bmac
When I am in a terribly poor Wi-Fi environment, or no Wi-Fi at all, on my surface Pro 4,TB 8.0.22 is extremely slow taking several minutes to start up and to show the Plex. Even then when I click on a thought, it takes even more time. Is this because it is trying to access cloud services and doesn't understand how poor the Wi-Fi environment is? Is there any way to prevent this such that the brain can then simply start up using the local files?
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i7
mcaton
TheBrain should run fine (local app) even if there is no internet connection.  You're loading a local Brain - correct? And not loading a Brain from http://www.webbrain.com in a Browser?

We'll do some testing to verify that everything is running smooth with the app, even when off line.

Two simple things that you might want to try is:
  1. going into Options > Preferences and uncheck "Check for major updates on startup."
  2. Click on the sync button and uncheck "Sync this Brain automatically"
These are the only components that I can think of that would be pinging/accessing our server.

Thanks,
Matt
bmac
Thanks Matt.  Yes, I am loading a local brain.

What's happening is strange.  If I turn off off wifi on the SP4 while in my office, the TB8 loads fine and operates normally but with no connection to the cloud.  But...if I am in a meeting outside of my office where there is very weak wifi, TB8 takes forever to load (even after I have made those adjustments you recommended above).  There is no logic to that at all.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i7
mcaton
How about another test?  In a "weak wifi" environment, log out from webbrain.com in the application (Online > Logout...)
From the login screen, click on the option "Do Not Connect to a Server."
You should still be able to open local Brain databases, but with no connection to webbrain.com.

Does startup happen faster then?

Thank you,
Matt

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software