jotapa
Thanks for the preview option on version 0.89. It is a major step forward for The Brain.

A couple of issues, though:

- There is no need for a Preview button, in my opinion. It should preview automatically. We don't press a button to show the Notes - it simply shows up. Same thing should happen with attachments to make information retrieval easier.

If the problem is the fact that some attachments could be too big/take too long to load, then set a threshold.

If you really, really, really want a preview button (for a reason I cannot understand), then it should not appear at the bottom of the screen. The tabs are at the top - including other buttons/actions like open file. Why make the user travel all the way down to press a button for preview? It could also be activated by double-clicking on the tab (now that action is opening the file). 

- Preview Window size should be aligned with the Notes frame. This would make the preview function less intrusive and easier to navigate.

A pop-up box with window size control options could also work (or be an option to pick from), including Maximize/Full Screen mode. Right now, it opens a very small preview window somewhere on the screen - tried Powerpoint and Word - with no resize options (is this a bug?).

Hope you find my suggestions relevant. 

Keep up with the good work TB team!

Best Regards,
Joao
mcaton
Joao,

Thank you for the feedback.  The preview feature is in it's early stages, and will certainly be improved upon in upcoming builds.  I'll document these enhancements and feature requests.

Thank you,
Matt
Harlan
Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear that you are finding the preview useful.

The UI for the preview as well as the icon placement, etc is still being worked out.

FYI, the preview feature is not triggered automatically for technical reasons because of the way Microsoft has implemented it. Sadly: 1. It is not stable (meaning the implementing program, such as Excel/Word/etc, tends to crash without warning on far too regular a basis) and 2. It takes a lot of resources (CPU, memory, time) to load previews. Notes load instantly - if they took multiple seconds to load, we would not load them automatically either.
Regards,
-Harlan
jotapa
Hi Matt and Harlan,
thanks for your quick feedback.

I totally understand the issues about auto-previewing (Microsoft crashes, CPU, memory, ...).

Let's wait for the enhancements you're working on.

Joao
jotapa
Any update on the preview capability improvements?

I still have the size problems that I reported a few months ago:

2016-10-07 18_08_51-TheBrain.png 

Some context information: 

I am running Windows 10 and Office 365 on a high DPI screen (Microsoft Surface Book laptop) - 3000x2000 on the laptop or 4K on my external monitor.

Initially I thought the problem would be this - fixed resolution for the preview that was too small for the high DPI screen, but I reduced the resolution to 1920x1080 and the problem remains - small preview window, totally misplaced on the screen, without any control buttons to move or resize.

Is this being addressed ?

Thanks,
Joao

mcaton
Joao,

Thanks for posting the screenshot.  We've done a lot of development since the first version of Document Preview was released.  I'm seeing now some anomalies with PPTX files.  They are opening above the Thoughts - rather than the content window.  Mine doesn't open up in a minimized version like yours does, but it's still in the wrong location.  Documenting this now for further review.

Thank you,
Matt

Harlan
Sadly, Microsoft's implementation of how document preview works leaves much to be desired. Each individual provider of a preview renderer has the ability to break it in their own special way... This means that while it may work perfectly for some file types, it may not work for others. We are still working to improve it, however some of the problems with the preview function are beyond our control due to its foundation on Microsoft's flaky implementation.
Regards,
-Harlan
jotapa
Totally understand what you are saying Harlan, but you need to either find a solution/alternative to the Microsoft Preview capabilities, or remove it altogether (hope not...).

The way it is working right now is totally useless. Just take a look at the screenshot I posted. It's not even possible to move, resize or close the preview window.

Really hope you can find a solution.
Harlan
Joao,

The problem in your screenshot is unique to powerpoint. Agreed, removing the feature is what we will do if it causes more problem than it is worth. We actually considered not even introducing it into the beta because of the problems we experienced with it. However, there is no alternative available unless you want to switch to macOS and it is possible that some people may appreciate having the ability despite its drawbacks.

As I am sure you can appreciate, there are many other issues we are working on which are core functionality. The problem you illustrate can be avoided simply by not clicking the preview button for powerpoint files. (I suppose we could also selectively disable the feature for viewers that do not work properly like powerpoint.) Once other more core issues are resolved, we will have some time to look into this more. 
Regards,
-Harlan
jotapa
That's fair enough! 

In my opinion, having proper preview capabilities is a very important feature to make TB an exceptional information retrieval tool - something that was missing in previous versions.

I will let you address the core functionality first without bugging you more at this stage, but really hope you have the time to make preview work as it should.

Regards,
Joao

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software