mctrexler
The Brain 9 web client has fundamental bugs that were going to be resolved.  With 10 beta does that mean that all those bugs are being abandoned?   Are they fixed in 10 Beta?   

Mark
shatcher
Hi Mark,

TheBrain 9 & 10 use the same server and the same web client. All bugs and feature requests for the web client are still active. Thanks for checking up on this.

Cheers, Sean
mctrexler
Sean, does that mean that anyone focused on web client access should simply be switching from 9 to 10 now?  Seems odd after just a few months, but OK.  

Mark
metta
Mark, I haven't seen any significant changes (or announcements about changes) in TB9/10 web client in months.

I could be wrong, but it seems like all the significant bug fixes and new feature developments are happening now in the desktop and the mobile apps -- not in the web client.
cremoer
Would be nice, if some issues could be fixed. I find the web client important in the context of being independent! No matter, on which computer I am working, I'd like to be able to work also with the brain. That's modern computing!
metta
I agree with you completely, cremoer.

The web client is extremely important for those of us who need to access TheBrain remotely, and for those of use who are working on public and/or shared brain projects.

Unfortunately, the web client seems to have taken a back seat in relation to the desktop client, especially with the release of all the new features in TB10. (I hasten to add, many of these new features are great -- and I look forward to using them more in the days ahead.)

However, the bugs and missing features in the web client have severely limited my ability to develop my public and shared brain projects. In light of this, I will be eager to see when work on the web client will be prioritized by TheBrain team in the days ahead.

In the meantime, a few of the current web client issues and bugs have been detailed HERE -- and many more were listed HERE back in March of this year.

Unfortunately, the earlier of these 2 lists is now too old for me to be able to update (the editing function has been turned off), so I may take some time in the days ahead to create an updated version of this "bug fix wish list" by noting:
> new fixes that have since been incorporated (i.e., the "More" pins is now available) and
> new bugs that have since appeared (e.g., "Hidden" numbers are now visible on the "More" pins button).

I would also be interested to know more about the features and fixes that you have been missing, cremoer. Are there any specific bugs and/or features that you would like to see prioritized?
mctrexler
The biggest such bug at least for us is the inability to organize thoughts in TB9 or 10 web client by Type.  Since you could do that in TB8, and you couldn't use hidden numbers the way you can in TB9 or 10, we've structured the massive Climate Web using Types as a key organizational foundation.   Moving to 9 or 10 with the bug not fixed would create a lot of visual chaos.  Could we go through and manually find all of the examples and put in hidden numbers?  Yes, but it would be difficult.  Also FAR more convenient to assign a Type to 500 thoughts than to input hidden numbers individually for 500 thoughts.  

Mark
mctrexler
I would so much like to see bug fixes announced in the updates.  They always just say "various bug fixes," but which ones??????   Why do we have to wait for weeks to accidentally find out a bug was fixed in the prior release?

Mark
metta
I agree with you completely, Mark, about the problems associated with NOT being able order thoughts by type in the web client plex.

In addition, as I see it, hidden numbering is NOT a fix for not being able to order thoughts by type, even it was feasible to do massive amounts of hidden numbering in a megabrain (which it isn't):
  • First of all, hidden numbering only works with one parent thought. if a numbered child thought has multiple parents, hidden numbering will be useless when the thought is displayed under all but the original parent.
  • Perhaps even more importantly, hidden numbers behave DIFFERENTLY in the desktop than they do in the web client, and this would make the process of assigning hidden numbers extremely difficult when working in the desktop brain. Unless things have changed since I last tested this, here's what happens:
  • -- Desktop: Hidden numbers work within thought types
  • -- Web clientHidden numbers work across thought types
  • As you pointed out, hidden numbering will also be extremely difficult to maintain in a large database of thoughts since it requires so much time to change the hidden numbers (one-at-a-time) on large batches of thoughts with 2-3 digit hidden numbers -- especially when compared with the ease of switching thought types almost instantly on large groups of thoughts.
  • Finally, as indicated previously, there is the additional nuisance of hidden numbers currently displaying on the "More" pins pull-down menu.
metta

I also agree: it would be immensely helpful to know what bug fixes have been have been implemented since many of these fixes will determine when and if TB will function as intended (or as needed) for my current use case(s).

This in turn can have a huge impact on the design of any brain projects I plan to deliver in TB10.

For example, right now tags are displaying randomly in the web client without any icons. In addition, long lists of tags often overlap with the vertical notes panel.
> In light of this, I have no idea how much and/or what type of control we will eventually have over tags in the web client. This, in turn, makes it impossible for me now to plan my tag use for any public or shared brain project.
> In contrast, if an explicit update is provided when these bugs are eventually fixed, it would help me immensely in determining what I will (and will not) be able to do with tags in the TB10 web client.

cremoer
metta wrote:

I would also be interested to know more about the features and fixes that you have been missing, cremoer. Are there any specific bugs and/or features that you would like to see prioritized?

Hi metta,

I am relatively new to the brain, so the things, that I'm talking about, are quite easy and obvious. For example, when I want to assign a new type to a thought, I have to
  • create the new type
  • hit refresh (browser)
  • assign the new type to the thought

Ok, better than I thought in the beginning, when I thought, it was not possible at all, but still annoying.

Next thing: adding an image to a thought is just equally as fiddly

And then and most important thing: It seems, that I am not able to add a tag to a thought, and that's really brutal IMHO. The same is true for the iOS client. When I want to add a tag there, I am not even given the opportunity to add a tag and not even the keyboard is opening.

All in all - and that even after a short period of usage - the web and iOS clients feel very much like being beta versions. This is not a good thing, also having the fee for the sync service in mind, which is anything but cheap!!! I would have expected a lot more of these...

If you aks me for a prioritization: They are all high prio for me, because all are very obvious and when they don't happen only to me, I suspect, that everyone will run into them. That's my 2 cents Ã°Å¸Ëœâ€°
metta
Thanks for your helpful feedback, cremoer!

May I ask what browser you are using?

I just now tested the items you mentioned in Firefox, and I can add both type and tags in the web client without needing to refresh my browser. Perhaps this is an issue that needs to be reported to TheBrain Support?

As for adding in image, it is not even apparent to me how this can be done. 🙁

As for testing these issues on the iOS client, someone else will have to compare notes with you on this since I don't use a cell phone. 😉

In the meantime, thanks again for sharing your feedback. It is always helpful to identify potential bugs that may still need to be addressed. I also agree with you about the fact that the browser still feels like a "beta" version -- which, as you pointed out, is unfortunate given the price tag for the web sync services.
cremoer
metta wrote:

May I ask what browser you are using?

Yes, of course. I am using mainly chrome, but for testing purposes, I also tried it now on safari and on firefox (just installed it). On all browsers it's the very same: I cannot create a new tag, but I can assign existing ones. Strange enough, when I switch thoughts, I have to refresh the browser to see the tags again. I think, this is something for the support...

Kind regards, Kay 
metta
Thanks for the update, Kay.

Please keep us posted on what you learn from Support.
cremoer
Hi Metta,

seems, that it is a known behavior, that you cannot create tags in the web version.
The fact, that I always have to refresh the browser, was a new one...

HTH 😃

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software