Harlan
Here's some info to clarify how the expiry of PersonalBrain works. There are two expiry dates - one for the beta program and one for your personal trial (if you haven't already purchased the Core or Pro edition that is...). These two expiry systems are are separate and different as explained below.

Trial expiry:
Everyone gets a 30 day trial of the pro version (without indexing libraries), regardless of whether they use the beta version of the release version. After the trial expires, if the program has not been registered, it reverts to the free version.

Beta expiry:
The beta expires on a fixed date (usually sometime around 60 days from when it was released) for everyone, regardless of whether they have purchased the software or not. When the beta expires, the software will stop working completely. A new beta is always released before the beta expires.

Again, version 4.2 is a free upgrade for all PersonalBrain 4.X users.
Regards,
-Harlan
ibsteve
Hi Harlan,

Forgive me for being obtuse. I just installed the latest beta 4.2.1.4, however PB says "Free Edition." Does the trial expiry kick in even when using the beta?

Thanks,
Steve

Harlan

Yes, the trial is limited to 30 days, regardless of whether you are running the beta or release version.

Regards,
-Harlan
Dryopithecus
Does the Linux version also have a 30 days trail?

On my Ubuntu 8.04, PB expired the first time I launched it.
Harlan
yes, there is a 30 day trial on all versions. Note that if you open an older brain, the date the brain was created on will be used as the start date of your trial.
Regards,
-Harlan
Dryopithecus
Harlan, I'm sure I didn't open an older brain. I tested PB 4135 on Ubuntu 8.04 and Fedora 9 (clean installation), both have the same issue: PB expired the first time I launched it.
Harlan

That's strange. Can you check that there is nothing wrong with the date settings on the machine please? That's the only other thing I can think of that might cause it to immediately expire. Thanks.

Regards,
-Harlan
Dryopithecus
Yes, I'm quite sure the date settings on the machine were fine.
Dryopithecus
Hello,

Am I the only one who experienced this issue?

I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 32bit on a new partition, and installed PB 4215 on it. Again, PB expired immediately when I launched it the first time. I didn't open an old brain and I'm very sure the date settings were fine.

Though this issue doesn't affect my daily use, it's a little inconvenient for testing purposes.

Edit: Just tested 4301 and same issue.
Dryopithecus
It seems the Linux version needs root privileges to activate the Pro trial. So I need to run PB as root when testing the Pro features in VirtualBox.
Harlan

Thanks for posting the update for everyone.

Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software