TheBrain Technologies Big Thinker Series Presents
Mind Mapping Climate Change and Risk Management in Your Brain
Presented by Dr. Mark C. Trexler
Climate Risk Knowledge Broker
April 16, 2014, 11:00 am Pacific Time, 2:00 pm Eastern Time
Climatography (Climate + Cartography) is the study of how to map out a successful risk management path for climate change, in spite of the many challenges facing both corporate and societal decision-makers.
After more than 25 years of advising companies on climate change risk management, Dr. Mark Trexler decided it was time to try something new. He is now focused on using knowledge management to change the way we perceive climate risks, and to inform better climate change decision-making. To that end he has developed “Climate Watson,” a climate risk management system based on TheBrain software that currently encompasses more than 8,000 documents and more than 50,000 links.
Get a guided tour of expert Mark Trexler’s “Climate Watson,”
and learn how to use your Brain to tackle the most complex issues
Mark will cover:
- How knowledge management is uniquely suited to developing a “theory of everything” when it comes to the numerous facets of the climate change problem (and opportunity).
- How Mark uses Climate Watson to track the ever shifting Climate Action Tipping Point, the point at which a dramatic response to climate change could be anticipated.
- How Climate Watson has evolved over five years as Mark has sought to organize this vastly complex topic in ways that make it accessible not just to him, but to others.
- The many disciplines and insights that have to be included, from science to economics to communications to behavioral psychology among many others.
- How TheBrain’s tools, including thought types, thought tags, thought icons, link types, one-way links, reports, make it possible to organize a virtually infinite amount of information in order to get the right information to the right person at the right time.
- Why a personal Brain is quite different from a Brain intended to inform a much larger audience on a global problem.
This session will also feature an interactive Q&A so attendees can ask Dr. Trexler questions!
About Dr. Mark C. Trexler, Mark C. Trexler has three decades of energy and environmental policy and regulatory experience and more than 20 years of experience advising companies on climate change risk and risk management. With a Public Policy Ph.D. from the University of California at Berkeley, Mark joined the World Resources Institute in Washington, DC, in 1988. Mark launched Trexler Climate and Energy Services in 1991, the first consulting firm to specialize in climate risk management. Mark was most recently Director of Climate Risk for Det Norske Veritas, a global risk management firm based in Oslo, Norway. Mark has worked with companies around the world on climate change risk perception and management, from carbon markets to adaptation. He is widely published on these and other issues, and has served as a lead author for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Mark can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and @climateroulette.
the Brain behind the Brain.