ChanurCousin

I have been a PersonalBrain (currently 3.02 Mar 1, 2004) user for many years, since the early 3.0 betas.  I recently learned of the 4.0 upgrade, and downloaded the Free "Pro Trial" version with the intent to upgrade all the way to 4.0 Pro.

I have two large existing Brains, one with about 4,500 ideas, the other with about 8,400.   The smaller one seems to have converted very smoothly, and seems to be correctly replicated.   The problem I am having is with the larger one, and the conversion has created quite a mess of idea duplication, some ideas being replicated (along with all their linked subordinate and sibling/peer ideas) as often as three times.

The conversion (which I have run twice, each on a clean copy of my original), seems to do perfectly well until the program enters the indexing of weblinks phase.   This brain has single webpages or graphics attached to at least half of all the 8,400 ideas.  The first step of the weblink indexing program finds over 10,100 weblinks to index!  (The first attempt found about 16,000 weblinks, corrected by fiddling with the root idea in the 3.02 brain, and eliminating one very high multi-parent relationship.)

The problem may have something to do with multi-parental links, as the duplications seem to occur in hierarchies below an idea that has two parents, and the icon displayed by ONE of the hierarchies changes to the [W] icon, whereas the other one of two duplicate hierarchies retain the old [e] icon from the original 3.02 brain.

Help!   I cannot possibly correct this VERY technical scientific Brain by hand, and if I cannot get it to convert, I'll not be able to upgrade.

Spacenexus
Paul

Hi. Perhaps try downloading the latest beta (4111) and see if that makes any difference to the conversion result. Also save your output.log files each time you are converting so that tech support might be able to help.

Good luck

Jim
@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
Harlan
If you're still having difficulty, your Brain file may have some problems - try sending a zip of the .brn file to support@thebrain.com along with a description of the problem. We'll help you get it converted properly.
Regards,
-Harlan
ChanurCousin

Based on the apparent relationship of "multiple parents" at the top of the duplicated hierarchies in the two previous conversion attempts, I went into my 3.02 version of my Brain and changed about 40 of the "multiple parent" relationships, especially all those I could find in the highest 4 levels of the hierarchy, to a "single parent & sibling" relationship, which is a bit misleading, but close enough not to make a hash of what I'm trying to do.

Rerunning a new conversion on the altered 3.02 Brain, I seem to have solved the problem, finding no apparent duplications of ideas, even though some multiple parent entries remain lower down in the hierarchies.  I did notice that a few entire hierarchies still failed to change the old Explorer [e] icon to the Web(?)/Wiki(?) [W] (that had been true of hierarchies that had duplications in the earlier attempts), but that's really only a cosmetic issue ... they still signify a linked web page. 

As Personal-Brain does not have any problem working with multiple parent ideas, I suspect that the large number of such entries at the top of the hierarchy might have triggered some unforeseen confusion in the conversion routine, probably sending it off up lines it had previously indexed, especially where it might have had to pass up through multiple levels of multiple-parent ideas.  But there does not seem to be any problem with the PB software itself over this issue.

In case you're curious about the type of multi-parent entries at the top of my hierarchies, it has to do with the "genealogy" of academic disciplines (e.g, "Biochemistry" from "Biology" and "Chemistry").

Harlan
That's strange. The conversion routine shouldn't have any trouble regardless of the number parent thoughts. If you'd like us to take a look at it, please feel free to send it.

PB4 uses different icons for different Web pages based on which icons are assigned to those individual sites. That is why you are seeing different icons.

Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software