galactic_star
Hi!

This is a bug report about Local Thought URL /Local Web Link.

I will assume Local Thought URL and Local Web Link is the same because they have the same function and in v8 the term "Paste Thought URL" is used for inter-brain links.

BUGS Found
The bugs are maybe due to a different brain files GUID

1.) Local Thought URL function not working for a single Brain. Importing a brainzip with Local Thought URLs is not preserved.

2.) For Multiple Brains, Inter-Brain Links are not preserved, Importing 2 or more brainzip with Local Thought URLs link between each other are lost.

3.) Local Thought URL paste Thought URL/paste Web Link defaults to the word "local". In v8, it copies the name of the Thought instead.

mcaton
Galactic,

Thanks for posting. I replicated and documented #1.  In regard to #2, both the Brain and specific thought is being referenced in the link.  So even if you import the destination Brain into the same, new Brain - your link is still looking for the original Brain.

I'm seeing Thoughts named "preview.webbrain.com" when pasting a link to another Thought in a different Brain.  Still a bug that I'll write up, but I don't see the word "local". Can you send a screenshot?

Thank you,
Matt
galactic_star
Matt,

Thanks for checking the bugs[smile] 

You're right regarding bug #2, the bug in #2 is related to bug #1 where the imported Thought have new GUID. 

I think it's because I'm testing TheBrain in local data mode, maybe you're signed-in that's why you are getting the "preview.webbrain.com" name for the Thought, it should have copied Thought name not replaced by "preview.webbrain.com"

Can you test local data mode to see if it shows the word "local"? 
mcaton
Galactic,

Bingo!  Tested and confirmed.  Regardless, the Thought should have the name of the original.  I'll update the documentation.

Thanks,
Matt
galactic_star
Thank you Matt![kiss]
hjh1
Strange in v 9.0.204.0 on July 17th - so the problem seems difficult?

"past web link" to paste the local thought URL from another brain is only visible (on right click...), if the thought URL is the home thought !
(by the way: you cannot fix a keyboard shortcut either)

Alternatively, if you add link from attachments - the program opens the webbrain, not the local brain...
Thirdly, you can always copy the home thought's URL, paste it, then copy the URL of the thought wanted and replace the other ... but  that's much expenses
mcaton
Hjh1,

Thanks for posting. Are you referring to the Thought names not being the same in Brain #2 after being pasted (with Copy Local Thought URL) into another Brain?  This is marked as a feature request, #3650 - therefore is a little bit lower down the line in terms of priority for our engineers.  Regardless, still documented and will be addressed in a future build.

Additionally, even when you see the thought named Preview.webbrain.com - you should still be forwarded to the original Thought in the first Brain where you copied the local Thought URL.

Thank you,
Matt
hjh1
Whatever the "name" looks like: I'm referring to not being able(!) to paste a previously copied local thought URL as "web link" (on right click) - because this menu option is simply not there.
If I instead insert the link by "add/entering URL", the program always tries to connect online.

Meanwhile (since I'm running the brain on 2 computers - it suddenly works there): for some reason "paste web link" (keyboard shortcut "paste on item" - how should I know?) is always in the menu - so far.
One difference was in preferences/..."link to dropped files" instead of "move..." Maybe this was the reason?

Maybe you could stably integrate "paste web link" or "paste on item" into the edit menu (there you can copy the thought's URL, but not paste another)

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software