Kriggel23
Can you please tell me what "BrainBox" is for?

I see no advantage using BrainBox, especially compared to normal Drag&Drop, rather a setback.

With Drag&Drop, I can move or link single or multiple files, WITH ONE ACTION (i.e. click, hold, drag, and release).

Whereas with BrainBox, this becomes an at least two-step action.

I would not ask, if there were in Finder new entries in the context menu, under "Tasks" (german "Dienste". I think about "Add to current thought", "Create one new thought", "Create distinct new thoughts".
To me, the current solution ("Open with ... > TheBrain 10") is ... insufficient.

Christian
Underdog
For one thing, with BrainBox you can collect information without "interruption", i.e. without fiddling around with links and thoughts and tags and types. Like going shopping: you peruse the aisles, gather items into your cart without having to go to the checkout stand every time, pay for your item, take it out to the car, return to the store and get the next item. (I hope I am not being presumptuous about how you shop ;-).

- Michael
TheBrain 10.0.17.0 beta / 9.1.x / 8.0.2.1 / (PB) 6 || Win7

Kriggel23
Not convinced.

I'm NOT using TB as a kind of trash can, or garbage collection, but as a multi-dimensional storage rack.

Why shall I touch things two or more times, if I can sort them at once? To me, a new item (file, link, topic) is either added to an existing thought, or it will become [an attachment to] a new thought, related to existing thoughts (date, location, person, topic). I do not specify the details (label, type, notes) of links, so having just a link is ok to me. This is pretty fast and straightforward.

Compared to this, BrainBox - to me - is just an obstacle.

Christian
korm
Kriggel23 wrote:
BrainBox - to me - is just an obstacle.

Christian

BrainBox is not required, is it?   If somehow we couldn't use TheBrain unless we used BrainBox then maybe it would be an obstacle.  I don't think that's the case at this time.
Underdog
Nor do I use TB to collect "trash" (at least, not intentionally), and that is not what I meant to imply.

Why should BrainBox be an obstacle? You are not forced to use it, are you? (I'm a Windows user, so I can not tell if BrainBox would act any differently on Mac OS. In Windows, BrainBox is available to use and out of the way and does not present an obstacle.)

As to "why touch things two or more times", TB is flexible and it is up to you to work however you like. If you do dishes by touching each dish only once - washing it, drying it and putting it away before you wash the next dish - that is not an efficient way to get the task done. With TB and BrainBox you can work with metadata for each added Thought, one by one, or you can collect information on a topic (local files, weblinks, etc.) and arrange the Thought relationships and metadata later.

- Michael

Kriggel23
First, I want to apologize for using wrong, or at least hard words - I'm not a native englisch speaking person, and I do not want to hurt anybodies feelings.

BrainBox seems to offer a similar function like the existing Drag&Drop.
But, I personally do not need it. If I ever used something like "put it to TB, link it later", I had a thought for this, like "to be indexed". Okay, the difference is, that BrainBox if for all brains, a "to be indexed"-thought is within one specific brain - but that never ever was an issue for me.

A "BrainBox" did not and does not have any priority for me - I would have preferred to e.g. get another view (in addition to Normal, Outline, and Mind Map), or real date thoughts, a query language, or an API. Just to list some ideas ...

Christian
zenrain
Brainbox is more useful when working with multiple databases, and I imagine in the near future, multiple devices. It functions as a global inbox that we don't need to think about when adding items to. We can just add them quickly to the inbox and come back to it later to put the items in their respective places at our leisure. I also believe it will function with additional sources of input later. 

Will the workflow work for everyone? No. But it's been one of the top feature requests for a while now, and I believe will act as a gateway for others (like emailing to TheBrain).
macOS 10.14.3
TheBrain 10.0.42
leolit
Kriggel23: + 1000. You could just add "Print to PB", as in "Print to OneNote" feature, and get universal solution for all browsers, editors etc. Or - very simple - add "open in PB internal browser" button (it would be much easier) and then save pages using the features of your own program. No need to constantly keep this addons true to new versions etc etc. Mark my words, you will need to put big efforts in making this Brainbox working correctly.
mcaton
Thanks all for the lively discussion. I felt that drag and drop required more steps than Brain Box does.  With drag and drop, when I find a web page I like, I would need to first navigate to the correct Brain... then navigate to the correct thought... then return to the web browser (being sure to leave TheBrain open on my screen at the same time) and finally, drag and drop.

With Brain box, when I find a web page I like, I click a button. The next time I'm conveniently in the desired Brain, I can drag and drop (without leaving the application) to my desired Thought.

As zen mentioned, it's a great foundation and more features are on the way.

No two Brains are ever alike.  If drag and drop is still your process of choice, it's still available 🙂

Thanks,
Matt
angela99
I LOVE the BrainBox. I do a lot of research, so my default collector has long been Evernote. Not because I love it, but because of the Web Clipper. This meant that I wasn't using TB as much as I could, and wanted to.

With several busy websites, and loads of content on them, it's a one-second task for me to click onto BrainBox, and collect multiple webpages, then drag them underneath "updates needed" or "remove" notes in TB. I'm hoping that over time, BrainBox will become as functional as Web Clipper, so that I can add notes as I collect... 

All good for me. :-)
Kriggel23
Harlan,

do not reinvent the wheel.
The "heart" of TB is the plex. Please concentrate on this, improve it.
[more views, other thought types (date, location, number), multiple links between two thoughts, other links than child/parent/jump, ...]

Just some rhetorical questions to you:
How many issues do we have concerning the notes editor?
How many issues are still open?

BrainBox, Timeline, embedded Browser - pleasantries, not even working fine. Sorry to be so harsh, but that's what I see.

I watch the development of TB, thoughtful. My doubts are growing.

Christian
miadonis
I suppose the BrainBox is a sort of 'mind dump' feature that's very common across productivity apps. Most apps just call it an 'Inbox' or 'Brain Dump'. 

(They can't all be wrong—can they?)

I haven't used the feature yet, but I also haven't had to do any kind of deep research online. I can see how it can be useful to a lot of people who like to collect the information first and then begin sorting it within the Brain and away from the distractions of a web browser.

Regards,
Matt

MacOS 10.14.1TB 10.0.29

Underdog
Will there be a possibility to use BrainBox offline (i.e., without login) for local files, like the Send to <Brain name> function in TheBrain 8 and previous versions? I really miss this feature in TB9/10.

- Michael

Harlan
Hi Michael,

Yes, BrainBox already enables “send to” functionality even if you are offline.
Regards,
-Harlan
Underdog
The function is enabled, yes, but to use the function, you have to be online:
screen_20180929_092158.png
This dialog appears when trying to send a local file to BrainBox without user login.

- Michael

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software