Spacenexus
Greetings fellow brainiacs and TB team

Although I have not had bandwidth to participate in TB9 testing actively on the forum, I have maintained some TB9 brains and explored the installs as they have been released. Admiration and kudos to the team and to the active beta testers.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable yet converting my primary megabrain (120k thoughts, 2TB size) to TB9 on a permanent basis, but I wanted to get a first impression of how it performs in TB9. Using a separate laptop, I tried importing a USB backup of the TB8 megabrain to a blank USB drive where I tried to point the TB9 megabrain to sit. However, it appears that interim import data is stored in c:\windows\temp\thebrain\... folders which wipes out the c:\ drive available space pretty quickly and then the process stalls.

I did notice the recommendation dialogue not to use TB9 with brains on a network or USB drive, but I can't get around that for now and am not worried by corruption risk at this stage as it's simply a test process. Is there any way to repoint the Temp import directory manually? Otherwise, I'm kinda stuck testing out my main brain, which will be a pain if constrained.

I had thought of installing TB9 on the blank import drive directly, if that somehow tricks the import function to temporarily store locally, but wanted to get advice first.

Thanks.

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing TB9015 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
shatcher
Hi Jim,

That is an impressively large Brain. It should work if you directly import the .brain file. TheBrain 9 would just need to rebuild the database, and not extract the entire BrainZip. Let us know if it works for you.

Cheers, Sean
metta
Do keep us posted on your testing, Jim. I have a megabrain that I would (eventually) like to import into TB9, but I haven't been brave enough to dive into that water yet! 

;-)
Spacenexus
shatcher wrote: Hi Jim,

That is an impressively large Brain. It should work if you directly import the .brain file. TheBrain 9 would just need to rebuild the database, and not extract the entire BrainZip. Let us know if it works for you.

Cheers, Sean

Thanks Sean, unfortunately, the very process of rebuilding the database causes the windows\temp folder to use up 260GB of free space on the c:\ drive and stall the process due to lack of further storage space for the conversion. That was the point of my post. Let me ask the question from another angle: is it normal to have the conversion process take up hundreds of GB's of temporary space, even for a megabrain, if all it is doing is rebuilding the database?

Either it's a current design limitation in TB9 or there's an error, either way I am unable to import my brain and I am unwilling to invest the time and effort to set up a 2TB+ of free drive space on c:\ to find out. It would be helpful to understand nominal behaviour of the import process and the expected size of temporary files in c:\windows\temp\thebrain\... folders during the process.

Metta, I'll share my experience once it's done of course. Has anyone else managed to convert a large brain and get around the temporary c:\ location limitation?

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Testing TB9015 Windows

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
metta
Thanks, Jim, for offering to keep us posted on your progress. I appreciate and share your concerns if huge amounts of space are going to be required to mange the megabrain import process.

Will be keenly interested in the advice of TB staff and other brain users who have successfully navigated the megabrain import process.

Also, can anyone from TheBrain explain what (if anything special) was required to import Jerry's megabrain in the TB9? My understanding is that he managed to migrate his very large brain into TB9 quite some time ago.

However, Jerry also does not use the notes or attachment features (except for attaching individual web site URLs), so this is going to be a complicating factor for those of us who have:
  • used the notes feature heavily and
  • imported many documents and images in our mega brains.
Harlan
There was nothing special done to import Jerry's Brain. The number of thoughts and links in a brain have a relatively insignificant impact on the overall storage space taken up by the brain. Usually 90%+ of storage space is due to attachments, including thought icons.

No one else has reported a problem running out of temporary space. As far as I know, Jim is the first to experience this issue so most people will not have a problem even with very large brains.

I'm not that familiar with the import code so I can't venture a guess as to what is happening in Jim's case, but I will ask one of our engineers to investigate and come up with a solution.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Thank you, Harlan, for your follow-up, clarification and help.

Many of us with mega brains will be looking forward to learning more about how this issue is resolved for Jim, in case we might also run into a similar challenge.
Spacenexus
Thanks Harlan, much appreciated.

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Testing TB9015 Windows

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
Spacenexus
OK, I've confirmed the simply obvious. As I've been rerunning the import attempt to be able to generate an error file when c:\ disk space runs out (http://forums.thebrain.com/post/error-importing-the-brain-8-file-9295710?pid=1300090244) I checked and confirmed that the c:\windows\temp\thebrain\... folder location is indeed being used to store the thought folders with attachments. This clearly fills out the c:\ drive before process completion.

This could be solved by having all these attachment folders being copied directly to the target directory defined in preferences, and then seamlessly being re-used for the imported end configuration. There can't even be a temporary directory of file attachments and then another permanent one being then copied from that; it has to be a single copy routine to be effective or the problem can reoccur on the target disk (If I have a 2TB brain size, I shouldn't have to have a 4TB drive just to double import).

I know these will be effectively single event upsets for any large import, but for
those generating long term large brains with attachments this is an essential configuration option. Until this or some other solution is placed I'll not be able to test with the main brain.

I recognise it might be a low priority since there may only be a few instances of this issue, but do look forward to the update when available.

Thanks

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Testing TB9015 Windows

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software