kbunders Show full post »
quinnwd
I tried evernote before but I stop using it. Simply because, I can do more things on TB like I can read feeds and do notes stored in other folders etc. However, it is still up to you which of these two you are used.
d_or2000
I read an interesting story the other day called How Pythonista changed my work flow:
http://www.macstories.net/stories/automating-ios-how-pythonista-changed-my-workflow/

He is using this programming language on iOS to automate tasks between apps on the iPad. That way he can do all the work on the iPad without using a laptop. Good way to go if ever there is an iOS version of TB some day. The question indeed is not only having the TB app, although that would already be something, but also how it will smoothly integrate in a workflow exchanging info with other apps.

I read also about URL schemes and x-callback-url. Not yet completely clear how they work but they are also used to have various apps interact on iOS.
http://www.macstories.net/reviews/mr-reader-and-the-services-menu-for-ios/

Lets see what comes from TB.
jcadbiz
If my synapses are smoking it's because I just read the foregoing after a long day of frantically trying to figure out how what when why.

It occurs to me that I have a DB driven clip program for the bulk of my garbage - and I can honestly do short work of research this way and export to individual files - not the best way to export I've been telling him for a decade now.  That would be Clipmate. Or I can paste into a container like Evernote note.

So that is for ditch filling with a shovel.

However now that I am moving into operations and need to be more precise and deliberate, I'm doing more deliberate research for it - it's quite different than long term studies or just interests. And I'm finding that 1) saving the sites in bulk (UNMHT in Firefox) and 2) dropping the link into a note in an Evernote note and annotating that note gives me all the precision and access in the short form.

People call it the brain in a hundred different ways and pretty much it's designed to associate topics in a very efficient style.  That does not satisfy the first case above, the shovel and ditch treatment. As for the second case, of multitudinous short-form, right now it's actually favoring Evernote.

I don't want to see as many links in TheBrain as I have notes on "KM.EN" in Evernote. There are 43 really clean notes on the subject of Evernote from the last 48 hours, one note per subject - so it makes a great help topic assembler - even if it has no where to go with them without being transfered or exported raw.

And using a subject / tag breakdown hack that I learned to stagger as follows: KM.EN EN.MARKDOWN MARKDOWN.ACADEMIC - this creates a breadcrumb effect in the tag system that will let me back up on the fly in spite of the currently stupid design that requires you to start at the beginning to get a prompt. That and the Tag DB which is kind of half-assed in Windows for now as well, but okay.

So Evernote doesn't overkill with UNNECESSARY VISUAL LINKS and CLOUDS that you can't really get as well in The Brain as in say a Card View of the now very few and specific notes that you want. No problem there! [smile]

And by the way - it's information and knowledge and understanding, in that order of progression.  Data is the nonsense that machines handle much better than we do.
zenrain
For some people, the Evernote card view works better for how they think. Others prefer visual links. FWIW you can add hyperlinks in TheBrain thought notes as well (basically they are both HTML text editors).

You make a very good point that you don't need to add links as child thoughts, you can also add them in the notes to minimize clutter in the plex. I do this quite often, especially in documenting procedures or steps, or other information dense "stuff". Then when I find the appropriate thought I just maximize the notes window.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
jcadbiz
Hey Zenrain
- Yeah but inter-note links in both EN and TB are actually quite clumsy compared to how they should be - compare most Wiki's. Fortunately, it's not necessary to use them: Like in a wiki page, you can still build a "catalog" of keyword tag/types instead, right at the top of a note, and the note will still be the top level of the hierarchy that you want to organize. This note is then still used as a key for the data to filter results. The idea is that your keyword phrases still have to be quite specific, and should "breadcrumb" to make up for the lack of structure (see the example, above.) So you will end up with as many keywords/phrases/tags/types as notes - almost. And so that the part of the keyword to the left in the phrase will eventually produce that exact set that you want to see in the notes list. This is quite clean - the result list is only what you want to work with in EN. Likewise the exact set of notes form an ad-hoc plex of theBrain under the "TYPE" as a parent. 
Watch the gal work it in the Brain webinar called "Information with a Mission" - she is a master at it. (The Bread-crumbing is a critical hack by Ion-Christopher *Information Engineering and Quantum Magic* lean-release.)
Now with your catalog you can search the notes directly, or (better) search the tag/types separately and see the hierarchy and jump to the entire stack of notes. Fortunately this little process has emerged to the point of being useable in both programs - in spite of the types being crippled in the Free version of theBrain.
The best of 2015 is still not up to 1984 STANDARDS, actually.... 
Like in a Wiki, the EN/TB "System" SHOULD be able to automatically generate hot-links on the spot out of your in-note catalog; instead, you have to go to a separate box to call up links of tags/types or notes, and find what you want in the results.
Smoulder.
zenrain
Quote:
inter-note links in both EN and TB are actually quite clumsy compared to how they should be - compare most Wiki's.

Agreed, I used ConnectedText for quite a while and loved the way you could easily connect to other pages/notes (as well as add live searches that would return matches as links within the page) by using [[Name]] or even better, [[Name | Text to show in the notes]]. I find that using TheBrain automatic link (where you have to select the words that match the exact name of the thought and then click the circle-arrow button to create a link to the thought) helpful sometimes, but sometimes it's just easier to copy the thought link and manually add the hyperlink, especially for thoughts with longer names, or where you are using the comma trick.

Quote:
Watch the gal work it in the Brain webinar called "Information with a Mission" - she is a master at it.

I don't think I've watched that one, I'll check it out, thanks!

Quote:
Like in a Wiki, the EN/TB "System" SHOULD be able to automatically generates hot-links on the spot out of your in-note catalog

This would indeed be nice, in both TheBrain and Evernote.

I've used something similar as the subject/tag keyword hack you outlined in plain text notes, it's very powerful if you have a system and follow it, especially when your info-bucket software has good search functionality. I used (and still do a bit) NVAlt for OS X and it works particularly well there.
I was in the middle of typing that I don't do it as much in TheBrain, but realized I do something similar when naming Thoughts. I use the comma trick for dense thought areas, with the name of the parent thought in the name of the child thought, followed by a child thought identifier. This makes it easier to narrow down thoughts in the instant search results list, probably exactly the same way you are doing it in the Evernote search. [smile]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software