esteve999
On my hard drive there is a folder call "TheBrain", which contains what appears to be all me data in a series of folders/file system.  If I run a continuous backup of this "TheBrain" folder to another drive can I restore that data later.  In other words if my data drive crashes will the data I backed up from "Thebrain" folder be restorable?

I understand that I can make a Brainzip, but that is a manual process, while the utility I am running is continuous and always up top date.
zenrain
You need to back up the [brain name].brain file and [brain name]_brain folder. Restoring these will restore your database.
However, only do a full restore, restoring partial files will most likely end up with a corrupt DB.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
esteve999
Thanks zenrain!

So, just to be clear...if I back up entire contents of the folder "TheBrain", which contains the  [brain name].brain file and [brain name]_brain folder for all the Brains I have then that will give me a complete backup of all Brains?

Steve

Darkstar
I keep all my brains in a folder named "My Brains".

Inside that, PersonalBrain places all the data I put into a brain.

It uses a file called "[brainname].BRAIN" (where [brainname] = name of the brain) to store basic inform about "[brainname]".

PersonalBrain also uses a directory named "[brainname]_brain" (again, where where [brainname] = name of the brain) to store all other information (database tables, attachments, etc) all in that directory (and its subdirectories).

To synch a particular brain, you need to have your syncher set to synch:
  • "[brainname].BRAIN" file
  •  "[brainname]_brain" directory (and all its subcontents)
However, you CANNOT have any brain open on two or more machines at once, or you risk corrupting that brain.

It is safer to just use a brainzip (which zips up the "[brainname].BRAIN", and all the non-derived bits in the "[brainname]_brain" (derived means search indexes and anything it can just make again). Generate the brainzip file in a directory which is set to synch across your machines, and just open the updated brainzip on the machine that needs updating. However, it isn't nearly as convenient as having the brain data itself synching up so everything is update and you can just start up PB.

Good luck!
-Darkstar
SamCox
Other discussions of brain synchronization include these threads:

http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3461029
http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3224047
http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3044733

Please read them before relying on file synch'ing tools.

-- Sam
zenrain
Quote:

So, just to be clear...if I back up entire contents of the folder "TheBrain", which contains the  [brain name].brain file and [brain name]_brain folder for all the Brains I have then that will give me a complete backup of all Brains?

Yup

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
JosefBetancourt
Has anyone looked into the ability of scripting the creation of a brainzip via theBrain itself.  That is, it would be nice to be able to run a scheduled script that would close the brain, or check if it is running, then invoke the brainzip process. 

Another option is to just run a script that will check if a Brain DB is open and if not run an rsync of the brain folder to another location.  I guess forcing a Brain DB to close would not be good; perhaps the user can be prompted.

Anyway, its essential that applications support scriptabillity of management processes.

-- Josef

BrentK
zenrain wrote:
Quote:

Yup

I had the same question about restoring PB from a complete backup of the folder structure, rather than using a brainzip file.  I'm glad to see that restoring all of the folders does in fact restore PB's DB, because I take very regular backups of My Documents and I didn't want to have to also manually create brainzips. 

NorthFarm
Hi.

This is an old thread. And having read other post regarding restore of brains the only recommended way to do it is using BrainZips. I believe you could find a host of posts regarding crashes that are related to not syncing or saving through BrainZips.

Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 9.1.9 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_151
BrentK
Thanks, Hans.  Now I'm a little worried about not creating brainzips.

It would be good to hear from a moderator about what the current recommendation is for this. 

Brent

Moe
Brent, Restoring from a Brainzip is safe. Basically there are two ways to backup your Brain (as you already know), create a Brainzip or copy your .brain file and _brain folder. Both are safe methods, it is really up to you to decide which method you would like to use.

Thanks,
Moe
jostber
I rsync all my brain folders to a backup folder on a daily and weekly schedule. I had use for just the other day when some notes started to disappear. Just removed the existing brain folder, and replaced it with the backed up one. Worked like nicely.
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Diego

Quote:
Has anyone looked into the ability of scripting
the creation of a brainzip via theBrain itself.

This an old thread but I'm still waiting for a solution from within the program or using the Windows Scheduler. I have requested this implementation to the support team. Their answer is that this is not currently possible. Of course that it's not, that's why I requested it :-)

Currently I just make backups of the entire folder with a program that use the Microsoft Shadow Copy service and it works.

Well, maybe if many users request a secure LOCAL backup procedure / feature they will listen.

Best Regards,
Diego Fernandez
Consultor SEO Google

jbennett
Diego, 

Thank you for your interest in TheBrain and for your suggestion.  If you are interested in automatic backups and have not subscribed to WebBrain, you may want to check it out.  WebBrain can be set to automatically sync your data to its server, from which you can always download a BrainZip. Otherwise, if you are interested in making this a feature request, check out our Uservoice page (http://thebrain.uservoice.com)  The site is visited frequently by our developers and lets them categorize users' feature requests by popularity. If your feature request receives enough votes, it may become a candidate for implementation in a future release of PersonalBrain.

-James
Diego

Hi John and thanks for your replay.

Yes, I'm aware of WebBrain but I can't afford it and don't feel the need when this task could be easily performed using the Windows Scheduler.

Regarding UserVoice, well. I'm sorry but I disagree with that concept. In general, new ideas have no chance, most popular doesn't always mean better and can lead developers through a wrong path.

Look, I have been in touch with software developers for many years. Some listen, others not. It's their choice.

All the best

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software