Kriggel23
Moved some of my brains from my laptop to a NAS (network attached storage), a Synology DiskStation DS411.

But now, files attached to thoughts no longer are searchable, e.g. I'm looking for any reference to "Hoffman", but only one thought is found ("Hoffman, Dustin"), and some local contacts, local emails and local iCal entries.
No single attachment is shown.
I know for sure that there are quite some PDF-files related to "Hoffman"...

Kind regards
Kriggel23

TB 7.0.4.5 / Mac OS X 10.7.5
pthompson
Kriggel23,

We typically do not recommend storing a Brain database on any kind of network storage solution as it has statistically caused problems more often than not. 
Kriggel23
Patrick,

I see the point, but I use my NAS just as an external disk with more capacity, single-user, single-access. I do close my brain / TB before disconnecting the LAN or shutting down the NAS. It's a local network connection, in-house. No replication of data, no snapshots.

The problem imho is that the search function of TB (on Mac OS X) is based - as far as I know - on spotlight. And spotlight does not cover the NAS contents, right?
What if I would store my brain on an USB stick?

Kind regards
Kriggel23
pthompson
I believe Spotlight is capable of Searching external drives, but it will sometimes require a manual re-index of the drive. If you search for this sort of thing via online search you can find several articles that explain how to do this.
Kriggel23
Patrick,

this was a good hint.
I've managed to make Spotlight index my external drive as well. Took quite some time, but here I am: in finder, now searching for "Hoffman" I get 360 PDF-files in less than a second - all of them local attachments to thoughts in a special brain of mine, located on that external drive.

But: if I search within TB for "Hoffman", I still do get only one single thought: "Hoffman, Dustin". (btw: this takes more than a second..) All 360 documents mentioned above are not found by / listed in TB.

My conclusion: if the search within TB is based on Spotlight it should show those 360 PDF-files. If it is not using / is not based on Spotlight, it should list those files anyway.

Search and find to me are  the  central functions within TB.
If they do not work or their results are not trustworthy I can paint the whole thing green and give it to the rabbits.

Kind regards
Kriggel23

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software