wvdb
Seemingly a major bug: when using the 'extended' search, by entering some term and hitting the search button, the CPU goes to 100% and the application becomes totaly unresponsive (the wheel stops turning). A forced quit is required.

the following is added to the output.log after hitting search:

Search completed in 1104
null
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:103)
        at java.io.FileReader.<init>(FileReader.java:55)
        at com.thebrain.personal.g.g.a.a(Unknown Source)
        at com.thebrain.searchengine.l.a.try(Unknown Source)
        at com.thebrain.personal.g.h.a.b.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.thebrain.personal.g.h.a.if(Unknown Source)
        at com.thebrain.personal.g.h.c$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:300)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:210)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:195)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:187)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:121)

and maybe related, during startup the following exception is logged:

Loading stage 6
Time to initialized main window: 17295
Retrieval of thought id Phoenix,3157 failed
java.lang.Exception
        at com.thebrain.bfc.c.g.long(Unknown Source)
        at com.thebrain.bfc.a.d.g.for(Unknown Source)
        at com.thebrain.bfc.a.d.g.a(Unknown Source)
        at com.thebrain.bfc.e.b.a(Unknown Source)
        at com.thebrain.bfc.e.b.do(Unknown Source)
        at com.thebrain.bfc.e.b.run(Unknown Source)

version: 4.0.3.0 on Intel Mac, OS-X 10.4.8

regards

Wouter VdB
Harlan

Thanks for the info... Anyone else seeing this?

Is this possibly a Mac only issue? I don't have a Mac handy to try this on at the moment, but search seems to be working fine in Windows.

Regards,
-Harlan
wvdb
I just tested on a fresh brain, and the problem did not occur. The startup with the fresh brain did not threw the 'Phoenix,3157' exception either.

Could it be that there is some heavy duty indexing/searching going on? I have thousands of thoughts with hundreds of pdf papers, dozens of word docs and even a couple dozen complete books as pdfs in my brain. I did thought that pdfs are not indexed yet, though...

I'll leave it 'running' for a bit longer now to see what happens.

regards

Wouter VdB
Harlan

Wouter, please try doing a search in the same Brain where you are having the problem but with a different search term. Looking at the log, it looks like the search has completed, it just crashed when trying to display the result...

PB4 is pretty smart about indexing - it does not "index in the background" like other search apps such as Google desktop, running around looking at everything constant... Instead it indexes only when you actually make a change to the thought - so if you haven't made changes, there shouldn't be any indexing happening.

You could also try re-indexing your Brain to see if that solves the problem as there were a lot of changes made to the last release. (Choose "Rebuild Search Index" from the "File" menu).

-Harlan

Regards,
-Harlan
wvdb
Ok, it has been 'running' long enough now, i'm pretty convinced it really hangs. I'll look at the other options tomorrow. I really need to go now, it's beyond 2am over here in Paris ;-)

Cheers

Wouter VdB
peraltar
I've experienced the same issue.  I tried re-indexing, but it still locks up on the search.

This is also on Windows XP SP2 and Java 1.6.
Harlan

Please let us know if this is happening for every search or only for certain words. Thanks.

Regards,
-Harlan
Daniel

I attached an image to a thought: image.jpg. I do a search for ‘image’ (using the search box located in the left-low corner of the Plex) and I get a similar error in the output.log file:

Search completed in 3905

null

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:273)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:183)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:173)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:168)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:160)

In my case, PersonalBrain continues running and the search results are displayed (including the image.jpg result).

The error occurs when the search matches with a file that not is a text document.

We are in the same bug?

wvdb
The search causes the app to hang for all search terms I tried, and also after a rebuild of the index.

regards

Wouter VdB
Ray
I have had the same problem but oddly enough it would happen repeatedly with some words but not with other words. I have about 18,000 thoughts and over 2 GB of data files. When the search was successful it was very quick otherwise it froze up. This happened on the PC version but not on the Mac version 4.03. Today I tried this on both the PC and the Mac with the same database. The Mac version was ok but the PC version froze up with certain words. The same search words were used on the Mac and there was no trouble.
Ray
Langley, BC
wvdb
This problem is not solved in PB 4.0.3.2.

I was however able to make a small example brain which demonstrates this problem (at least on my system). A search for 'luc' is ok, but a search for 'wouter' makes the application hang.

Does this issue with this example brain also shows on other platforms?

hope this helps

Wouter VdB
Harlan

Thanks for posting the example file. Our engineers believe that this problem has been addressed but the code has not been incorporated into a release as of yet. We are testing using your example now...

Regards,

-Harlan

Regards,
-Harlan
Daniel

In my WindowsXP, the search-test brain does not hang the application when I search for ‘wouter’ in PersonalBrain 4.0.3.2, however I get an exception in the output.log file:

Search completed in 2634

null

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:273)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:183)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:173)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:168)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:160)

The search results are in the attached screenshot.

wvdb
FYI, PB4.0.4.1 still hangs on searching for some terms.

Wouter VdB
peraltar
I am also still seeing this issue under 4.0.4.1 (w/Windows XP SP2, Java 1.6.0).  After rebuilding the index, I have been able to search using more terms than before, but on common terms (like 'text'), it hangs the computer.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software