b4l4nc3r

Now I've noticed that everything in PB is surprisingly slow on the extended monitor, much slower compared to the blazing speed on the primary screen. When I say everything, I really mean everything! It's really draining my energy! MS Outlook 2007 & OneNote 2007 both work blazing on the extended screen. I don't get it.

And using personal brain on the extended screen makes the CPU go most of the time around 40-53% during the rendering after activating a though in normal view!  In contrast to 10-35% on the primary screen.

Pasted from <http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3659356&pid=35435934#post35435934>

Uservoice voting: http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/4597-personalbrain/suggestions/325844-bug-5-5-0-8-lag-on-extended-monitor

b4l4nc3r
My CPU argument isn't really accurate any more, after further testing it's around

40-53% during rendering on both screens. The lag on the Extended monitor is absolute though.

b4l4nc3r

It's back, the ALT triggered lag. I've not changed any of my start up settings. Just logged off and then on. It doesn't matter whether I use the one with or without the indexing-library. Well, it doesn't change for me, as I've practically have abandon it as I don't have a better choice.

BUT WAIT, what this!! The extended monitor issue is gone! It changed to the ALT lag!

Pasted from <http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3659356&pid=35437249#post35437249>

b4l4nc3r

I think I'm starting to see a connection. Now that the PB extended monitor lag is gone, the ALT lag is also gone while PB is on the extend monitor. BUT it's back while on the main screen!!!

Pasted from <http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3659356&pid=35437293#post35437293>

b4l4nc3r

YES, I've got it! A very good trick/workaround and a possible lead for a fix from the PB team.

IF I've just started PB AND it opens on the main-screen THEN the thought navigation is slow BUT it slowly speeds up to a good speed which after 1 minute or 2. AND the ALT triggered lag is back!

BUT if I then move the already open PB brain window to the extended-screen THEN EVERYTHING IS BLAZING!!! THE ALT LAG IS GONE AND THE  NAVIGATION IS MUCH MUCH FASTER THAN IT"S ON THE MAIN SCREEN O MY GOD THE JOY!!! IT"S REALLY REALLY BLAZING, I CAN FEEL THE WIND AGAINST MY FACE …. AND SO MUCH MUCH MORE SPACE FOR A REEEEAAAALL EXTENDED VIEW….. YEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

BUT if I CLOSE PB WHILE it's on the extended-screen AND wait until it's out of the memory so that the windows position is saved and can be used. AND THEN I start PB again it will open ON the extended-screen.  AND THEN the behavior is exactly the opposite! It's slow on the extended-screen but blazing on the main-screen. BUT with one exception, the lag on the extended-screen stays and is much worse than when lagged on the main-screen  no matter how long I wait.

SO the trick/workaround for those with dual-screens is to CLOSE PB on the screen  THAT YOU WON"T BE USING IT ON so that when it opens  next time YOU MOVE THE WINDOW TO THE OTHER SCREEN THAT YOU WILL BE USING IT ON TO CRUISE YOUR BRAIN SPLENDIDLY!!!!

I've reproduced this 3 times. Can anyone else with this problem or interest confirm this?

b4l4nc3r
OH MAN!!!

After everything is blazing on the extended-screen I've activated another Saved Extended View the speed goes to the toilet! Even after going back to normal view! The only solution is to repeat the above mentioned trick/workaround! Leave the extended view which you want to react fast open before closing the brain on the other screen. The Extended View which is opened at start-up using the workaround is fast, BUT ONCE ACTIVATED ANY EVEN THE SAME VIEW WHICH STARTED BLAZING WITH THE WORKAROUND!! AGAIN THE SPEED GOES TO THE TOILET AND THE ALT LAG RETURNS!!! Now I've reapply the workaround everytime I want to switch a view! This sucks beyond words!!!

dyslucksia
I bet you can't condense this into one post of maybe 2-3 short paragraphs at most.

Try it when you come down off whatever you're on.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
b4l4nc3r
BTW, I've deleted my replies to dyslucksia, because it was out of topic. If you're interested, I can send you a backup copy I've kept of the entire conversation.
mbaas
Hmm, looks like we've missed something

Anyway, back to the topic: I'm working with two screens as well, with PB always open on #2. But as this from a laptop which I also standalone, I usually take care to have PB on #1 when  closing, so w/o knowing I've avoided the problem - if there is any, which I doubt after testing. When I move PB to #1, it works same speed as on #2. I've repeatedly changed monitors, but could not notice a speed-difference.

Do you possibly have some tools running which might interfere?

b4l4nc3r

No, like I said, if I reverse the workaround, it will be blazing on the main-screen. As long as PB doesn't start on the screen which you want it to be as fast as possible.
b4l4nc3r
mbaas wrote: Hmm, looks like we've missed something

better this way, we can focus on what really matters. Getting our brains fixed .. oh it's just mine that needs fixing
b4l4nc3r
Oh... right.. and as long as I don't activate an extended view ... because other wise I'll need to repeat the workaround to get back the speed
b4l4nc3r
Ah... but the speed decrees on the main monitor differs slightly in the "slow mode" scenario. Like activating an Expanded View. BUT it's still slightly slower than it was right after I used the workaround! AND is significantly slower in the "slow mode" while on the extended-screen.
b4l4nc3r
mbaas wrote:

Anyway, back to the topic: I'm working with two screens as well, with PB always open on #2. But as this from a laptop which I also standalone, I usually take care to have PB on #1 when  closing, so w/o knowing I've avoided the problem - if there is any, which I doubt after testing. When I move PB to #1, it works same speed as on #2. I've repeatedly changed monitors, but could not notice a speed-difference.

Can you please compare the speed on your main-screen by using the workaround ( and reversed ) to "speed up" and "slow down" PB?

The difference can only be felt, but it's there. And on the extended-screen it's too obvious, on my machine in any case.
Harlan
Please try all this in safe mode again... I strongly suspect a driver or other 3rd party problem.

Perhaps your graphics card optimizes for one screen or the other and doesn't have enough fast memory to handle both screens (some cards use two different sets of video memory for different operations). Also you might try changing the color resolution (24 or 16 bit color or even 256 color instead of 32 bit color).

Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software