mrsandbags
I've also emailed support. I can't remember where the log files are found and I don't want to re-open TheBrain in case this exacerbates the situation. If someone can remind me I will mail them to support also.

---

I just opened TheBrain. It opened normally and told me there was an updated version (9.0.241.0) available. I allowed it to update & restart.

On restarting I see an error:

Brain Data Verification
Data is missing in the following locations:
- /Users/matt/Documents/Brains/U01/B01.
Were files from these folders moved or deleted? If you can restore them, please close TheBrain and do so before restarting.

I have not modified any files in the Brains folder and, indeed, the previous version of TheBrain opened without an error. The only thing that happened in between was allowing TheBrain to download & update.

I am alarmed at the possibility that I have lost data.

I have done a lot of work over the weekend while away and not had access to Time Machine. Presumably it is safely sync'd in BrainCloud. And I am wondering why TheBrain seems unable to heal itself…

What should I do next?

MOWER/VALDEMARIN
Experts at creating value by sharpening purpose, stimulating thinking, sharing insight, and finding hidden opportunities for you
tel +44 797 707 6709  ·  skype: matt.mower ·   http://mwrvld.com/  ·  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mattmower

TheBrain v9.0.245.0 | macOS 10.12.6 | MacBook Pro 13,1 (late 2016) 2.4Gz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 540 GPU

Harlan
The new release adds a data verification step at startup. Prior to updating to 9.0.241, the data still was missing just that the issue was not detected. If you never opened that brain, it would never have caused a problem. Most likely what happened is that it was Brain that you were no longer using and at some point the data inside the folder was deleted or moved. To resolve the message, you can do the following.
  • Quit TheBrain
  • Rename the U01/B01 to folder to U01/B01_backup
  • Go to ~/.TheBrain/v9/MetaDB and rename the file there to TheBrainMeta.db.bak
  • Restart TheBrain
This will force TheBrain to rebuild the brains listing. You will need to log in again and reset your preferences. Please do contact support if you need any help with this.
Regards,
-Harlan
mrsandbags
Harlan, thank you. Indeed these instructions worked fine.

As a suggestion though: I think this situation was predictable. Maybe when making a change that could scare the hell out of users it would be an idea to trail it in advance that this might happen? I didn't dare open TheBrain yesterday in fear of making what appeared - from the error - to be some catastrophic situation, worse.

Thanks

Matt
MOWER/VALDEMARIN
Experts at creating value by sharpening purpose, stimulating thinking, sharing insight, and finding hidden opportunities for you
tel +44 797 707 6709  ·  skype: matt.mower ·   http://mwrvld.com/  ·  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mattmower

TheBrain v9.0.245.0 | macOS 10.12.6 | MacBook Pro 13,1 (late 2016) 2.4Gz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 540 GPU

metta
I'm also concerned about this issue since I have not yet updated to v241 -- and, I confess, I don't entirely understand Harlan's response.

What exactly does this mean?
Prior to updating to 9.0.241, the data still was missing just that the issue was not detected.

Harlan also said "If you never opened that brain, it would never have caused a problem."
> Why would opening a brain (and then upgrading) be the cause of this problem? It seems to me this is perfectly normal, daily use -- not a problem scenario.

In addition, I don't understand why any data was missing in the first place.
> Matt, based on your experience with this issue, can you clarify?
> Also, Matt, was this an old, inactive brain as I think Harlan might have been suggesting -- or was this a brain you've been actively using?

Finally, is there a chance the remedial steps Harlan outlined above are going to be necessary for everyone upgrading to v241 -- or do they only apply in certain circumstances? If so, when and under what conditions?

Any additional clarification that can be provided will be appreciated.

Finally, I also agree with Matt that a clear and explicit warning about this risk of getting this error message with the v241 upgrade would be extremely helpful, especially since I'm still confused about exactly what happened here.
mrsandbags
So far as I can tell this was not related to my "main" brain. When I first started using v9 beta I had (if I remember correctly) some brain sync issues and 'started again' a couple of times. It's possible that the brain in question was left over from that. How it is was damaged I am not sure, I might have been trying to sync via Dropbox or something.

Anyway, the problem for me is that the warning that was given didn't identify the brain in question or, for example, when it was last accessed. Possibly that's because that information was corrupt. However it could have put it in the context of other (presumably not damaged) brains on the system. Had it done so I would have seen that it was not my main brain that was affected and I could even have asked it to delete the the damaged brain.
MOWER/VALDEMARIN

metta
Thank you very much for your prompt feedback, Matt.

Your explanation helps immensely, and I appreciate the additional clarification.
Harlan
The message in question will not appear under normal circumstances. When it does appear, there is no way for us to have predicted it would have appeared since the code to check for the condition was not in place before.

The change that causes this message to appear ensures greater reliability by verifying that changes to the underlying data made by external causes (IE deleting a brain folder) are detected and the user is warned as soon as possible. The application does not delete any data - it only tells you if it thinks something or someone else did delete the data.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Thanks for the additional clarification, Harlan.

It's good to know this alert is in place to warn of previous data loss due to external causes.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software