Rob2050

I have started a new practice of highlighting in Kindle as I read (that part is not new), then exporting the highlights, and now I am adding them to my Brain.

The quotes come in an Excel spreadsheet. I have not tried to make a text file for mass import yet but I might.

Question though on style -- for things that are multiple sentences long, do you create a summary thought title and put the whole quote in the Note, or do you make the title of the note be the quote which could be rather long.

I am leaning towards the name of the note so that it shows up in a search. 

Any thoughts (your example does not have to be book quotes specifically, but just dealing with longer text in general, when to put in a note).

Rob.

metta
@Rob2050 ~

If the quotation is only one very short sentence, i put the full quote and the author's name in the note title, and then duplicate the quotation in the note itself (for reading ease):
> Example - Note Title & Note Contents: "The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are." ~ Carl Jung

For all longer quotations, I put a brief summary or excerpt in the note title, along with the author's name, and then I put the entire quotation in the note.
> Note Title: Acceptance Before Change | Carl Jung
> Note Contents: "We cannot change anything until we accept it.  Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses." ~ Carl Jung

Since many of the quotations I save are multiple paragraphs, it would not always be feasible for me to put the entire quotation in the note title.
Rob2050
Thanks, that is helpful. So you put the name of the quotee in the note name, I had not been doing that. Most of mine are book excerpts, so I have the excerpt linked to the Book and then the Book linked to the Author. For select ones I am linking the quote to a subject and to the author directly.

I like the idea of a shorter name for the Thought Name, but sometimes hard to do, but i think ultimately makes it more useful to do that.
metta
Glad if my feedback was helpful, Rob2050.

I forgot to mention that all my quotations are grouped 2 different ways:
> Quotes by the same author are gathered as children under one parent = Author's Name
> Quotes are also linked under a variety of different topics

This provides a variety of different ways of finding and referencing the quotations I've collected.

Rob: Thanks, that is helpful. So you put the name of the quotee in the note name, I had not been doing that.

I do this for 2 reasons:
> If I forget to link the quotation to the appropriate author/parent, then later on the quotation will show up in a search, and I can create the necessary parent link.
> Having the author in the title also makes it easy to find the quote I am looking for when reviewing quotations that are grouped by topic.

Rob: Most of mine are book excerpts, so I have the excerpt linked to the Book and then the Book linked to the Author. For select ones I am linking the quote to a subject and to the author directly.

Only occasionally do I link quotations under the actual book, but that is a good alternative, as well. However, when I know the book from which the quotation has been excerpted, I do put this info in the thought note.

Rob: I like the idea of a shorter name for the Thought Name, but sometimes hard to do, but i think ultimately makes it more useful to do that.
One strategy you may want to consider for creating a short title on a long quotation is just listing a string of key words, along with the author's name. For example:
> Carl Jung: Meaning, Purpose, Choice, Identity, Insight

Hope this additional feedback is helpful.
Rob2050

You know I called this thread Quotations, but my current thing is really book excerpts which is why they are going under the book. So I can see the collection of "learnings" I got out of a given book.

If I was really talking about a Quote, a short saying or sentence someone is known for, I agree with you on direct to the author.

If you've read Love Is the Killer App by Tim Sanders, he talks about capturing short summary ideas out of books. In his case, he writes them in the cover of the book with a page reference. In a sense I am replicating that, trying to capture the essence of a book. The Brain may give added benefit of linking those ideas across books.

enkidu
As a footnote (pun intented ;-), you might take a look at the Brain with Shakespeare's entire works someone made available in the forum :

http://forums.thebrain.com/post/shakespeare-brain-3613986?highlight=shakespeare?pid=34855521

cheers
enkidu

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software