b4l4nc3r

I hope my idea of a brain is the same as that of PB team, because otherwise it seems I'll often be sent to hell because of the mismatch of our views!! I WANT A MASSIVE CENTRAL BRAIN FOR EVERYTHING!! Not many ini pitsi ones!!! This means the features has to support for example finding the right thought quickly no matter how big the brain is. And now explaining the problem:

 

Normally prior to this release, the quick search result entries --dynamically displayed directly above the search terms while typing-- would show the parent of the search result thoughts IF there are at least TWO OR MORE IDENTICAL thoughts! This way I could find the match I'm looking for much faster.  This behavior has stopped!! No I have to guess and when I'm wrong (which is often) I've to redo the search and go!! I hate this, very much.

 

For example: Software > Company X AND Software > Company Y AND Software > Company Z; Me

The last one has two parents! The thought called Company Z and the thought called Me. Now it just shows Software Software Software. And this is only the tip of the ice-berg! …… sigh…. the pain… the horror...

 

This is not the first time PB team has removed a feature that was working fine, from my experience. If this is their way of checking out how many users are actually depending on a certain feature (for their own statistics), then it's not really a "user friendly" method!! If it's meant as an insiders joke, then let met surprise you by saying IT"S NOT FUNNY!

 

A more probable reason is that it's in their way and they didn't expect anyone depending on it OR it's simply a mistake which I certainly hope so.

 

Either way, I want it back.


Anyone else with me and cares enough to let us know? Please vote here to let them know how much it means to us: http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/4597-personalbrain/suggestions/314224-bug-5-5-0-6-beta-quick-search-results-has-no-parents-

Quote
b4l4nc3r

After a couple of hours of experiencing the wrong behavior I restarted and then it worked correctly again! Is there an automatic updater? I doubt it. But I didn't change anything about the brain! No import/exports or what ever! I did change from float to autohide-bottem and then back, could that been the trigger? It doesn't make sense.

 

In any case, I hope it stays working right. And I hope someone else reports something in this regard, because I hate features that behave like ghosts!

Quote
zenrain
You may want to post issues with the Beta to the Beta forum. That way people who are waiting for the final release don't have to read through beta issues, and other testers only have to look in one place.

I haven't run into this issue myself, but I'll keep an eye open.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Quote
dyslucksia
He's right, you know. Parents of Thoughts with identical names aren't displayed in Instant Search Results in 5.5.0.6.



Oh well, another good reason not to upgrade yet.

I searched on identical and duplicate in the 5.5 forum section without finding this posted before, which is surprising. Agree with zenrain, please post anything related to 5.5 in the 5.5 Beta section. Maybe one of the mods could move this thread there to prevent duplication.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Quote
dyslucksia
Quote: I hope my idea of a brain is the same as that of PB team, because otherwise it seems I'll often be sent to hell because of the mismatch of our views!! I WANT A MASSIVE CENTRAL BRAIN FOR EVERYTHING!!

May I call you Marvin?

Don't forget that if you have a massive central Brain for everything and it crashes, the result is instant lobotomy.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Quote
zenrain
Hmm, I'm unable to duplicate this as of yet. OSX 10.5.6 PB 5.5.0.6-b. It's either OS related or intermittent. Since B4l4nc3r said it started working later on, I'm going with the latter.

Edit: I have a massive central brain, and make backups religiously.
Click image for larger version - Name: Screen_shot_2009-09-12_at_7.50.31_AM.JPG, Views: 171, Size: 26.70 KB
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Quote
dyslucksia
Comparing zenrain's post and mine, it's starting to look like an OS-related problem.

Oh dear. This won't please DarkStar.

Quote: This is not the first time PB team has removed a feature that was working fine, from my experience. If this is their way of checking out how many users are actually depending on a certain feature (for their own statistics), then it's not really a "user friendly" method!! If it's meant as an insiders joke, then let met surprise you by saying IT"S NOT FUNNY!


Settle down, my friend, chill out and have one of my Prozacs. Yeah, I know, if I could get my paws on the source I'd have it fixed in ten minutes too. But it's part of the zen of PB. Long may it reign.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Quote
Steeph
dyslucksia wrote: Quote: I hope my idea of a brain is the same as that of PB team, because otherwise it seems I'll often be sent to hell because of the mismatch of our views!! I WANT A MASSIVE CENTRAL BRAIN FOR EVERYTHING!!

May I call you Marvin?

Don't forget that if you have a massive central Brain for everything and it crashes, the result is instant lobotomy.


A brain the size of a planet!

I'll rather have bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

More ontopic: I've seen this behaviour as well, but not always. Next time I see it I'll check if a PB restart fixes the problem.
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
Quote
b4l4nc3r

    I think this should cover everything  :

     

    zenrain wrote: You may want to post issues with the Beta to the Beta forum. That way people who are waiting for the final release don't have to read through beta issues, and other testers only have to look in one place.

    dyslucksia wrote: I searched on identical and duplicate in the 5.5 forum section without finding this posted before, which is surprising. Agree with zenrain, please post anything related to 5.5 in the 5.5 Beta section. Maybe one of the mods could move this thread there to prevent duplication.

     

    I agree! I wasn't thinking, while wanting to paste from OneNote (it streams almost instantly to HDD not having to worry to redo tedious details) as quickly as possible before I lost it even more

    Would someone with the power care to fix my mistake for the sake of consistency?

     

    zenrain wrote: I haven't run into this issue myself, but I'll keep an eye open.

    Thnx I'm sure everyone evolved would appreciate it...

     

    dyslucksia wrote: He's right, you know. Parents of Thoughts with identical names aren't displayed in Instant Search Results in 5.5.0.6.

