Spacenexus

I sent an email to support but I thought I'd document here too.

I finally managed to get through the first stage of converting my megabrain from TB8 to TB10. However, I’ve come across another problem. Over 6,000 internal files apparently could not be imported due to file path error ("The files relative path cannot be longer than 150").

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
mcaton
Jim,

This is a known restraint in version 10. TheBrain Cloud now syncs to Microsoft Azure servers. Since Brains are synced to Windows servers, Windows has a 260 character path limit. Longer paths could/would cause problems when syncing, so we suggest sticking with file names that are no longer than 150 characters. (The remaining 110 characters are used by the path leading up to the file name.)

You do have this option for fixing file names in v8 prior to import... but 6,000 files is a lot of files to fix manually!
  • Close TheBrain 8
  • Use http://pathlengthchecker.codeplex.com/ to find the long file names in the _brain folder and rename them
  • Reopen the Brain in TheBrain 8
  • Use File > Utilities > Check for Modified Attachments to update the renamed files.
  • Close TheBrain 8
  • Import into v10
Matt
rengel
I had the same problem when I went from TB8 to TB10, mostly with filenames from attachments I downloaded from the web (especially news articles, which often contain the provider's and the author's name). I googled for a FileRenamer utility to shorten the filenames automatically; not ideal, but good enough (i.e. https://www.kuknet.de/; the website is in German, but the interface language can be set to English).
Reinhard, TB 10.0.36.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
Spacenexus
Matt

Thanks for the suggestion but that is not really a solution for me. Sometimes I have other file structures within a thought so it's not just long filenames but nested folders. I've over 120,000 thoughts and well over 100,000 file attachments in my megabrain.

Having operated with the capabilities of TB8 effectively it is untenable that I would migrate to a crippled product that cannot emulate that basic capability of a previous version. Nor can I somehow spend a year hunting long filenames and modifying the structure of my dataset. I've been a brain user since 1998 and it is central to my workflow. In that time I've not even considered that the core capabilities of data integrity would take a step backwards in scope.

The solution to me appears to be enable a configurable syncing solution that allows me to set up my own servers, we install my configuration on my computers and my own servers and avoid Azure and the sync length limitation altogether, especially since Windows 10 has now enabled a 32,000 character limit.

Happy to set up a call to scope or to drop by and discuss with Harlan.

Thanks

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
Cerebrum
Posted by mistake.
metta
My guess is there may be many other megabrain users who would like a solution to this problem that does not require setting up a custom server....especially if Windows 10 has now enabled a 32,000 character limit....
Spacenexus
I hear you Metta. Will be sure to discuss that and report.

Happy Hols and Merry Christmas!

Jim
@181218:
TB8022 32bit

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
metta
Many thanks, Jim!

Very much appreciate your consideration in reviewing this with TheBrain team -- and we'll be looking forward to your report/update.

Good luck coming up with a workable solution!
Spacenexus
Hi Metta

Had a talk with Matt about the challenge and there looks like there is no solution with TB10. The existing ability to embed my thousands of files in my megabrain with TB8 is not possible with TB10 due to the new file structure constrained by the use of Azure servers. I believe the outcome is that they will see if a solution is possible with a downstream version of TheBrain. Until it becomes possible to return to full TB8 capability in this regard it appears I don't have a viable upgrade path.

I'm sure they'll get to it when they can and in the meantime by TB8 megabrain is working perfectly.

Jim
@181218:
TB8022 32bit

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
metta
Many thanks, Jim -- and my apologies for the delay in seeing your update. (I've been focused on the consequences of another sudden and unannounced change to TB8 web brain: No new users can now be created on the webbrain.com platform -- which means no new users can access my privately shared training program on TB8 web brain.)

I must say I very much appreciate you taking time to share this update -- and I'm equally sorry to hear that a fix for this problem will not be in the works any time soon.

Like you, it looks like I will be sticking with TB8 for personal use for the foreseeable future since this file pathway limitation is likely to be a problem with my megabrain, as well.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software