JRH
There is a limit on the size of individual files and total file size that can be uploaded to a web brain. I have been using software that can significantly reduce the size of many files without reducing their quality, thereby allowing more content to be uploaded.

The software is called NXPowerLite Desktop and is available for both Windows and Mac. It's published by Neuxpower (http://www.neuxpower.com). I use the Mac version which will compress PDF, JPG, PowerPoint and Word files. A 4.4MB jpg file can be reduced to as little as 621KB with no loss in quality. They offer a 14 day fully functional trial.
metta
Sounds marvelous! Thanks so much for sharing.
mctrexler
JRH, thanks as well for the solution. Just curious whether you've compared different products and concluded this is best?  Thanks!
mctrexler
A related question.  For the thousands of files already in a Brain, is this or any other compression solution efficient?  For example, just being able to right click on a PDF in a Brain folder and compress?  

But also, would there be any risk to compressing files that are already in Webbrain?  Would Brain even recognize that the file was different (compressed)?

Mark
metta
Good questions, Mark! I'll be interested to see if anyone has experience (and success) using this (or any other) file compression software.
JRH
These are excellent questions that I don't know the answer to, but I will do a bit of playing around and see what I can figure out. What I had in mind when I wrote the post was compressing files before uploading them to get around the size limit on files that could be uploaded.
metta
Understood re: your original intent.

Thanks, though, for your willingness to test the software with existing file attachments and report on what you find! [smile]
CaptainJustice
Would TB still be able to index the contents? Probably not. 
--
The Cap'n
Harlan
The way those types of compression utilities work is transparent to TheBrain. It should work fine. Also FYI, file size limits on individual file are removed in version 9 of TheBrain. 
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Just wondering:
  • What will be the total space allowed for attached files in the new web client?
  • Also, may we assume the total space allocation will be per account, not per brain?
shatcher
Metta,

Users with a Pro Combo License will have a limit of 30 GB of internal attachments per account. That is total storage space for all Brains combined.

Cheers, Sean
metta
Thanks for confirming, Sean.

I'll update my notes accordingly.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software