rengel
TheBrain's tutorials demonstrate many useful techniques every user could use. They are really great tools to learn and understand how to do things.

Alas, one has to 'break' out of TheBrain to get there (Help|Tutorials -> Web Browser). And on the website you have to adapt your workflow (searching for content, activation of videos, etc.) to the idiosyncracies of the web browser and to the ways of working the designer of the webpage deemed best. This can easily break your concentration and lead you away from your task at hand.

Say, you want to know how to format tags. How do you proceed?
  • Help function of TheBrain? - Nada.
  • The index of the User Guide? - A little scanty. And you have to know how use the search function of your PDF reader. And there are no links from the index to the topics.
  • Help|Tutorials? - When you go to the Tutorials you have to search and scroll. Then you find Matt's great tutorial that tells you all. But then you come back to your brain. What again was the right way to change the color of tag? Back to the tutorial you go... Not a nice workflow!
Altogether you have to know at least three different search techniques: in TheBrain, on the web site, in your PDF reader.

But what if the contents of this tutorial (or any other tutorial) were available as a Brain Snippet, a group of related thoughts focussed on a specific topic? What if you could download or copy such a Brain Snippet and insert in your brain? What if you had a Help Brain that had a special thought type 'Brain Snippet'?

All of the interface elements have a limited set of attritibutes that could be easily described using thoughts and notes with pictures and be integrated in a brain. Additional topics could be made available as Brain Snippets.

Life could be easier this way.

(BTW: What if the link to the tutorials were available with Help|Tutorials|<topic>? Yes, I know, the content changes with new releases. But over the years the topics have been very stable.)
Reinhard TB 9.1.19.0 and 10.0.25.0. WIN 10

Quality is the result of the attention paid to details.
metta
In the desktop interface, see:
> Help > Create a Quick Start Brain

Is this a step toward what you are looking for?
rengel
@metta
Thank you for the tip! I never tried this one...

metta
Sure thing, rengel.

Will be interested in your thoughts and feedback once you've had a chance to give it a test run.
rengel
@metta
I just tried the Quick Start Brain. So far I can say its half way to what I would expect from a help file. The links to the tutorials are there, and that is great. It covers the important points for beginners and intermediate users.

I'm missing a glossary and some screenshots that explain the widgets (controls) of the user interface visually. That would be especially helpful for foreign customers who don't know all the English terms.

The knowlegdebase brains you mention in a parallel thread provide part of the complementary information. Alas, the thoughts are not all up-to-date. (I just picked randomly 'Extended and Advanced Searches' (in the 9|10 KB) and found a screenshot of TB8. Not helpful.)

IMO, both brains should be combined and be provided with the download or at least as a download-option. To call the first one a 'Quick Start Brain', is a little misleading. For such a brain I would expect predefined templates, but under 'Use TheBrain for' I get only a list of possible applications, without further details. I.e. every student's  brain would profit from some thouhgts like 'Community', 'Topics', 'Exams', 'Grades', 'Papers', Bibliography', 'Teachers', 'Campus', 'How to learn', 'Ressources', etc. to get started. Of course, it would need a few iterations to get the right set of predefined thoughts. The same goes for other areas.

metta
I agree with you on all counts, Reinhard.
> I, too, would expect a "Quick Start" brain to be a brain template, not a collection of tutorials -- although having the collection of tutorials so readily accessible is very helpful.
> I also agree it would be a big help to have the content of TB9 User Guide (including screenshots and glossary) incorporated into one brain along with the video tutorials.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software