Cerebrum
This has happened on the last three updates:
  1. I see a new update in the Software Releases and Updates forum. Most recently it was Window version 9.0.256.
  2. I launch TB9 and there's no notification of a new version.
  3. I go to Help, Check for Update and get a message: "Newer Version Available".
  4. I click on Download and I see "Downloading update..."
  5. The progress indicator gets stuck at around 30%.
  6. Eventually the update times out.

This most recent time I tried the update twice with the same results. Then I followed the steps above again so I could report them in this post and the update ran fine. [confused]
Also, at some point (in the second update attempt) I unintentionally dismissed the notice that happens at Step #6 but is was something like "Unable to proceed with update."

I've noticed with previous updates that everything runs fine if the software detects a new version at startup.
Harlan
Thanks for reporting.

The update check does not run automatically at startup if it has already been done recently so that is normal.

As far as the download hanging in at 30%, that’s a connection issue of some kind that is probably coincidentally happening and unlikely to be related to whether you get the automatic notification. As an improvement we could try to detect a hang in the download process and retry.

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Regards,
-Harlan
metta

I've had multiple (different) issues with TB9 locking up during an update download, at which point TB9 needs to be closed manually using my Win7 task manager.

These issues are all documented in my recent help desk tickets. Will let you know (here and in the help desk) if I have any trouble with the most recent (256) update which I will be initiating now.

metta
Update
> No problem this time with the 256 update on my Win7 desktop.
> However, the first time I initiated the update download on my Win7 notebook, TB9 instantly locked up, and had to be shut down manually using the task manager. The second time I initiated the download on my notebook, the update proceeded without a hitch.

FWIW, this lock-up scenario has actually happened several times now on each of my computers -- but it doesn't happen consistently, only occasionally.
Cerebrum
I've also experienced a lock-up when updating.
Harlan wrote:
As far as the download hanging in at 30%, that’s a connection issue of some kind
Highly unlikely, unless you mean that is is a connection issue at your end.
I have a very fast, very reliable internet connection. I download several gigabytes of data of every day with no problems but, somehow, the small 85 Mb Brain update file stalls. I do not have similar problems with any other software or website.
Quote:
The update check does not run automatically at startup if it has already been done recently so that is normal.
How long ago is "recently"? In any case, I can accept that the problem is not related to the update check at startup.
Harlan
Yes, we believe is a connection issue with Amazon’a S3 servers. For some reason they occasionally stop midway through the download.

Update checks are only done at startup when it hasn’t already been done in a while. I don’t remember the exact frequency.

The problem with not finishing the update is a known issue and is due to the application not shutting down completely. It is somewhat complex to sort out due to the interaction with the embedded browser processes. 
Regards,
-Harlan
Cerebrum
FWIW, I launched TheBrain today and there was a notification about version 9.0.257.0.
That's four days from the last update.

The download worked fine.
mcaton
Cerebrum,

Yes, just because 9 is now officially released, doesn't mean that development will stop.  New features will be part of 9.1, but any issues we can resolve along the way will still be released in 9.0.X whenever and as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Matt
Cerebrum
Matt, I don't know what you're responding to. I didn't say that development has stopped. This topic is about problems with downloading updates.  

My previous post indirectly addressed Harlan's comment:
Quote:
Update checks are only done at startup when it hasn’t already been done in a while. I don’t remember the exact frequency.
To me, four days is a very short time between updates and yet TheBrain still checked at startup. Frankly, I don't understand why there would be any built-in frequency (exact or otherwise) for checking the availability of updates. Check every time -- users have the option to bypass the update.

Today I experienced a lock-up when downloading 9.0.258.0.
I had to shut down TheBrain using Windows Task Manager. The second attempt at downloading worked fine.
Cerebrum
Today I was prompted about version 9.0.263.0 and, when I tried downloading it, there was this message:

Capture.jpg 
metta
Similar but different problems (lock-up/sync issues) with v263 installation on both of my brain installations:
> Win7 Desktop
> Win7 Notebook

Both issues reported in help desk with video and one output log.
mcaton
Thank you for the update and sorry to hear that this is occurring in 90.263.  This issue is still under review.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software