calapso
Hi
JI am a newb who just recently stumbled upon PB and the product looks very exciting. I am trying out PB and wondered if anyone can help me out.
I do IT support for 12 schools who I visit once a week. I would like to create a brain that will have Customer IT network details, Hardware, serial numbers,software used, Software keys, IP addresses (all the stuff that goes with IT management)etc. I would also like to record what I did on each site visit and create a ToDo list to remind me what is outstanding for that customer and any reasearch I have to do to solve any problems. It would be good to see a single ToDO list grouped bycustomer at a glance. The Network IT information brain on BrainEKP I saw look good.
Does anyone have a brain that would help me get started that they would like to share? Any other ideas would be welcome. I hope you can help.

zenrain
Welcome!
First thing I would suggest is to create a template for the first school, get the thoughts and subthoughts just the way you want them, and then multiple select, Copy Thoughts, and Paste them 11 times (there are more details in other forum posts on how to do this). That way you are not duplicating work, and they are all uniform.

If you plan to use this as a standalone brain, I'd also suggest that you create 12 types, one for each school. That way you can easily run reports for the to-do's to narrow things down. You can also color code them, so if you have one to-do list with your actions for the schools all under that list you can tell at a glance which one is which. However, if you plan to use your brain for other things as well, its a lot of thought types, and may possibly create a glut of types.

Since one thought can have multiple parents, I would recommend you try having one consolidated to-do list, with all the upcoming items, and then also link the items to a to-do list for each school. You can pin the consolidated list up at the top, so it would be easy to create a child thought from your School to-do list, and then drag another parent link to the consolidated to-do list pin.

Take all this with a grain of salt though. You may go through the setup and find something else works best for you. Don't be afraid to change things as you go along, it's very forgiving.

I've included an example, because sometimes it's easier to see than create a mental picture.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
ShelleyHayduk
This Brain is an example of how you can organize your IT by application, server, database and user communitiy.

Once you have your basic mapping use expanded veiws to get a broader picture of your IT enviroment.

Cheers,
Shelley

Shelley

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software