jupabar
It would be great to have a field to write a small note for attachments in thoughts. It often happens to me that I need to add a memo to one or more attachments of a thought. I know I can do it in the Note's space of the thought but there is no way to link that info to a specific attachment (i.e. some specific info I like to remember about a web page).
I am interested in  science and knowledge. I love nature. I live in a little paradise in the middle of the world called Tumbaco. Welcome to visit me!
zenrain
First, I really like this idea. Sort of a spotlight comments (if you are familiar with macOS) that are easier to access. 

Currently when I do this I separate out the attachments into individual thoughts and make the note applicable to the attachment. The other workaround is referencing the attachment name and then add the note under it (I use a snippet autocomplete for this).
However, these are just workarounds. The ability to add notes to attachments and make them searchable would allow for more information dense brains which I can see being useful in research, medical or other areas.

Several uses I can think of straight off the bat:
  • Attribution (URL the attachment was found)
  • Commentary on research document specific to that document
  • Page number references (for quick reference to specific parts of the document)
Yes, all of these can be done in the notes, but if the Thought notes are specific to the topic and there are multiple supporting documents, this muddies the water. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
lkane
Hey Juan and Alex,

These are great suggestions and I have documented them for future development.

best, 
jupabar
zenrain wrote: Currently when I do this I separate out the attachments into individual thoughts and make the note applicable to the attachment.

Yes that's an option, but  that implies to cluter space with redundant thoughts that deal with exactly same issue. 

Regarding your other input:

Having a reference managment system for attachments would bring Thebrain to whole new level as a research tool. And sources could have their own specific database  so that when the same source (URL, Pdf, etc.) shows up in different Thoughts you won't have to fill the reference fields twice. 

If you think about it, you could even reference specific bookmarks inside a pdf so that you don't just open the pdf as a whole but go to a specif spot inside it. Thebrain could thus take over in research field, where DOCEAR  http://www.docear.org  (unfortunately discontinued) was doing a great job.

I am interested in  science and knowledge. I love nature. I live in a little paradise in the middle of the world called Tumbaco. Welcome to visit me!

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software