of a corner a few times. Mind mapping has done that well for me. I can't seem to do much before I start, though.
metta
Thanks for your feedback, Paula. I agree completely re: the need for some display (width/zoom) controls on the MindMap view -- and the flexibility of idea placement in a standard mind map program is definitely a plus.

Glad you've managed to come up with a strategy that works for you! :-)
PaulaO
I discovered I can zoom in/out. Simple ctrl and the mouse wheel. However, while the sizes of the thoughts shrink/enlarge (you can really zoom fairly far out!), the size of the input for type and tag do not.
metta
Thanks for the tip, Paula0! Much appreciated. ðŸ™‚

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software