     

    [IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/dbtmhg.png[/IMG]

     

    Oh well, another good reason not to upgrade yet.

     

    YES, great news because it means… I’M NOT CRAZY !!

     

    Maybe it's an indexing lag or something. I suddenly started to remember that it's not the first time I experienced such lag in the past not to long after installing a new version (don't know which one).

     

     

    dyslucksia wrote: Quote: I hope my idea of a brain is the same as that of PB team, because otherwise it seems I'll often be sent to hell because of the mismatch of our views!! I WANT A MASSIVE CENTRAL BRAIN FOR EVERYTHING!!

     

    May I call you Marvin?

     

    Don't forget that if you have a massive central Brain for everything and it crashes, the result is instant lobotomy.

     

    Although an entertaining idea an partially desirable , but it wouldn't be accurate as I'm not depressed and don't have that size of a brain. Not yet any way , and not planning to obviously for practical reasons , although I could use Mars since no life support anyway . I guess you could call that a ULTRA MEGA UNBELIEVABLY MASSIVE brain! Massive is good enough for me !

     

    And I trust PB team's tech as they have and ace up their sleves: BrainEKP and there is no way they would let a brain get corrupted because of it's size before one is rich enough (or convinces a company) to get a BrainEKP server license (25000 per server :|). + like

     

     

    zenrain wrote: Hmm, I'm unable to duplicate this as of yet. OSX 10.5.6 PB 5.5.0.6-b. It's either OS related or intermittent. Since B4l4nc3r said it started working later on, I'm going with the latter.

    Edit: I have a massive central brain, and make backups religiously.

     

    AHOI CO-MASSIVE-FAN -san (-san Japanees respectful postfix)! Yep, like u said, there is always plan B(ackup)

     

     

    dyslucksia wrote: Comparing zenrain's post and mine, it's starting to look like an OS-related problem.

     

    Oh dear. This won't please DarkStar.

     

    Quote: This is not the first time PB team has removed a feature that was working fine, from my experience. If this is their way of checking out how many users are actually depending on a certain feature (for their own statistics), then it's not really a "user friendly" method!! If it's meant as an insiders joke, then let met surprise you by saying IT"S NOT FUNNY!

     

     

    Settle down, my friend, chill out and have one of my Prozacs. Yeah, I know, if I could get my paws on the source I'd have it fixed in ten minutes too. But it's part of the zen of PB. Long may it reign.

     

     

    Hmm… U could test it with a small public or new brain and a separate installation if it's possible. Well, because the accelerators are working great and really boosts one's flow while cruising one's brain ! Don't use the ALT key modifier yet thought, it's slow and they know and will try to do something about it.

     

    … and oh please.. No chemicals of this kind (Prozacs) for such reason for me and I almost immediately think of SOAD's song

    hmm… it's the truth that hurts… some day we'll fix it… now as hole still in process… always on the way … becoming…  like the perfect PB … that would be nice...

     

     It seems I need to rant to blow the steam building in me and communicate my frustrations until I get my zen back which I've the minute the ghosts reappeared and with the after care of so many good souls like you guys

     

     

    Steeph wrote: dyslucksia wrote: Quote: I hope my idea of a brain is the same as that of PB team, because otherwise it seems I'll often be sent to hell because of the mismatch of our views!! I WANT A MASSIVE CENTRAL BRAIN FOR EVERYTHING!!

     

    May I call you Marvin?

     

    Don't forget that if you have a massive central Brain for everything and it crashes, the result is instant lobotomy.

     

    A brain the size of a planet!

     

    I'll rather have bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

     

     

     

    That rhymes

    But I've to disagree… I did seem to need to drink to get on the dance-floor and finally abandon the on the side plant-posture , but after a while didn't need it anymore as my body and my soul grew fond of the feeling to move to the beat and consciously choosing the course… take the wheel and drive the stream of the river of my energy my way instead of the drunk way … I believe in the right tool for the job and workarounds until then (drinking)… but it's not the long term one

    Wait a sec… that's not right.. I don't want a frontal labotomy either … I've plan B(ackup)

     

    Steeph wrote:

     

    More ontopic: I've seen this behaviour as well, but not always. Next time I see it I'll check if a PB restart fixes the problem.

     

    Great.. Let us now if you know more…

Quote
Darkstar
We've had that issue in the past, where the parents were not being shown for dupes. There are workarounds when linking (link to them all, then remove the wrong ones), but not for instant activating.
-Darkstar
Quote
b4l4nc3r
hmm...
????? ..........??
it's just weird...
I'm just glad it suddenly started working again ..

Quote
dyslucksia
Mine isn't.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Quote
b4l4nc3r
dyslucksia wrote: Mine isn't.


Try keeping it open for as long as you can before restarting. If it's the indexing lag, then it should be fixed by the restart. I'm trying to recall the sequence before mine worked. I Also change the view from float to hide bottem and back before the restart.
Quote
Darkstar
Curious. On my XP system running 5.5.0.6 (with Lib), it is PARTIALLY showing parents on identical items.

That is, one item doesn't show its parent, another duplicate name does. I presume the first dupe item PB found (but not necessarily in the sort/display of the instant search box) is the one without the parent info.


Click image for larger version - Name: One_parent_item_showing.png, Views: 98, Size: 13.24 KB
-Darkstar
Quote
SamCox
Does the indicated thought actually have a parent? I've seen similar Instant Search results after inadvertently creating a new thought when attempting to link to an existing thought.

-- Sam

Click image for larger version - Name: x.jpg, Views: 94, Size: 22.85 KB
Quote

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software